I seem can't meet 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• Oh_Cat
    Oh_Cat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Say hello to my little friends - the jar of peanut butter and a spoon.

This! :blushing:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you really don't want to or can't eat lunch, my other suggestion is to bulk up your breakfast. If you want to eat cereal, that's ok, but add in some fruit and nuts. Have a sandwich with your cereal. Have a glass of juice. Get a full fat latte to drink in the afternoon. Some people do well with eating only a couple of times a day, but you have to be eating enough to make it healthy.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    A bowl of cereal for breakfast keeps you full until 5pm? Come on now...

I've done that before...but replace 'bowl' with 'family size box'
  • InvadingObsession
    InvadingObsession Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to eat out of boredom, and I eat when I'm stressed (made a bunch of brownies last semester during deadlines; no one saw them but me that night) and it makes me feel guilty as it should so I don't eat when I'm not hungry.
    I suffer from acute panic attacks but I'm not sure how that would affect my appetite unless I'm actually having one.
    And 60g of cereal in the morning and a huge mug of coffee, I ate a few hours ago and it feels like I've just finished; so yeah it fills me up all day.
    Also, student house fridges...not the best at keeping anything 'fresh' so I buy frozen veg and only have salad when I think I can afford to waste most of the stuff I buy.
    I might see if I can grab a snack or something when I'm in town today, see if I can manage to eat that.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I used to eat out of boredom, and I eat when I'm stressed (made a bunch of brownies last semester during deadlines; no one saw them but me that night) and it makes me feel guilty as it should so I don't eat when I'm not hungry.
    I suffer from acute panic attacks but I'm not sure how that would affect my appetite unless I'm actually having one.

If you're not hungry during the day, eat more at breakfast and dinner.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    A bowl of cereal for breakfast keeps you full until 5pm? Come on now...

I've done that before...but replace 'bowl' with 'family size box'

:laugh: I can see how that would work. I have never liked milk so I have never been a cereal fan..
  • InvadingObsession
    Options
    I'm already full from what I eat at breakfast so I'll try bulking up my evening meals; I could add a slice of bread and butter like my dad does or see if there's anything else I could add to them to make it a proper meal (I mostly just have pre-mixed frozen veg with fish/chicken/nut roasts because I'm a picky eater).
    I'll try to drink more juice throughout the day as well and see if that could get me to 1200.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I'm already full from what I eat at breakfast so I'll try bulking up my evening meals; I could add a slice of bread and butter like my dad does or see if there's anything else I could add to them to make it a proper meal (I mostly just have pre-mixed frozen veg with fish/chicken/nut roasts because I'm a picky eater).
    I'll try to drink more juice throughout the day as well and see if that could get me to 1200.

Do you like olive oil? Garlic? Take your veggies and toss them with olive oil and garlic.

By the way, if you can drink juice during the day, you can drink water too.
  • tawnyd24
    tawnyd24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wish I was full all day from a bowl of cereal. I am constantly picking at something...urghhh! I need to be more disciplined.
  • InvadingObsession
    Options
    By the way, if you can drink juice during the day, you can drink water too.

I drink around two glasses of cordial (that's what I meant by juice) a day if I'm thirsty because I don't like the taste of water. (I know people will say 'water doesn't taste of anything' but it does, it tastes like water.) But not every day.
    I now feel like I need to sit back and actually look at what I'm doing wrong; I'm wondering if I'm ignoring what my body's saying, because I've just come over all thirsty (Still not hungry though).
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Take a small bag of nuts with you when you leave for classes. Also an apple or some carrots (or both). A container of yogurt (it will get warm, but a few hours at room temperature won't make it go bad. A hard-cooked egg. Eat them sometime midday.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    This "problem" has been addressed in many, many threads that you can easily search for. Short answer, eat more.
    At some point you knew how to get to 1200 calories and even higher, right?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, I wish I had a problem meeting that little calories. You're not eating enough.

Agree with the PB and spoon. A little bit of protein and healthy fats, and it's about 200 cals for 2 tablespoons.
  • spacemuffins
    Options
    it might sound backwards but actually when you don't eat enough you start to feel nauseous which kind of dulls your appetite. So you end up not eating enough but feeling like you don't need to eat more because you feel queasy. Also eating more might help your mood problems as would cutting down on caffeine maybe. Caffeine is an appetite suppressant.
    As for eating more.... maybe try for less foods that are more calorie dense? Sometimes eating loads of things just to increase calories feels like too much effort. For example having flapjack bars for a snack on the go for lunch, or having porridge with milk for breakfast rather than cornflakes. This is what most people who need to increase their calories for whatever reason (such as E.D. recovery) do. Olive oil is good for you and adds calories, a tbsp (that is, a measuring tbsp so a couple of spoonsful) of olive oil added to your meat and veg would add 120 calories. Or try getting more liquid calories, adding a glass of of fruit juice or smoothie with breakfast and dinner (you can get pretty cheap supermarket own brand 100% fruit juices).
    But I do think having a big cup of coffee might be the culprit to why you don't feel hungry for a long time after breakfast :)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Wow, you ppl are like ants.

Im on 1800 and I wish I had more calories!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    1200 for dinner that sounds about right.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, fatty fish like salmon, avocado/guacamole, full fat cheese/yoghurt, all nutritious additions to bump up your cals.

One thing to note is that when you're not eating enough you tend to be less active in your daily activities (moving less, moving slower, very low energy) and hence burning less. This reduces your calorie deficit. That is why going too low isn't good. Try upping your calories a bit. You don't have to even be at 1200 to lose. It is just not the most sound and efficient way! Don't sell yourself short by going to such a low caloric goal.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Eat a bigger breakfast. You can easily get in 1200 calories. It isn't hard. I don't believe that a bowl of cereal holds you all day. What the hell kind of cereal is it?

2 hard boiled eggs = 140 calories
    1 whole grain english muffin = 120 calories
    2 tbsp peanut butter = 200 calories
    1 banana = 105 calories
    1 cup strawberry halves = 55 calories

TOTAL = 620 calories

Filling, and gets you half of your target in one meal.

Of course, you could eat 500 for breakfast, 500 for dinner and one 200 calorie snack. A banana with 1 tbsp of peanut butter is about 200 calories. Delicious, easy and quick.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A hot chocolate or can of soup or one of those Galaxy milkshakes will take up the 200 cals easily. Or even milky coffee/tea and biscuits.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I see these ridiculous posts and it infuriates me! 1200 cals is not enough for any human to live long term on! Everyone has an off day and might not each much- but to say you cant eat 1200 cals on a long term basis- please.

Do some research- learn how to take care of your body whether you can cook or heat up the oven!