How often do you need to buy new running shoes?

2»

Replies

• atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Ooops. I'm glad I found this forum. How would you track miles you walk/run?

Since I rotate shoes and have a pretty much fixed schedule of types of runs, I simply use pair A on Mon and Thurs (9 - 10 miles per week), Pair B on Sun and Wed (10 miles per week) and pair C on long runs (Sat)(12 - 20 miles per week). I right my mileage on the calendar and it's easy to add up the miles and see how much mileage is on each shoe.

With my last bunch of shoes, I was noticing that my knees were bothering me almost all the time, even when I wasn't running. So I added up the totals but only one pair was past 250 miles. So I continued to wear the other two pairs. But my knees were still bothering me so I pitched all of the shoes and bought three new pair. I wish that I could get more mileage on my shoes (It certainly would be cheaper!) but I'd rather spend more on running shoes than not run at all because I didn't listen to my body and ended up injured.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member

Get fitted at a running specialty store. Find the right shoe for you. Most running stores don't carry Nike, so you'll probably be looking at Brooks, Mizuno, Sauchony, etc. They will probably hold up longer than Nike shoes will.

Actually the 2 running stores in my area (Fleet Feet and Run Away) both had Nikes. Fleet Feet even recommended Nikes for my gait! I hated them though and returned them. I'm a Saucony girl. I usually pay around $110 and I'm not a long distance runner so I replace them once per year.

I've also heard that Nikes do tend to break down very easily. I work in an office FULL of runners and none of them or anyone they know wears Nikes to run.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    I am not a runner, and therefore don't put as much mileage on mine. That said, I just got my first pair of Asics Gels at my local running store; I tried on the Brooks but liked the cushier feel of the Asics (I have heel spurs). They were about $109, but I got a discount by mentioning my trainer. Now that I know what I like, I'll probably check out Zappos for a back-up pair.

I plan to replace them in 6 months, unless they start hurting me before then. I wear them to work out 3/4 days a week, and don't wear them otherwise.

I'm also going to recycle my old ones; they are still great looking and have life left in them but don't suit me now that I have been diagnosed with the heel spurs. There is a company that refurbishes/recycles them through the running store. I believe they donate them to needy people in Africa.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Well according to the recent study that was shown on BBC about exercise myths - if anyone remembers it involved the HIT training and was excellent. Whether you spend £10 or £100 doesnt make an once of difference as running onto the heels not on the balls is bad no matter what you buy. The study proved that all the hype by Nike etc isnt medially proven - its all jargon.

As for the gait - apparently gait is normal and no shoe can put that right.

I think you are better buying a sensibly priced trainer and replacing more frequently.

I disagree with this. I have changed my stride. I used to heel strike, and now I have a midfoot strike. My shoes also correct my tendency to roll to the outside of my foot. Normally, I wear out the tread on the outside of a pair of shoes first. On my last pair (that I just replaced), the tread was only worn off on the midfoot. You could draw a cross hair on it.

So, the right shoes do make a difference.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    I just retired my first pair with 600km on them. I knew it was time for a change when I started feeling new aches and pains in my hips and calves.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    I have three different pairs, depending on what type of run I am planning. My minimalist shoes for 5k and treadmill running (Saucony Kinvara) will probably only last about 250 miles total; my other Sauconys (Cortana) are my regular training run shoes and marathon shoes, and I expect them to give me between 350-400 (about 4 months). I have some Asics Gel Noosa (Tri 7) for 10k-15k races, so I don't use them very often......will probably have them for quite a long time.

I buy all my shoes for 50% off or less by watching the sales on www.nationalrunningcenter.com, and by shopping at runners' expo events prior to big races. So I've never paid more than $75 for a pair of running shoes, and as little as $45.
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    I think mine lasted 3 months. Bought them for 100$ Nike. How much do you pay for your shoes and how long do they last?

As others have stated, the duration of a shoe totally depends on how you wear them. Still, 3 months doesn't seem like a long time.

Depending on where you live, seek out a running store. Take in your worn shoes and get fitted for a proper pair (which isn't to say the ones you have weren't perfect for you...). A good running-shoe salesperson will be able to analyze the wear and tear on your shoes and listen to your experiences with how the shoe feels when you run. With this information, he or she may be able to recommend a specific brand/model that will work best for you.

With the prevalence of online shopping, you might be able to get the exact pair you want at a discounted price. I buy multiple pairs of the same model from a nearby Adidas outlet. Last Sunday I stole some for $90 for two pair.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Well according to the recent study that was shown on BBC about exercise myths - if anyone remembers it involved the HIT training and was excellent. Whether you spend £10 or £100 doesnt make an once of difference as running onto the heels not on the balls is bad no matter what you buy. The study proved that all the hype by Nike etc isnt medially proven - its all jargon.

I think you are better buying a sensibly priced trainer and replacing more frequently.

I disagree with this. I have changed my stride. I used to heel strike, and now I have a midfoot strike. My shoes also correct my tendency to roll to the outside of my foot. Normally, I wear out the tread on the outside of a pair of shoes first. On my last pair (that I just replaced), the tread was only worn off on the midfoot. You could draw a cross hair on it.

I disagree as well. Ive been running for years and once I found GOOD QUALITY running shoes, i never had injuries ever again and i've always ran with great form. a good shoe is a definite must!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    I'm currently in a pair of Newton Gravity with 112 miles on them, and the soles hardly look like they've been touched. My last pair of shoes were New Balance minimus road zeros, and I needed to replace them at just under 350 miles. Considering that they're barefoot shoes I'm pretty happy with that. :smile:

If you want to track your mileage and shoe wear & tear, I definitely recommend using http://www.runningahead.com/. It's great for laying out your training plan and keeping tabs on your workouts. You can include your shoes under the "equipment" tab, and track exactly how much mileage you're getting from each pair. It even factors your $/mile. Awesome stuff!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    I have three different pairs, depending on what type of run I am planning. My minimalist shoes for 5k and treadmill running (Saucony Kinvara) will probably only last about 250 miles total; my other Sauconys (Cortana) are my regular training run shoes and marathon shoes, and I expect them to give me between 350-400 (about 4 months). I have some Asics Gel Noosa (Tri 7) for 10k-15k races, so I don't use them very often......will probably have them for quite a long time.

I buy all my shoes for 50% off or less by watching the sales on www.nationalrunningcenter.com, and by shopping at runners' expo events prior to big races. So I've never paid more than $75 for a pair of running shoes, and as little as $45.

Great ideas re discounted running shoes!! Thanks!!
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    I got about 7 months (Labor Day to mid-Feburary) out of my last pair but I run on the treadmill alot in the winter so that is easier on the shoes. I'm back to running outside now so I'll probably blow these out by July.

I tend to stick with New Balance as I have wide feet and they seem to fit me better. I got fitted for mine at a New Balance store and I think they were about $140.00. I just use them for running as I have a pair of cross trainers for classes and a cheaper pair of trail runners for every day use.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    great post! how do you know when to replace them?

i usually go by miles..around 350 I will look to replace them. They might look fine cosmetically, but it's often hard to tell if cushioning properties etc have been compromised.

I track all my miles per shoe with nike+
  • mortyfit

Great ideas re discounted running shoes!! Thanks!!
    If you use the National Running Center website, their annual PR Club membership is DEFINITELY worth it. Gives you an extra 10% off everything, 20% of some apparell or shoe items, and free shipping all year on any order, for $30/year. I buy a lot of my stuff from them!
  • mortyfit

I disagree as well. Ive been running for years and once I found GOOD QUALITY running shoes, i never had injuries ever again and i've always ran with great form. a good shoe is a definite must!
    Piling onto this one--having my gait and form analyzed and then fitted for the right shoe prevented re-occuring hip and IT Band injuries caused by my overpronating. I ran in those shoes until I trained my body to proper running form and moved down to more minimalist shoes last year. The right shoe makes ALL the difference in learning how to correct running form.