In Place of a Road Map: Short N' Sweet

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hello--- First post here and gingerly poking my head in to ask a question. I'm already muscular in a 'blocky'way--if that makes sense. I did the calculations and I'm about 25% bf, though the measurement may be skewed because I have a tiny waist and flat abs because I had a breast reconstructive procedure ten years ago for breast cancer called a TRAM flap--they basically take fat and muscle from the abs and make a breast out of it--mastectomy and tummy tuck (kind of) in one. I look like a shortish linbacker with a small waist (ooh. Attractive, I know!). 5'4", 162 (down from 174), 53 yrs old, female.

My question--I can never lose the fat and enough muscle to look.. smaller, can I? According to the calcs, if I wanted to go to 22% fb (which is says is maybe too low wrt my age), my goal wt would be 157 or so, and I'd like to go lower-- but is that a stupid dream? Is the best I can do to be a slightly leaner, very solid, muscle-y linebacker with a small waist?

So indeed, you may want BF% measurement method using a bunch of them to get an avg. So either the spreadsheet on my profile page, stay on the Simple Setup and Progress tabs only, or these which is what the spreadsheet uses.
    www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

Then the skewed waist measurement won't come in to play as strongly.

Sure you can lose more fat. May not be where you primarily want it though. And unless doing athlete style training, it'll be a fight.
    Your shape is genetic though, so no ability to comment on what you'd end up as losing the fat you'd like to, whatever weight that puts you at.
  • jaylynny4444
    jaylynny4444 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, using your link bf=25.7%, using an average of the methods on the first page of this thread, 25.3%.

I'm doing standing intense Pilates (CoreAlign--core work, with resistance and some cardio) and circuit training with kettlebells, TRX, core and cardio 2-3 hr/wk plus some lesser stuff at home.

Thanks!
  • cboelens
    cboelens Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump Thanks!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • biosciencegal
    biosciencegal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    save to read later
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    bump
  • roma_naman
    roma_naman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jdb281
    jdb281 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :heart: :love: :heart:
  • Kayleigh0105
    Options
    Hi! I just read through the majority of the IOARM threads I could find and plan on trying it. I found Dan's explanations very clear and helpful but I have one question:

The number of calories recommend on Fat2Fit BMR Calc (based on activity level) - 20% = number of calories to eat to lose weight. I get that. Do I still eat the same number on non workout days?

I'm in the "Lightly Active" category (I think? I walk on the treadmill about 4 days/wk for approx. 30 min but I don't have an active job or anything like that) and I just want to make sure I'm supposed to eat the same amount on days I don't exercise.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks, Dan.
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi! I just read through the majority of the IOARM threads I could find and plan on trying it. I found Dan's explanations very clear and helpful but I have one question:

The number of calories recommend on Fat2Fit BMR Calc (based on activity level) - 20% = number of calories to eat to lose weight. I get that. Do I still eat the same number on non workout days?

I'm in the "Lightly Active" category (I think? I walk on the treadmill about 4 days/wk for approx. 30 min but I don't have an active job or anything like that) and I just want to make sure I'm supposed to eat the same amount on days I don't exercise.

To lose weight you eat less than you burn daily, on average allows a daily set goal.

So you came up with an estimate of what you burn daily, actually weekly averaged back out daily.
    Then you took 20% deficit.

You eat that daily.

Also, walking doesn't count as much as other cardio because it's lower calorie burn, unless doing steep incline.

Might do this for your walking and time actually done.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018768-better-rough-estimate-of-tdee-than-5-level-chart
  • Kayleigh0105
    Options

To lose weight you eat less than you burn daily, on average allows a daily set goal.

So you came up with an estimate of what you burn daily, actually weekly averaged back out daily.

You eat that daily.

Also, walking doesn't count as much as other cardio because it's lower calorie burn, unless doing steep incline.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018768-better-rough-estimate-of-tdee-than-5-level-chart

Thank you! I just assumed I was in the lightly active category because I remember reading in the Road Map threads that most people aren't considered sedentary unless they basically do nothing. I could have misunderstood though. As for the walking... I alternate a 7 incline with no incline at ~3.5 mph... Anywhere from 20-40 minutes 4-5 days/wk. Do you think I'd be better off going with the sedentary category? :)
  • heybales
    Options

You eat that daily.

Thank you! I just assumed I was in the lightly active category because I remember reading in the Road Map threads that most people aren't considered sedentary unless they basically do nothing. I could have misunderstood though. As for the walking... I alternate a 7 incline with no incline at ~3.5 mph... Anywhere from 20-40 minutes 4-5 days/wk. Do you think I'd be better off going with the sedentary category? :)

Of course not, you are walking most days and at intense level with incline.

45 hr desk job & commute with no kids or dog walking or much of anything outside of that is sedentary.
    341110 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump