Hello. New and looking for friends and advice

Hi :)

Condensed version: I'm trying to come up with a fitness plan that works around my physical and time limitations and a diet plan that address my cholesterol issues. Friends to support and encourage would be amazing. Doing it alone is hard.

I technically created an account a year ago, but I had issues using the app, and abandoned it.

I'm 155lbs and look best about 145-150. At 140 I start getting questions about whether I'm sick. That may seem high, but I'm 5'9. I've had a couple of doctors tell me I absolutely can't go under 135, and they would rather I stay a little above 140. At 145 I'm about a size 6, and 140 puts me at about a 4. I'm pretty sure my profile name speaks for itself, but I'm female. I'm in my mid twenties. I'm not overly concerned about what the scale says. I'd rather focus on physical accomplishments.

I'm trying to figure out the whole food thing. There's so much conflicting information. Some people say dairy is bad, some people say it isn't. I drink a ton of skim milk and have greek yogurt on a regular basis. I have osteopenia, and according to doctors I need a minimum of 1000mg of calcium a day, but preferably 1200-1500. I'm 24, so theoretically I could still be building bone, and my last scan showed some improvement. I could take a calcium supplement, and I do if I don't meet my goal, but I was told that it's better to get the calcium from food than from a supplement. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat. I have chicken or fish one to two times a week, and a burger about once a month. I eat a lot of peanut butter, and walnuts a couple of times a week. I love avocados, and eat a decent amount of fruits and vegetables. I know peanut butter, nuts, and avocados are all high calorie and fat, but if I don't eat them I don't get enough calories. I really struggle to get enough iron. I just started my food diary yesterday, and it's finals week, so it's not normal, but once I have some more information it would be nice to have someone look at it.

And health issues to complicate everything... early bone loss, my right leg has permanent ligament damage from a car wreck, I struggle with excess hypermobility, and have a genetic tendency to high cholesterol. My total stays at 200-205, but my HDL is decent at 62-64. Any suggestions for the cholesterol issues would be welcome :) My doctors have been encouraging me to get the total down for years.

I'm working on creating a fitness program, but time is limited. My physical therapy takes 1.5-2 hours a day, and I do that 6 days a week. Without the constant pt I quickly lose my ability to walk, so that takes precedence over any other fitness. I'm hoping to come up with a plan for upper body and core that I could do 2 to 3 times a week and doesn't take more than 30 minutes. I swim about half a mile twice a week (helps with my leg), and I could definitely bump that up. I don't do much cardio. I use an arc trainer about 20 minutes 3 times a week as part of my pt, but that's it. I also walk half a mile to a mile 3 times a week as part of my pt, but that's focused on keeping my gait correct, and I definitely don't get my heart rate up. So any advice on what would be best for upper body strength and cardio would be wonderful :) Anything with more than low impact is out. I can use an arc trainer or elliptical, but not for more than 20 minutes at a time. I can't use a treadmill.

Friends to support and encourage would be amazing, whether you have advice or not. It's hard to do this alone. IRL friends either aren't interested in fitness, or are interested and think I'm crazy for spending so much time on pt and so little time on anything else.

Replies

• WifeofPastor
    WifeofPastor Posts: 26 Member
    I will send you another message tomorrow... I need to get to bed. But have similar issues regarding cholesterol, the need for upper body strength, and balance issues, plus need for cardio.

Will talk again tomorrow, privately.