Intermittent Fasting Question.

Options
So today is day 1 of intermittent fasting. I gotta get use to it cause by now I would have already had breakfast I'm starving :P but I decided since I'm doing this I should work out fasted since that is what the general community believes you should do. I'm completely okay with that, but my question is can I still drink my 100 calorie whey protein shake before I workout and after? I workout about 10:15am til 11:15am Going to have my first meal each day around 12Pm and feed until 8pm. Do you think the protein shake would effect this lifestyle change?

Replies

• AnDiallo
    AnDiallo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no constructive answer here, but gonna bump cos I'm interested!
  • IFlover90
    IFlover90 Posts: 62
    Options
    No more than 50 calories while fasting.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Yes you can drink your whey protein under this IF protocal. In fact, you are suppose to eat some protein before your workout when doing leangains which is what you are doing. Eight hour eating window is leangains protocal.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I believe Martin talks about BCAAs first thing.
    The true beauty of IF isnt about the fast.
    Its about the nutrient timing.

Read Andy Morgans site http://rippedbody.jp and learn it.
    Or
    Google Silverhydra cheat Mode.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    So today is day 1 of intermittent fasting. I gotta get use to it cause by now I would have already had breakfast I'm starving :P but I decided since I'm doing this I should work out fasted since that is what the general community believes you should do. I'm completely okay with that, but my question is can I still drink my 100 calorie whey protein shake before I workout and after? I workout about 10:15am til 11:15am Going to have my first meal each day around 12Pm and feed until 8pm. Do you think the protein shake would effect this lifestyle change?

If your work pattern is fixed why dont you change your eating window?

Mine is 7AM-3PM followed by a 16 hour fast (3pm-7am) working for me so far
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Yes you can drink your whey protein under this IF protocal. In fact, you are suppose to eat some protein before your workout when doing leangains which is what you are doing. Eight hour eating window is leangains protocal.

Leangains calls for taking BCAAs before a fasted workout, not drinking a protein shake. Martin specifically says no more than 50 calories while fasting.
  • davidboyd0041
    Options

I would love to change my eating window, but do to personal reasons and life in general 12pm-8pm is the only way I can do it without breaking the fast. :(
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, there is no "right time/way" to workout. Do whatever is going to give you the best workout. If that's fasted first thing in the morning, then that's what you should do. If it's fed later in the day, then do that. Success is far more about intensity/effort than it is the actual plan you follow.

To you're question, no, you shouldn't have your shakes before and after. That's ~200 cals, which defeats the point of fasting part of IFing.
  • SGSmallman
    Options

I would love to change my eating window, but do to personal reasons and life in general 12pm-8pm is the only way I can do it without breaking the fast. :(

What protein are you taking.

I also follow lean gains and do my workouts fasted either near the start or just before the fast ends.

I'm using Lean Gains Protein as it comes mixed with BCAAs (not as good as tablet form, but i never took the supplement in the first place)

Looks like you need to up your protein having a flick back through your diary on several days
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Why fast at all?
    IMO you can lose just as much fat while eating as many meals as you want a day.
    IF has its bonuses but this is usually seen in leaner individuals, 15% and under.
    It's not a magic bullet.

IMO you should take up a good 3x5 or 5x5 program 3x a week.
    Eat about 2k cals a day.
    High protein, moderate carbs and fat.
    Walk 10k steps a day.
    Sleep 7-9 hours.
  • SGSmallman
    Options
    Why fast at all?
    IMO you can lose just as much fat while eating as many meals as you want a day.
    IF has its bonuses but this is usually seen in leaner individuals, 15% and under.
    It's not a magic bullet.

IMO you should take up a good 3x5 or 5x5 program 3x a week.
    Eat about 2k cals a day.
    High protein, moderate carbs and fat.
    Walk 10k steps a day.
    Sleep 7-9 hours.

Yeah i'd agree with that and a 40/40/20 split Carbs/Proteins/Fats is a good target

for me IF and my eating window is just because i like eating everything at once and not multiple times throughout the day sat at a desk for 8 hours i can make sure i have access to the calories and food i need to hit my targets.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Leangains calls for taking BCAAs before a fasted workout, not drinking a protein shake. Martin specifically says no more than 50 calories while fasting.

Hmm thought he had a steak before his workout but maybe im confusing it with something else.
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    i would drink it after because if you drink it before then your breaking your fast early.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I believe Martin talks about BCAAs first thing.

He says to consume 10g of BCAA's 30 min before your workout, if you choose to work out in the fasted state. He cites some interesting research about fasted state training have a much sharper effect on the hormonal and metabolic response as opposed to fed state training (weight training of course).

Otherwise, no more than 50 calories during the fast. So go ahead and put a dash of light half n half or full strength half and half in your coffee! =)

I'd have to agree with Dan, it is not the most efficient strategy for losing bodyfat in an individual who is above 15% bodyfat. I'm still above 20% BF, but I like IF because of the timing, I want the full feeling, and I can only get that by eating all my calories in a short window, and coasting into the next days break-fast.
  • davidboyd0041
    Options
    I use smart sense whey and soy protein
  • SaveFileCorrupt
    SaveFileCorrupt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I followed leangains with great results for 6 months and used BCAAs peri-workout. Fasted training may be a bit difficult at first, but it isn't so bad as long as you've eaten enough carbs within the window to replenish glycogen for the next session. I'm no longer doing IF, but I enjoy fasted training; I feel as though you can get a better workout when your muscles aren't fighting for blood flow against your gut while digesting food.

It gets a lot easier after the first couple days. Just stay well hydrated, and the hunger should diminish.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I am kinda confused. If your workout ends around 11:15am and you plan on starting your meals at 12pm what would be wrong with drinking a 100 calorie protein shake at 11:30?

Is consuming 100 calories outside of a 30 minute window really going to make or break you achieving some of the goals youve set for yourself?

:huh:
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am kinda confused. If your workout ends around 11:15am and you plan on starting your meals at 12pm what would be wrong with drinking a 100 calorie protein shake at 11:30?

Is consuming 100 calories outside of a 30 minute window really going to make or break you achieving some of the goals youve set for yourself?

BCAA's are not the same as whey or soy or casein protein. Whey's are much less dense and less targeted, Leangains calls for 30g of whey pre-workout if you can't get your hands on Branched Chain Amino Acids.

The whole Idea is maximizing the sharpness of your hormones and metabolism when you work out in a fasted state. Consuming enough protein will activate digestion, setting in motion a change in the hormone profile, insulin, cortisol, leptin, and many many others.

The reason why you want protein pre workout is that research shows disadvantages to working out completely fasted, we see a quicker breakdown of proteins, which is why he thinks that BCAA's will stop that. He's not sure though, we'll have to test it.

This is all in theory by the way, there have been no exhaustive studies. http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/fasted-training-boosts-muscle-growth.html
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

BCAA's are not the same as whey or soy or casein protein. Whey's are much less dense and less targeted, Leangains calls for 30g of whey pre-workout if you can't get your hands on Branched Chain Amino Acids.

The whole Idea is maximizing the sharpness of your hormones and metabolism when you work out in a fasted state. Consuming enough protein will activate digestion, setting in motion a change in the hormone profile, insulin, cortisol, leptin, and many many others.

The reason why you want protein pre workout is that research shows disadvantages to working out completely fasted, we see a quicker breakdown of proteins, which is why he thinks that BCAA's will stop that. He's not sure though, we'll have to test it.

This is all in theory by the way, there have been no exhaustive studies. http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/fasted-training-boosts-muscle-growth.html

Nice! I had been to the leangains site before, but its been awhile. I didnt see anywhere in there where (at least not that article) it says not to consume more than 50 cals? While I dont follow a super strict regimen I do follow the guidelines hes suggested. (* Majority of daily allotment of cals for post workout meal. *Dont like having a preworkout meal cause my intensity will just make me wanna puke anyway. *Havent tried BCCAs pre workout. )

Can anyone recommend something (product or products) or a place to look for BCAAs? Thanks for this info!
  • SGSmallman
    Options
    Can anyone recommend something (product or products) or a place to look for BCAAs? Thanks for this info!

Lean Gains MRF Protein is full of BCAAs it's high in calories 400ish but the protein level and other added benefits like BCAAs and vitamins make it a staple of my daily routine.