exercise body split

My current split is

Shoulders (about 40 mins), Bis & tris & forearms (about 40 mins) on Sunday (1hr 20 mins total)

Back & abs (1 hr total) and 4 sets of leg presses (extra leg work as I am trying to stregthen my legs) on Monday (1 hr 10 mins total)

Chest (about 40 mins) & Bi's (about 12 mins- extra bi work, I am trying to stregthen my bi's too) on Weds

Legs & abs (1 hr total) on Friday

additionally I run 45 mins each morning Mon through Fri

My question- I used to go to gym 5 days a week, but found I didn't have the time for that so much so I combined 2 of my "days"---I used to do shoudlers one day and arms on another day, but decided to combine them to save time

am I doing too much on Sunday? (shoulders & arms for 1 hr 20 mins)

at first it was hard, but now I notice some more energy and good sessions in the gym, but just want to make sure I am not over doing it

thoughts?

thanks

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    You're definitely not doing too much. If you're training specifically for aesthetic reasons, then this split makes some sense. What are your goals?
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    40 minutes on shoulders? Wow!

So, as I understand it ... this is your current program:
    SUNDAY: Shoulders, Biceps & Triceps (40 + 40 minutes)
    MONDAY: Legs, Back, Abs (60-70 minutes)
    WEDNESDAY: Chest, Biceps (40 + 15 minutes)
    FRIDAY: Legs, Abs (60 minutes)

Well, if it's working for you, then stick with it.

Here's another option for your consideration, that coincides more with typical split programs. Day 1 - Upper Pull; Day 2 - Lower; Day 3 - Upper Push; Day 4 - Extra. I tried to keep your days/times the same.
    Feel free to disregard, just an idea that came to me. And if you have any questions/comments, feel free to message me.

SUNDAY: Back (30 minutes), Biceps (25 minutes), Shoulders (25 minutes)
    MONDAY: Heavy Legs (60 minutes), Abs (10-15 minutes)
    WEDNESDAY: Chest (30 minutes), Triceps (25 minutes)
    FRIDAY: 2nd Legs (30 minutes), 2nd Biceps* (15 minutes), Abs (10-15 minutes)
    * maybe you can focus on body-weight or dumbbell isolation work for your second biceps day (concentration curls, hammer curls, chin-ups, etc.) That way they are fresh again on Sunday for a heavier workout. Currently, your second biceps day is two days after your heavy biceps day...and you might need an extra day of recovery.

Regardless, keep up the great work!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    It all depends on how you feel. I do notice you are doing a lot of work for your bis which may or may not be an issue. You are training them directly on Sunday, indirectly Monday (back hits bis) then again on Wed. I don't think your bis need that much work. Now is 40 min too long to spend on shoulders? Probably not. I personally don't train them for 40 min.
    Another option is to do an upper/lower split. Look at Lyle McDonalds generic bulk. A lot of people get great results hitting each body part 2x per week.
  • rob_base
    rob_base Posts: 97
    You're definitely not doing too much. If you're training specifically for aesthetic reasons, then this split makes some sense. What are your goals?

aesthetics are my goals right now

to Chris and grant....I do notice my back routine is not as energized as it could be and I attribute that to doing bis the day prior (I realize back works bi's too......so I been thinking to maybe have Monday be a rest day and do back on Tues

I will look at the other programs you all mentioned, thanks, but I am kinda addicted to these body part splits