Question. Eating back exercise calories?

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
Hello folks,
I thought I understood and had it under wraps, with TDEE, macros and such. BUT this thought came to me when I was at the gym; I am trying to lose weight, do I eat back my exercise calories? or do I not? to remain at a defecit. Because that's the idea. Eat at a defecit while moving your body, will result in weight loss, so then it would make more sense to not eat back the exercise calories and clock below TDEE for a few weeks/months?

I would google to find an answer, but this is a one stop shop.

thanks. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you are using the system this site's logging system was designed around, then yes, you do. However, this system, which does not take exercise into account in determining your daily nutrition goals, is ideally only suited for people who primarily only engage in low to moderate intensity exercise. If your workouts are higher in intensity or you incorporate regular strength training in, then it is better instead to use a TDEE-based calorie goal which takes your exercise into account in determining your base calorie goal. A system such as that would not have you eating them back.
  • skeo
    Options
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I calculated my TDEE else where, and did not use the MFP stats. MFP had me at 1200 cals, but the TDEE had me at 1650, so I've been using that number. SO in this case, I would consume the 1650 considering exercise, and NOT eat back my exercise cals.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I calculated my TDEE else where, and did not use the MFP stats. MFP had me at 1200 cals, but the TDEE had me at 1650, so I've been using that number. SO in this case, I would consume the 1650 considering exercise, and NOT eat back my exercise cals.

Exactly.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You're going to get answers both ways, eat them back and don't eat them back. Here's my thoughts on it, simple math. If you want to loose weight, take less calories in than what you need to maintain your weight, and if you're exercising to assist in that weight loss, why would you eat those calories back?

Disclaimer "I'm not a Doctor or Nutritionist, nor have I played one on TV, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few times in my life, and I've recently lost a lot of weight!"
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    It is easiest to determine how many calories you need to eat by eating the same amount every day and making adjustments based on your results. I started at 3200 cals a day and was initially losing weight quickly (2-3lbs a week); however, after a while that slowed down and I had to drop my cals down to 3100, then 3000 and so on. I recommend dropping them in 100kcal increments and then giving it at least 2 weeks to see what happens. If I were to eat back all of my exercise calories I wouldn't have lost a pound.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The goal you have set for yourself (however you have calculated it), should be the amount that you take in on a rest day. If you exercise away 500 of those calories, you should increase your intake for that day by 500 calories. Maintaining the same deficit on a daily basis is the way this is supposed to work. If you calculated your TDEE to INCLUDE your exercise (which can be a bit dicey) then that's different. Personally, I set my intake goal to cover my non-workout daily activity level, and then alter on a day to day basis based on how much exercise I put in on any given day. I can't always know how much work (or what kind) I am going to put in at the gym until I'm there and see how I feel or how things are going. That aspect is going to be different for everyone.
  • skeo
    Options
    Lol, yes logically, it does make sense. I just needed to get confirmation for a few outside sources. Thank you for your input both of you. :bigsmile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Correct.
  • skeo
    Options
    and that is where my downfall was. I was eating my suggested cals, and then exercising and then eating them back, (newb syndrome) so I was maintaining, which isn't what I was trying to do, I needed to lose. So then I was eating TOO little and exercising and not eating those back and was feeling famished and weak, so I'm still "tweaking" to find a good medium. Just wanted to make sure I had all of my ducks aligned.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You're going to get answers both ways, eat them back and don't eat them back. Here's my thoughts on it, simple math. If you want to loose weight, take less calories in than what you need to maintain your weight, and if you're exercising to assist in that weight loss, why would you eat those calories back?

Disclaimer "I'm not a Doctor or Nutritionist, nor have I played one on TV, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few times in my life, and I've recently lost a lot of weight!"

Love the disclaimer.
  • skeo
    Options
    The goal you have set for yourself (however you have calculated it), should be the amount that you take in on a rest day. If you exercise away 500 of those calories, you should increase your intake for that day by 500 calories. Maintaining the same deficit on a daily basis is the way this is supposed to work. If you calculated your TDEE to INCLUDE your exercise (which can be a bit dicey) then that's different. Personally, I set my intake goal to cover my non-workout daily activity level, and then alter on a day to day basis based on how much exercise I put in on any given day. I can't always know how much work (or what kind) I am going to put in at the gym until I'm there and see how I feel or how things are going. That aspect is going to be different for everyone.

this sounds like a good idea as well. I will make the calculated adjustments and see where that puts me. thank you.