is too much protein bad?

Options
hey all...

according to my food diary, it says i'm eating too much protein. do you all find that the estimated calculations are correct? I'm eating very lean protein and thought it was good for me, especially as i develop more muscle. do you all have similar issues? is it bad for me? is it going to affect my body mass index (lean body bass) and weight loss?

Replies

• no2steph
    no2steph Posts: 8
    Options
    hey all...

according to my food diary, it says i'm eating too much protein. do you all find that the estimated calculations are correct? I'm eating very lean protein and thought it was good for me, especially as i develop more muscle. do you all have similar issues? is it bad for me? is it going to affect my body mass index (lean body bass) and weight loss?
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm having a problem with my metabolism, so my nutritionist has put me on a lean protein diet for two weeks. The only carbs I can have are the ones found green vegetables. No dairy, no bread, no pasta, no alcohol. I don't know for sure but I think too much over a long period of time could have some adverse effect. Your not getting all of your nutritional needs met.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Almost every day I go over my protein. I have no idea if it's good or bad. Just letting you know I'm in the same boat.
  • Margy82
    Margy82 Posts: 63
    Options
    I have one protein shake in the morning and I am already over my protein, the same with my fiber but everyone says you can never have enough fiber, (or like calcium for women). I always figured protein was the same, that those numbers were a minimum requirement, at least for the fibre and protein, everything I consider it as a maximum, but I don't know for sure.

Would love to hear from someone that knows for sure, thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I asked this question when I first started too:
    general consensus was that MFP's protein settings are on the low side and that going over is not a big deal as long as it is not excessive and the protein is coming from a good source (such as lean meats and dairy products)
    The thing is, unused protein IS stored as fat. That said if you are building muscles through strength training then you are using up lots of protein... Try to stay close to you MFP goal. When I go over it is usually by like 1-5 grams. Just be careful :drinker:
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    I am always over on my protein too... I work out hard and protein builds muscle... I think that as long as you are eating lots of veggies and fruits and low GI carbs and staying within your calories range a little extra protein should be ok... this however is my opinion only based on my own experience and research... you may want to try getting in touch with a nutritionist for a consultation... also keep in mind that although this website is great and does help it is based on estimates and not on individuals... most of the info is within range but may not be exactly right for you... this is where a nutritionist will help you...

Jenn
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    if your otherwise healthy, and you have normal liver function (your regular gp blood tests would tell you if you didn't) then going over in protein is ok, within reason. The liver can handle quite a bit of extra, but I wouldn't go over by say more then 10% or so a day on average. If you're working out a lot with resistance or weights, then extra protein is actually good for you (as long as you get your other vitamins and calcium...etc to activate that protein). In other words, if you see your doctor, he does the blood tests, and doesnt' tell you you have a problem, then you should be fine.
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd say if your going to go over in anything protein is one of the better options. Extra protein is converted to fat but it's harder to convert protein to fat than say sugar.
  • no2steph
    no2steph Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks everybody. your advice is extremely helpful. i noticed that a few of you are in the same boat. i'll keep it all in mind!!!
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    hi read your post and the same happens to me regualrly but i'm studying home ec in school and so thought i'd share me little bit of knowledge wth ya. excess prtein not required (i.e. the extra you eat) is not required for growth and repair and is deaminated in the liver this is where the NH2 group is removed,converted to ammonia and excreted by the kidneys and the COOH group is oxidised to produce heat and energy. it might be a bit technical but i hope it helps, and excess protein shouldn't be any harm as the body gets rid of it! keep up the good work:): :bigsmile:
  • DesertWind
    Options
    At a minimum you should ingest 7 grams of Protein per 20 pounds of body weight. This is very easy to do. Your best Protein is from Whey, then from animal products and then vegetables and fruits. You truly need a combination of the meat and vegetable Proteins to be healthy. And yes, contrary to popular belief, too much protein, like too much of anything, after it's broken down into Amino Acids, will convert to fat. :sad:

If you feel like you need to cut back, eat smaller portions of Meat or the vegetables that contain high amounts of protein.
  • Bert
    Bert Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm over every time on the protein. What vegetables are high in protein? I didn't realize that vessies had any protein...except if lentils/beans are what you are thinking about.
  • Laura21905
    Options
    I am always over on protein too, and I never eat all my calories so I figure it's okay as long as I'm not way over it's usually by about 5 grams.