IS THIS OK???... NEGATIVE IN MY FINAL DAILY CALORIE COUNT

Options
HELP!!! ive been eating super healthy and i come under my 1200 calorie a day by 100 or so a day... yet at the end of the day im over in protein and sugars.. is this ok? will i still loose weight.. im new to this.. thank you!

PS. 5-5 168 32 yrs old female.. just started the calorie count (seriously) about 2 weeks ago

im new at this so i dont have too much on my profile yet but i hope you guys can help.

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    HELP!!! ive been eating super healthy and i come under my 1200 calorie a day by 100 or so a day... yet at the end of the day im over in protein and sugars.. is this ok? will i still loose weight.. im new to this.. thank you!

PS. 5-5 168 32 yrs old female.. just started the calorie count (seriously) about 2 weeks ago

im new at this so i dont have too much on my profile yet but i hope you guys can help.

i would be more concerned about the fact that you are coming in under 1200 calories. read this. read all of it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • _eli_80
    _eli_80 Posts: 40
    Options
    it took me straight to the message board again.. is there a specific one you want me to look at? and FYI protein is from healthy things and sugars are from fruits. i dont drink anything but green tea and a lot of water.. and no refined sugars at all..
  • Spencersmom2
    Spencersmom2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a lot of fruit then you will likely go over on sugars. If you're working out a lot and trying to replenish your protein you will also likely go over. I go over on mine and at this point have not had any noticeable negative impacts.
  • Spencersmom2
    Spencersmom2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "i would be more concerned about the fact that you are coming in under 1200 calories."

I was going to say this exactly (but ultimately didn't)!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This link will work:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Plese read it. It'll do nothing but help.

Dont worry about your protein and sugar right now. Worry about how many calories your eating and making sure it's correct. If you keep eating as low as you are right now you are going to plateau and your metabolism is going to slow down. Any weight you lose eating so little will come right back.

Can you really eat 1100 calories every day for the rest of your life? Is that really how you want to live? Be healthy, be smart and remember if you want to keep the weight off forever you have to do things right.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You should strive for a healthy, balanced diet...this would include adequate protein, carbs, and FAT. Everyone thinks fat is "unhealthy" so they go all no fat/low fat and underachieve by not meeting their calorie goals. Make sure you're getting your heart healthy fats...meet your macros, meet your calorie goals (net...which mean you eat back exercise calories or at least most of them) and you will be an achiever. Achievers are ultimately successful. Achieve all of your goals.
  • _eli_80
    Options
    This link will work:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Dont worry about your protein and sugar right now. Worry about how many calories your eating and making sure it's correct. If you keep eating as low as you are right now you are going to plateau and your metabolism is going to slow down. Any weight you lose eating so little will come right back.

Can you really eat 1100 calories every day for the rest of your life? Is that really how you want to live? Be healthy, be smart and remember if you want to keep the weight off forever you have to do things right.

THANK YOU!! I WILL DEFINITELY READ ON THIS.. SO IF I EAT EXACTLY 1200 I WILL STILL LOOSE WEIGHT? AND I SHOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT HE HEALTHY PROTEIN OR SUGARS?
  • _eli_80
    Options
    You should strive for a healthy, balanced diet...this would include adequate protein, carbs, and FAT. Everyone thinks fat is "unhealthy" so they go all no fat/low fat and underachieve by not meeting their calorie goals. Make sure you're getting your heart healthy fats...meet your macros, meet your calorie goals (net...which mean you eat back exercise calories or at least most of them) and you will be an achiever. Achievers are ultimately successful. Achieve all of your goals.

PLEASE EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE.. BUT WHAT ARE MY MACROS?
  • _eli_80
    Options

THANK YOU!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Macros are your macronutrients, like fat, protein, carbs, etc.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

The recommended protein intake on MFP is quite low. I have mine manually set and eat about double what MFP had suggested for me. Its fine if you are over in protein. I don't track my sugar but if you are over you may want to see where it is coming from. If you are eating foods with a lot of processed sugar you may want to re-evaluate food choices since many high sugar foods (not all) may have fewer nutrients. If you are eating a balanced diet, then I wouldn't worry about it.

At the same height and age, I am eating more than 1200 calories. You may want to re-evaluate that as well. You should not be aiming for 2 lbs a week weight loss, it is too high of a goal with the amount of weight you have to lose.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Macros are macronutrients - protein, fat and carbs.

(just a friendly note - online all caps is equivalent to yelling)
  • camperchick64
    camperchick64 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If your losing then I wouldn't worry too much. You might try incorporating some healthy fats as others have said - natural peanut butter or snack of greek yogart - you can add 200 calories easily.

Everyone is different and it may take you some trial and error to see what works for you. But I wouldn't be concerned about being over sugar if your getting it from real food - like fruit - unless you stop losing - then you may need to look closer at it.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This link will work:

THANK YOU!! I WILL DEFINITELY READ ON THIS.. SO IF I EAT EXACTLY 1200 I WILL STILL LOOSE WEIGHT? AND I SHOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT HE HEALTHY PROTEIN OR SUGARS?

Personally if your sugar is elevated from fruit and not refined sugar I wouldn't worry about it. But everyone is different. I also dont worry about going over in my protein, but I do intense cardio and lift weights so I need the protein. You might not need as much. It depends on your exercise regiment. Instead of making yourself crazy trying to meet the exact numbers MFP gives you, just remember that the key is everything in moderation. Theres nothing wrong with fruits but, don't go crazy eating just fruits all day long. There should be a balance in your diet.

I also think you could eat more then 1200 and still lose but that's just my opinion and like I said everyone is different. I've been eating at LEAST 1600 calories for a while and I've managed to lose weight.
  • _eli_80
    Options

The recommended protein intake on MFP is quite low. I have mine manually set and eat about double what MFP had suggested for me. Its fine if you are over in protein. I don't track my sugar but if you are over you may want to see where it is coming from. If you are eating foods with a lot of processed sugar you may want to re-evaluate food choices since many high sugar foods (not all) may have fewer nutrients. If you are eating a balanced diet, then I wouldn't worry about it.

At the same height and age, I am eating more than 1200 calories. You may want to re-evaluate that as well. You should not be aiming for 2 lbs a week weight loss, it is too high of a goal with the amount of weight you have to lose.

Great! thank you so much
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Your macro-nutrients are carbs, protein, and fat. They should be relatively in balance. IMHO, MFP's macros settings are overly carb heavy and short on protein with moderate fat. If I recall they do a 55c/15p/30f split. I strive for a 40c/30p/30f split which has helped me immensely with my blood work and getting my triglycerides down as well as my cholesterol. I was way too carb heavy before MFP, much of which was coming from high fructose corn syrup and added sugars.

Most of my sugars come from fruits now as well and I have very little added sugar...but you really want to make sure you are in balance. People tend to have very skewed thoughts on what is healthy or not and they eat tons of fruit and/or tons of veg and skimp on the proteins and fat thinking that they are being particularly healthy by avoiding fat.

Truth is, your body needs healthy fats..healthy fats help combat heart disease and also help balance out hormones and are crucial to proper brain and nervous system function. You also need protein and most people, unless they are truly sedentary, need more protein than MFP recommends.
  • _eli_80
    Options
    This link will work:

Personally if your sugar is elevated from fruit and not refined sugar I wouldn't worry about it. But everyone is different. I also dont worry about going over in my protein, but I do intense cardio and lift weights so I need the protein. You might not need as much. It depends on your exercise regiment. Instead of making yourself crazy trying to meet the exact numbers MFP gives you, just remember that the key is everything in moderation. Theres nothing wrong with fruits but, don't go crazy eating just fruits all day long. There should be a balance in your diet.

I also think you could eat more then 1200 and still lose but that's just my opinion and like I said everyone is different. I've been eating at LEAST 1600 calories for a while and I've managed to lose weight.

completely see your point.. and al my sugars are from healthy sources.. i dont weight lift due to a recent surgery i had so light cardio is all i can do.. and regarding the calories.. i think i did become a little OCD on them. its crazy how at the end of your day when you submit them it will tell you "if every day was like this you will be _____ in 5 weeks! so of course the less i ate the lower the ____ would be.. i need to stop obsessing over this! thanks for your help!
  • _eli_80
    Options

Your macro-nutrients are carbs, protein, and fat. They should be relatively in balance. IMHO, MFP's macros settings are overly carb heavy and short on protein with moderate fat. If I recall they do a 55c/15p/30f split. I strive for a 40c/30p/30f split which has helped me immensely with my blood work and getting my triglycerides down as well as my cholesterol. I was way too carb heavy before MFP, much of which was coming from high fructose corn syrup and added sugars.

Most of my sugars come from fruits now as well and I have very little added sugar...but you really want to make sure you are in balance. People tend to have very skewed thoughts on what is healthy or not and they eat tons of fruit and/or tons of veg and skimp on the proteins and fat thinking that they are being particularly healthy by avoiding fat.

Truth is, your body needs healthy fats..healthy fats help combat heart disease and also help balance out hormones and are crucial to proper brain and nervous system function. You also need protein and most people, unless they are truly sedentary, need more protein than MFP recommends.
  • _eli_80
    Options

thank you!!!! and yes all my sugars are form a healthy source! i will take notes and keep and eye on my MACROS.