To fat to run?

Hi. I'm 50lbs overweight. Should I lose the pounds before starting jogging or jump right in? Thank you for any advice.

Replies

• rosem1020
    rosem1020 Posts: 41 Member
    bump cause im interested in answers
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    What does ' bump' mean sorry?
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    See a trainer, get your joints checked, work on muscle strength and balance BEFORE you start trying to run.
  • MeganGable
    MeganGable Posts: 68 Member
    You are never too fat to run....if you can. I'd say, walk briskly....if you can do a little bit of jogging, go for it! Jog a little, walk a little. Eventually, you can do a whole mile jog :) Just make sure you have really good shoes and your knees are stable! Also, breathe while you are doing it. :):)
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    "Bring up my post" - it's bumps the post up.
  • dtroutman
    dtroutman Posts: 62
    Ive read that if you can walk two miles at a very brisk pace without stopping you are ready to start jogging/running. Otherwise you need to work your way up to that.

Im not to that point yet I can walk a mile without stopping and the time I tried to jog my shins hurt really badly afterwards.

Good luck to you : )
  • Lookup the Couch 2 5k program. It's a 9 week program that will take you from not being a runner to running (or jogging) a 5k. It's a challenging program if you're not in shape like me, but it's doable. You don't have to complete it in 9 weeks...you can go at your own pace. Just be sure to take it slow. I made the mistake of going to fast too soon and ended up with a serious injury. If you do it right, you can run.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    If it were me, Id do the elliptical machine or stairmaster to get stronger and strengthen my joints before starting to run. Running is hard on any body, and especially hard on one carrying extra weight. I do know heavy people who run but i really think the calorie burn is better from stairs and elliptical anyway.
  • See a trainer, get your joints checked, work on muscle strength and balance BEFORE you start trying to run.

And do this stuff too :smile:
  • Im 40+ overweight and have done a 5k and a 10k. My advice, start slow and take it easy at the start. Its gonna hurt but as you get stronger youll be amazed at what you can do!
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    I started with brisk walking and dance and then started running (using a C25K program) after about three months. I still had about 80 pounds to lose then. Now I run three times most weeks, and love it! And I still have plenty of weight to lose. Having said that, if you can't walk briskly for 30 minutes/2 miles, I'd start with that.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    I lost a lot of my weight while running. See a doc if you're worried... But download c25k or zombies, run! 5k trainer. :D
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Start out slow and work your way up-- provided you don't have any joint or bone issues stopping you.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    I'm no Dr but I think anytime is a good time. Maybe just start off a little slower though. Take a few weeks taking walks just to get those leg muscles, tendons, and such to wake up and start getting stronger.
  • Wizard87
    Wizard87 Posts: 21 Member
    I was about the same amount overweight when I decided to start running. I walked my dog each night on the route I planned to run, and did that for about a week. Then, I started to run a block, then walk, each time. Slowly I ran more and walked less. It took about 10 days to full-time running. Not only did I get in better shape, but my dog is now much more fit (which makes the vet happy).
    One tip that I wish someone had told me: Spend the time and money to go to a running store (not a big box store) and get measured for running shoes that are appropriate for your size/weight and feet. I started with shoes that were a good brand, but not designed for my feet or my weight. So I got shin splints, hip pain, you name it. Getting the appropriate shoes made a world of difference.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    I have around 30lbs until I'm no longer overweight, and a UGW of dropping 54lbs, and I run 5k twice a week. When I started running I was at least 50lbs overweight - it's nothing to do with how heavy you are and everything to do with not killing yourself on your first outing!

If you haven't done any cardio in a long time, start out with a brisk walk - then next time commit to running for 30 seconds and walking for 3 mins, or whatever works for you! Like others have said, just build it up slowly!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    "Bring up my post" - it's bumps the post up.
    I never knew it was actually an acronym! I just assumed you were bumping your post to the front of the line. lol
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 275 Member
    I started C25k at 270 pounds (I'm 5'9"). I was never a runner before, but now I'm doing 60+ miles every month and I love it.
  • frostytots
    frostytots Posts: 33 Member
    I started at about 140 to lose and I started running (jogging). Take it slow and don't try to be a hero. Make sure you are strength training too.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    I started adding jogging or what I joking refer to was wogging :laugh: at 70+ pounds overweight.

I normally will start off walking to my music and at the 3rd song I jog, at first it was just part of the song, then I made it all the way thru the song jogging (which BTW is the Eye of the Tiger :smile: ) now I can walk 2 songs, jog 2 songs. I'm still far from a "runner" but I'm moving more and that's what matters to me!! :wink: