Cleases/Detoxes

Options
2»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Cleanses and detoxes are not necessary. If you eat properly your digestive system and kidneys will do their job.

^^^This! Best way to start your knew lifestyle off on the right path - go grocery shopping and stock up on all kinds of yummy nutritious healthy foods and forget about cleanses!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I love John Cleese I agree go with the Cleese. He has the best dead pan humor.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Drink water, restrict caffeine... that's all you need to detox.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    FLATBELLY detox & diet. it is HEALTHY foods.

Not some effed up juice crap
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to throw this out there and see what people thought. I read a lot on here about how cleanses and detoxes are hooey. I don't, personally, subscribe to the idea that they are complete hooey. I get that our kidneys, liver, colons, etc. are the mechanisms designed by nature to "cleanse" our bodies – but are those organs not designed by nature to cleanse us of things we were biologically meant to ingest, digest and expel? Unfortunately, may people put things into their mouths that are so highly processed and chemically engineered I have a very hard time fathoming the idea that our nature-made livers are capable of processing those things completely and without incident. I don't purchase or partake in any detox/cleansing products per say, but I do make sure I eat as close to a natural, whole and unprocessed diet as possible, add foods and nutrients with cleansing properties to boost my body's natural abilities naturally and guzzle water. For whatever that's worth, I feel fantastic.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Whatever you hear about the benefits of cleansing or detoxing is a sales pitch not science. The only thing likely to be cleaned out is your wallet
    psychological benefits are science. :)

and it does have physiological benefits as well, just not any more than eating "clean" would.

Nope. The five basic requirements for a field to be considered scientifically rigorous: clearly defined terminology, quantifiability, highly controlled experimental conditions, reproducibility and, finally, predictability and testability.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/13/news/la-ol-blowback-pscyhology-science-20120713
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    add foods and nutrients with cleansing properties to boost my body's natural abilities naturally and guzzle water.
    What foods have cleansing properties? What specifically do they cleanse?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Whatever you hear about the benefits of cleansing or detoxing is a sales pitch not science. The only thing likely to be cleaned out is your wallet

and it does have physiological benefits as well, just not any more than eating "clean" would.

Nope. The five basic requirements for a field to be considered scientifically rigorous: clearly defined terminology, quantifiability, highly controlled experimental conditions, reproducibility and, finally, predictability and testability.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/13/news/la-ol-blowback-pscyhology-science-20120713

Great my night is ruined now
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good thoughts and or recommendations about cleasing? Wanting to detox before I really get into my new nutrition and exercise routine. Thanks!

Wanting to do something else before you started eating and exercising better is what got you overweight to begin with.

Don't put it off any longer. Start today.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Great my night is ruined now

Hey chill. Drinking meets the requirements to be considered scientific.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What foods have cleansing properties? What specifically do they cleanse?

The ones I incorporate the most (mostly because they are the easiest to add to recipes) are flax seed & chia seeds (which I just toss into oatmeal), lemons, parsley, garlic, artichokes, ginger and kale. I also take spirulina daily. There are lots of articles online you could research with the exact properties/functions for each but the gist is that they each just sorta help your body do what it does naturally in breaking down foods and expelling waste. Of course, I am sure there are also articles out there dispelling this but that just seems counter-intuitive to me. Food is what our body needs for optimal function – makes sense to me that certain foods work in specific ways within our systems.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Whatever the stuff is that they prescribe you right before a colonoscopy. Heard that stuff cleans ya out a lot, and fast. :laugh:
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Whatever the stuff is that they prescribe you right before a colonoscopy. Heard that stuff cleans ya out a lot, and fast. :laugh:
    That is very true.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I cleansed myself of soda, I lost 20 lbs in the first month...
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Yes, evolution has given you kidneys. These cleanse/detox you. Unless they are malfunctioning, I would trust to these biological miracles if I were you.......

^^^yup.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options

BAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've never heard it defined what exactly is in those "toxins" people are trying to cleanse. I think it's all silly.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone has ever accused this particular poster of being "scientifically rigorous"