Vacation for 5 days - how to eat?

Options
I have been doing really well losing weight this year so far. I have a vacation in the middle of May for 5 days. I will be eating out at nice restaurants. Most aren't chains and won't have calorie info online. I want to relax and enjoy the trip, but I'm worried I'll gain a bunch of weight from the restaurant food.

I really don't want to log calories on MFP and just relax. At the same time, I feel like I should but maybe it won't be accurate from without the list of calories from the restaurants.

Any advice?

Replies

• judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I am planning a vacation this summer and also do not want to count calories that week. I plan on using my pedometer and making sure I walk a ton and just not going crazy with the food. I am hoping this will work. If not, I will lose anything I gained and learn from the experience.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Realistically what is the MOST you can gain in 5 days? 2 pounds maybe? It's a vacation. Enjoy it! :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    practice intuitive eating and portion control. stick to your dietary standards...for example, my diet (noun) is largely Mediterranean inspired...so those are the kinds of things that make up the bulk of my diet whether I'm home or away. My diet is focused around lean protein sources like poultry and fish, fruit, veg, some whole grains, and fats from things like avocado, nuts, olives and olive oil, etc. My dairy intake is limited. I stick to this regardless of whether I'm home or on vacation or whatever...and I practice portion control and intuitive eating. Eat slow so that you allow yourself time to listen to your body...when you're "full" it's actually too late and your body is telling you that you overate. Listen for satiety.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have been doing really well losing weight this year so far. I have a vacation in the middle of May for 5 days. I will be eating out at nice restaurants. Most aren't chains and won't have calorie info online. I want to relax and enjoy the trip, but I'm worried I'll gain a bunch of weight from the restaurant food.

I really don't want to log calories on MFP and just relax. At the same time, I feel like I should but maybe it won't be accurate from without the list of calories from the restaurants.

Any advice?

I never log on vacations. Life is too short not to indulge once in awhile. 5 days out of your life....have fun! I do try to get in a lot of recreational exercise on vacation and I practice "intuitive eating". Basically means I eat what I want but stop when I'm full. Enjoy!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Go for grilled foods and continue to eat veggies and fruits as well. Don't deprive yourself. Relax and enjoy your vacation. Most of all do what makes you happy.

EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. It will all equal out. Don't skip any meals. Drink lots of water. make good choices. You can do it at restaurants too. They will modify if you ask them too. You can ask them to leave butter off of things-just a small example. You can eat anything you want. It can be cooked in a healthy way.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It's vacation!!!

Just relax and enjoy!

Take a break from logging at least.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    It depends where you're going what kind of temptation awaits you. I went to Disney for my honeymoon and gained a few pounds. If it were me, I'd probably just take the five days off. But if you are concerned about that derailing you longer or something, just try to choose the most nutritious thing you can. Grilled chicken or fish, veggies, etc. Or if you are going to places with really good food that you want, but that isn't healthy (for me that would mean good mexican or italian), then eat really well at breakfast and lunch then have what you want for dinner. As long as you get back on it as soon as vacation is over, you are unlikely to set yourself back. I went out of town for a conference last year and the hotel restaurant was a pizza place. I ate calzones for 3 nights, but worked out a bit at the hotel gym, then within a week of getting home I had lost a pound or 2 from before I left.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ez...have fun eat your *kitten* off! after alot of dieting it is a wonderful break it will reset you and give you extra motivation...for when you come back!!
    Kristian Roccco NYC