what should i do to build muscle?

Options
im skinny fat..though im going to be in week 3 already in 5X5 strong lift.

u know yes i got stronger. before when i did 60 pounds of squat my leg were soar as hell

but now im at 110 pound no hurt feeling at all and it even seems easy to me

the thing is this.in our gym no one uses the program 5X5. and honestly they are more on 3day plan

like day 1 chest day 2 back day 3 leg. ect.

most of my gymmates?;; are already working out for 5 years~7 years.there body is actually not big but muscular.

and they are shock when i lift like 110~120 pounds of squat yesterday.;;may be they were shock because my body seems weak

but i can handle that;;but anyway they never approach me nor say something to me.but when i see the mirror it seems like they

are looking at me. u know;; this is very embarrassing ;;

and specially when i follow 5x5 it's not leg day chest day back day ect.

it's just everything at one day;;right? it's like squat,benchpress,what ever;;

i think some are wondering "what is he working on today?"HAHA..;;:)

and im just going to gym three days a week

unlike them they always go to gym every single day;;

what other exercise can make me stronger?that can be equal to other gym people.

should i just ignore them? or should i go on with their plans.

or can i do it like bench press with some tricep work out 5x5,the next day death lift,barbell curl 5x5,squat and some other leg

workout 5x5?SOMEBODY HELP ME~~~~:(

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    On Stronglifts you're not meant to go to the gym every day. You need recovery time in between.

I doubt that everyone is really looking at you. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't stress about the other people in the gym.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you actually talked to these guys? It sounds like you're saying you've never spoken to them but you think they're looking down on you. Is that right?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    stronglifts is a 3x a week plan. i'm sure a lot of people there, especially if they have been lifting for quite a few years, are aware of powerlifting 5x5 or 3x5 routines.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    As a beginner you should ignore bro-splits that work a different body part per day.

You should be doing what you are doing now. A full body routine 3 times a week.

Make sure you:

a) Lift consistently
    b) Eat 200 cals a day over TDEE
    c) Get adequate sleep/rest
    d) Put in some time under the bar (ie actually train for 6 months)

Don't think you'll pack on muscle in 2 seconds flat. I personally think the majority of so-called "newbie gains" are in fact neuro-muscular adaption. However, once you've extracted all of this initial neuromuscular efficiency from your muscles, they will have no option but to grow as long as you keep progressively overloading them as per your chosen programme and getting adequate rest/nutrition.

Rest and nutrition are KEY. Don't ignore them. If you are not eating/sleeping enough, then it doesn't matter if you switch off your current highly-regarded programme onto a some muscle-mag bro-split nonsense......
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is for beginners. Split work (different body parts on different days) is more for intermediate lifters. As you said they have been going to the gym for 5-7 years. I would stick with Stronglifts for at least 3-6 months and then reassess where you are.

If they are looking at you it sounds like they are just suprised by how much you have increased your lifting weight which is a good sign.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what other people say or do. Most people at a gym don't know what they are doing. For someone new to lifting splitting body parts would be dumb. Strong Lifts is a good choice. Make sure you do take a day off in between like you are supposed to. Make sure you eat enough and have good form. You're not going to get strong if you don't lift so just do what you can and move up in weights when you can and like the program calls for.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is for beginners. Split work (different body parts on different days) is more for intermediate lifters. As you said they have been going to the gym for 5-7 years. I would stick with Stronglifts for at least 3-6 months and then reassess where you are.

If they are looking at you it sounds like they are just suprised by how much you have increased your lifting weight which is a good sign.

Wow - simultaneous post! We should make a wish.......
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Stick with StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength for now, focus on large compound movements
    3 full body workouts a week
    10-20% caloric surplus
    1g of protein per lb of bodyweight
    0.5g of fat pr lb of bodyweight
    Remainder with carbs
    Forget the bros doing their 6x a week routine with chest day 1, back day 2 etc.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Why are you comparing we 3 weeks progress to 7 years?
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts is a great beginner program. You will come to find out that eventually you can not lift the amount of weight (you max out) and are unable to complete 5 sets of 5 reps. This when you move onto 3x5. You will only do 3 sets of 5 and add in a few other isolation exercises.

5x5- great for beginners, utilizes compound movements (works multiple muscle groups at the same time) Good for about 8-12 weeks, depends on how heavy you started off. The heavier the starting weight, the less time for your muscles to gain strength.

3X5.- next step after 5x5. incorporates muscle group isolation exercises

So, after you max out and can no longer do 5x5 with excellent form add in some isolation exercises and only do 3 sets of 5 reps

Heres what I like:

5x5 (8 weeks)
    Workout A
    squat
    bench press
    inverted rows / lat pull downs / rows (whichever you like)
    pushups 3 sets to fatigue
    plank 3 sets for 30 sec each / 30 rest inbetween

Workout B
    Squat
    overhead press
    Deadlift (1 set only)
    Chin ups / pull ups (alternate) 3 sets to fatigue
    Reverse crunches

3x5 ( Forever -- but mix up the exercises every 4-5 weeks, so you don't get bored)
    Workout A
    Squat
    Lateral Pulldown
    Bench Press
    Rows
    Bicep curls (free weights/ with a bar...whatever just workem)
    Pushups to fatigue 3 sets
    Plank
    sit ups (however you like)

Workout B
    Squat
    Overhead Press
    Calf raises
    Deadlift (1 set only)
    Leg Press or Lunges (however you like to do them)
    Tricep extensions / or Pushdowns (whatever you like) / dips
    Shoulder shrugs
    Chin ups / pull ups
    Abs ( what ever you want/ however you want...just work em)

Take it for what its worth...But I enjoy it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5 and good food
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What should you do to build muscle? Ignore dumba**es in the gym, for one.

If what you're doing is working, and you're getting stronger, keep doing it until your progress stops.

If you're not as lean as you'd like, eat less and try to get adequate nutrition. If you're not as jacked as you'd like, eat more and try to get adequate nutrition.

The person who's been working consistently and has brought their squat up from 65 for 5x5 to 115 for 5x5 is far more impressive than that guy who can put up 315 but hasn't gotten any stronger in the last 4 years.