Too much fat but within calories?

Options
I just pre-logged my food for today. After I work out tonight I will be under calories however I will be 37 grams over on fat (avacado for snack and olive oil in a salad dressing so all good fats). Will this hinder my weight loss?

TIA!!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat enough protein (ideally 1g per pound of lean body mass but 1g per kg of body weight is acceptable) being over on fat is fine. Fats and protein should be viewed as minimum values so it's fine to go over. Carbs are unnecessary so you don't have to worry about eating enough. Some people do low carb, some people find their exercise suffers if they keep carbs to low, do what works for you.

For information of setting your macro target, go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No...but it is likely you are deficient elsewhere in your macro goals. What are your ratios? Are you getting enough protein?
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set up for 51 grams of protein and I will have 65...

Thanks for your comments!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I typically worry more about Sat Fat than regular fat, because as you stated, some healthy foods have high fat content.
  • Christy1759
    Christy1759 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been on a low carb, moderate protein, and high fat diet, and have been losing weight well! Every other diet I've tried has failed me, but this one seems to be working better than any I have tried! My hunger is less than at any other time, also! I've only been on myfitnesspal for less than two weeks, but have been doing this kind of diet since the day after Easter.
    So, I would say that more fat should not slow your weight loss down at all, and may keep you from getting hungry. And you said that they were all good fats, and that is important. No trans fats or processed oils from the grocery store, or those in ready-made baked products.
    This is working for me. It may not be the same for everyone.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I've been on a low carb, moderate protein, and high fat diet, and have been losing weight well! Every other diet I've tried has failed me, but this one seems to be working better than any I have tried! My hunger is less than at any other time, also! I've only been on myfitnesspal for less than two weeks, but have been doing this kind of diet since the day after Easter.
    So, I would say that more fat should not slow your weight loss down at all, and may keep you from getting hungry. And you said that they were all good fats, and that is important. No trans fats or processed oils from the grocery store, or those in ready-made baked products.
    This is working for me. It may not be the same for everyone.
    Trans fats are the only fats that need to be avoided. Saturated fats are necessary, too. With fats, it's more important to look at the ratio of monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and saturated fats. Fat is less satiating than protein but more satiating than carbs. IME, fat is good for staying full for a longer period of time. It's not as immediately satiating the way protein is, but it will keep hunger at bay.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat doesn't make you fat, caloric surplus does.
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thnks everyone, I appreciate it!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I exercise, I "buy back" fats and carbs as well as calories, so maybe after you exercise, you won't be much over.
  • Christy1759
    Christy1759 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. We don't have to be afraid of saturated fats. I had the best blood test numbers when I was eating eggs every day, and sometimes bacon with them, and grass-fed beef for supper (because we raise it). It's just that people don't believe you when you say that.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I just pre-logged my food for today. After I work out tonight I will be under calories however I will be 37 grams over on fat (avacado for snack and olive oil in a salad dressing so all good fats). Will this hinder my weight loss?

TIA!!

Will having to much fat within your calorie limit cause any health problems?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

TIA!!

Will having to much fat within your calorie limit cause any health problems?
    No.