I want to replace envelopes for taco seasoning

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
Does anyone have a clean recipe for taco seasoning? I have tried cayenne pepper, chili powder, and garlic and it is good but doesn't taste the same as opening an envelope of Old El Paso!

Thanks!

D

Replies

• livingnlove
    livingnlove Posts: 49
    Options
    Ingredients
    1 tablespoon chili powder 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon onion powder 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon paprika 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin 1 teaspoon sea salt 1 teaspoon black pepper
    Directions
    In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    I have never tried Old El Paso, but I worked in a Mexican restaurant for years and the main seasonings we used were cumin, chili powder, garlic, and onion. We also used a lot of fresh cilantro. I think the cumin will give you the flavor you are looking for. The first time I smelled it I instantly thought "THAT smells like good Mexican food!" :)
  • Eliza0930
    Eliza0930 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump !
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    bump too! I buy Club House Tex Mex in the big bottle, but still would rather do my own.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Taco seasoning also often has sugar in it. Shocking right? maybe that's the flavor aspect you're missing. Good luck. Let us know what you end up mixing together!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent question!

I use those packets sometimes, but I just don't feel good about it, given the high sodium content.

I agree that cumin is probably the secret ingredient, especially in fajita seasoning.

I'm looking forward to trying this myself this weekend!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    In my quest to cut out sodium and sugar, I found this recipe. I like mine a bit spicier, so I tweak it some with more chili powder and cumin. You can adjust to your taste.

4 tbsp chili powder
    3 tbsp plus 1 tsp paprika
    3 tbsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp plus 2 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well to blend. Store in airtight container.
    To prepare taco meat: Use 2 heaping tablespoons in place of a package of taco seasoning...cook approx. 1 lb of meat, add 1 cup of water with the seasoning, simmer until the liquid is almost completely gone.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    yes! must try this, I love tacos but the packaged stuff is SO high in sodium! OOOh...I'm gonna try it with shredded chicken breast instead of beef!
    :heart: Thanks!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :flowerforyou: I bet it is cumin! I have never in my life used it :laugh: but I want to learn even more about cooking real!:love:

D
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump:tongue:
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    I buy taco seasoning from myspicesage.com - I am addicted to the site anyway, but they have some really good stuff!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    DD this was delish!! Now I cant use the envelopes because it takes way to salty!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx
  • vanessaxlynne
    Options
    bump
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    bump
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    bump
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Bump
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Bump
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :smile: Bump
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Fresh cilantro is the key to making a recipe taste Mexican!!! And of course the cumin and chili powder. :))

Try a little green tabasco for some heat as well!