Cardio versus weights for weight loss

Options
I've done mostly cardio over the last three years ( walking and running) and started weights in January.

I love my stress busting walk/ run!

Problem is,my body just can't seem to take it anymore! My joints hurt for hours after a workout so,while the spirit is willing,the flesh is definitely getting weak.

Can you lose weight just lifting?

For those of you who have lifted for awhile,how much cardio do you do per week?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Replies

• pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me fitness is 50% diet, 40% strength training, and 10% cardio. I've heard the same repeated in various ways, but the long and short of it is that cardio is a great burn while you do it but the added burn stops almost immediately after completion. Strength and conditioning training gives you a sustained burn over the course of the day.
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I actually do very little pure cardio. I try to do most of my weightlifting as a circuit, moving from one station to another to get my heart rate up, rather than jog, run, etc. My old bones and joints won't take much of it, and I find I need two to three days recovery after a long bike ride. Swimming is about the only pure cardio exercise I do. with weightlifting, you have to tax the muscles. You can't just curl 10# ten times, and call it a workout. you have to increase reps. weight, and try to decrease rest time. It most certainly can be done.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I just joined spinning class and really like it, but I can't do that and weight lift, my body just gives out.

I'm reading "Faster, Better, Stronger" by Eric Heiden. He suggests something like:

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Warm-up, run (biggest aerobic day)
    Wednesday: Warm-up, and muscle strengtheing
    Thursday: Warm-up, swim, bide or yoga
    Friday: Warm-up, and run
    Saturday: Warm-up, yoga or pilates adn swim
    Sunday: Warm-up, and muscle strengthening

Does this sound reasonable to anyone else?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    In regards to losing weight? Lifting doesn't do that, eating at a caloric deficit does that.

That being said, do whatever exercise you enjoy/can stick to. I personally think that a combo of both cardio and weights is ideal.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The idea that you have to do tons of cardio to lose weight is one of the worst myths in fitness.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I've done mostly cardio over the last three years ( walking and running) and started weights in January.

I love my stress busting walk/ run!

Problem is,my body just can't seem to take it anymore! My joints hurt for hours after a workout so,while the spirit is willing,the flesh is definitely getting weak.

Can you lose weight just lifting?

For those of you who have lifted for awhile,how much cardio do you do per week?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Tell you the truth -- I've been in a walking boot for over two months now. I do barely any cardio except for like a 400m warm-up row. I only lift weights in Crossfit and I have been the most fit I've been. Just saying....you don't need it.

Healthy diet is necessary though!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I do both. Weight training about 3 days a week, and cardio every day! that's proven to be the most effective for me, but everyone is different. I stand with the idea that you should just do what you enjoy, and eat properly.
  • fitnesslindybop
    Options
    Hi, I have been running for years and have trained for marathons and half marathons and I am also starting to gets sore joints, in fact I have an ankle injury at the moment, however during all this cardio my body shape never really changed, until I took the advise of my teenage son who suggested I tried light weights doing high reps and WOW what a change, I look slimmer, my waist is tight and my arms look better than ever (im 48 ) so now I combine both cardio and weights, i run with my dog every morning then go to the gym, I also have a half marathon planned for september ankle permitting!!!
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    In my experience, changing your diet is the best way to lose weight, and lifting weights is the best way to improve your body composition (i.e., body fat vs. muscle). Cardio is just a bonus in that it gives you more calories to play with (assuming you eat back your exercise calories, or at least some of them). That said, if you enjoy running/walking, you should do it as often as you enjoy it and can do it without hurting yourself. I do some sort of cardio daily, but most days its just walking. I run about 3 times a week and lift 2-3 times per week.
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Does lifting burn calories, yes. Does it burn as many as other activities, maybe. Should you only do one, no depending on what your goals are.

Lifting is fine and it does burn some calories, how much really depends on what you are doing and how intense you are. Doing some light bicep curls for 20 reps isn't going to cut it, just the same as a single rep heavy squat with 5 minutes of rest between sets isn't going to cut it.

IMHO running, biking, etc. help build a more well rounded fitness. They generally burn more calories per time segment than a lifting counter part and require no specific equipment. If walking is starting to be hard on your joints I would suggest you go talk to your Doctor and see if there is something else going on.

Lol @ who ever said they don't do cardio, they do Cross-Fit. What do you think all the AMRAP is for....its not standard run X miles, but the rounds are geared to get your heart rate up for a prolonged period of time.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    In my experience, changing your diet is the best way to lose weight, and lifting weights is the best way to improve your body composition (i.e., body fat vs. muscle). Cardio is just a bonus in that it gives you more calories to play with (assuming you eat back your exercise calories, or at least some of them). That said, if you enjoy running/walking, you should do it as often as you enjoy it and can do it without hurting yourself. I do some sort of cardio daily, but most days its just walking. I run about 3 times a week and lift 2-3 times per week.

This. Lifting will provide more of a direct carry over for body composition. There is nothing wrong with cardio, but from a composition standpoint, you will see greater results with a solid resistance program and calorie counting/mild deficit.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds three years ago with cardio and by making over my diet.

I've kept most of the weight off until about three months ago when I gained 7 pounds.

I was also diagnosed with lupus around this time but I told myself I wasn't going to let that stop me,I wasn't going to change the way I work out etc.But it's getting harder to ignore so it's frustrating because I was determined it wouldn't affect me.

I could live with only losing the 7 pounds I've gained but I'm afraid of gaining it ALL back if I give up the cardio,

However,I am AMAZED at the changes since I started lifting.Never thought I could have arms like this in my old age!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i mostly lift and do cardio (alternate lifting and cardio every other day) and i've seen incredible results from this. i've done p90x and now doing a body beast/HIIT cardio hybrid program (Cardio can be a workout from from asylum, tapout, insanity or running).
  • rearglutespread
    Options
    If your body is sore you should try taking in more protein. Cardio isn't needed for weightloss but it can speed it up. Until recently I didn't bother with cardio, I lost weight and became leaner through lifting heavy and having a good diet that was kept below my maintenance calories. I really think more women need to lift, a lot think it''s going to make you big and bulky but in reality only the diet will do that. If you want that squat bum etc you have to squat. Cardio will make you look skinny but it won't make your body have a nice shape.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    you can buid muscle from lifting weights- which in turn will increase your metabolism and over time change body composition. you can add muscle and maybe shed some fat (if you have a proper diet)- perhaps not losing a lot of weight. however, you will look- smaller, tighter and more fit. combine the two (weights and cardio) for optimum results. good luck.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I eat my TDEE to maintain my weight; while losing weight I ate at a deficit.

I do cardio because it makes me happy, either because I can eat a bit more and I love eating, or because the endorphins are a lot like drugs.

I lift weights because it makes me look hot (and I have a sneaky suspicion that those muscles keep my TDEE nice and high which enables me to indulge my love of food and (good) beer).

In sum: it's the diet that will make you lose weight. It's the strength training that will keep you looking good doing it, and the cardio is icing on the cake, sometimes literally.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    In regards to losing weight? Lifting doesn't do that, eating at a caloric deficit does that.

That being said, do whatever exercise you enjoy/can stick to. I personally think that a combo of both cardio and weights is ideal.

Agreed.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Bad knees, bad back, chronic pleurisy....yeah, I can't stand cardio. I can do short spurts like a Sprint 8, but that's it. I mostly walk or lift weights. Whatever you end up doing, make sure you're feeding your body what it needs, but not *more* than what it needs. :)
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    If your body is sore you should try taking in more protein. Cardio isn't needed for weightloss but it can speed it up. Until recently I didn't bother with cardio, I lost weight and became leaner through lifting heavy and having a good diet that was kept below my maintenance calories. I really think more women need to lift, a lot think it''s going to make you big and bulky but in reality only the diet will do that. If you want that squat bum etc you have to squat. Cardio will make you look skinny but it won't make your body have a nice shape.

My Doctor was actually really pleased that I started lifting weights.

He said no matter what,keep lifting!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    lifting weights and doing cardio is to get you body in a better physical conditioning not to lose weight. if you want to lose weight it begins and ends with what you put into your mouth.

on another note if you knees and everything hurts from running and walking you should try spinning. it is a great workout without the stress on the joints like running