GETTING UPSET AND DISCOURAGED :'-(

Options

Replies

• julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I know people have already said it, but it is super hard to burn 1200 to 1400 calories in working unless you are devoting hours and hours to it daily. Even if you are heavier, I think that may be an overestimation less you weigh like, 400 pounds. that's really my only suggestion. Maybe also try elimination processed foods, high in sodium and sugar.
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I weigh more than that so it's definitely possible then for me to burn what I do

what are some examples of high interval intensity training please? thank you
  • 5willards
    5willards Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same thing you describe was happening to me. Gotta eat more. Once I increased my calories, I started to lose more. My go-to for a super healthy cal increase is homemade guacamole. Worked wonderfully for me. Good luck!
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Honestly you are going to get a bunch of differenct suggestions and the truth is you need to try each one for an amount of time to see what works. Of course this is yet another opinion added to the many. Stay encouraged and keep pressing until the change happens.....
  • nicetymello
    Options
    usually treadmill, ellipitcal, stair master, sometimes bicycling on the beach, hiking, cycling classes, or step classes...not all at the same time but I mix it up.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I know of no one, including professional bodybuilders, who burn anywhere near 1400 calories in the most intense workout. With all due respect, you are not burning that. You're lucky to burn 300 calories in a typical workout. Exercise simply does not burn enough calories to justify you counting on it as a weigh loss tool. You should not eat back our exercise calories.

I suggest you go to fat2fitradio.com and use their calculators to see how many calories you should have per day. The calories they give you are what you're allowed and include your activity level. So, you never eat back exercise calories.

You are likely overeating. But you won't know until you take your exercise out of the equation and track your calories that you're actually eating. Then, at some point, wean yourself away from logging because you don't want to be seventy and logging your meals.
  • nicetymello
    Options
    thank you for that! I know everyone has opinions which I appreciate however I'd just like to get some feedback and go with the most sensible answers that I can consider :-)
  • nicetymello
    Options
    well I have lost 23lbs so far since 2/20/2013 so all is not wrong. this journey is just a constant battle. I'm definitely going to check out the website though :-)
  • nicetymello
    Options
    thank you for your input! I really think this is my answer! I'm going to eat more this week. I bet we never thought we'd have to eat more to lose weight, LOL
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you are working out that much, you are gaining muscle (which adds weight) while losing fat, so weight wise, you are evening out. That does not mean you aren't doing things right or you have stalled. It just means you are gaining muscle. Focus more on how you look and less on the scale.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    PLEASE DON'T PATRONIZE ME BECAUSE I AM STARTING TO GET DEFENSIVE NOW. I AM ASKING FOR HELP AND BEING HONEST ABOUT WHAT I'M DOING BUT APPARENTLY IT SEEMS AS THOUGH YOU'RE PRESENT DOING MY ROUTINES SINCE YOU SEEM TO KNOW SO MUCH AND BELIEVE THE CONTRARY TO EVERYTHING I'M STATING. SO BY ALL MEANS PLEASE TELL ME HOW LONG IT'S TAKING ME TO BURN THE AMOUNT OF CALORIES I STATED.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT BUT NO THANKS. HAVE A GREAT DAY!

I am not patronizing you at all. I am just curious. I hear you are a bigger girl. I hear you are working your butt off. I just asked a couple simple questions for clarification. None of which were malicious by any means or meant to be and none of which have been answered BTW.
    ...give up - she's not budging on her calorie burn...you tried....
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I NEVER OVERESTIMATE AND I DO SET IT TO LOW OR MODERATE. HOWEVER I AM ON THE HEAVIER SIDE SO THE MORE SOMEONE WEIGHS THE MORE THEY BURN. I'M JUST WONDERING IF MY DILEMMA IS THAT I DON'T EAT ENOUGH (WHICH SOUNDS CRAZY) OR THE FACT THAT I'M NOT EATING AFTER I WORKOUT :-/

Are you going by MFP's calculations of calories burned or are you using a heart rate monitor?
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Wow that is a lot of calories burned in one work out! It seems like something is a little off. What kind of device are you using to monitor your work outs? I can walk 6 miles at a very brisk pace and not even burn 500 calories and I am still a bigger girl. I'm 5'2 and 170. My personal opinion is that your calories burned are being overestimated.

Are you eating back all of your exercise calories? If you are, try eating only half of them back and see what happens on the scale. Good luck!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is made in the kitchen, fitness is made in the gym. I cannot see your diary so cannot comment on it. That seems a lot of exercise. Could be your putting your body under too much stress. 9/10 diary wise it seems people are eating too many carbs, as i said cannot see your diary so cannot comment on that.

30-40% carbs is good for weight loss. Try 40 carbs, 30% protein and fat. Myfitnesspal typically sets you at 55% e
    Which is too high. Home, goals, change goals...

Zara.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    High Interval Intensity training schedules for treadmill are all over the internet for you to pick one that looks doable for you and works for you, but essentially, warm up for 5 min, ease up to a "high" speed, hold it for 30-60 seconds (HR should shoot up pretty fast), rest for two minutes, repeat 4-5 times, as much as you can do. end with a 5 minute cool down. Adjust it to what you think you can do. Begin with your workout set at 20-30 minutes. The idea is to do more "fast" segments, then rest and repeat, ather than all "medium/comfort level" segments as most people do with a normal run or bike.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Could someone please offer some advice in regards to what I'm doing wrong or may need to do to lose some more weight? Strangely enough I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough. I track my progress/eating on MyFitnessPal and they've allotted me 1650 calories to each each day which I typcially consume during the day prior to working out. During my workouts I'm burning at least 1200-1400 calories each time (4-5 days/week). However, I'm seeing very minimal results to no results on the scale at the end of each week. I generally workout after work and by the time I get home I usually don't eat because it's late and I know I'll be going to sleep soon. Please help as I'm getting very frustrated and discouraged. My eating has changed so drastically for the better to the point that I can barely stomach foods that I was eating prior to this journey. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)
    I am also a very large woman. It took me a long to time to find a scale to weigh me accurately. That can be very discouraging.
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I tried the websites you provided and my calories burned are not off. I'm burning a little over 1250 per workout based on the info I had to put in :-/ I like that site. I'm going to use it more often. Thanks for the reference.
  • nicetymello
    Options
    exactly!
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I'm much taller and over 100lbs more. The burn is pretty accurate.
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I'm trying that this week...thank you :-)