Anyone ever try a fad diet before?

Options
If so, what did you try and what was your experience? Were you able to keep it up long-term?

Replies

• AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    Most every one of them, and they all ended up not working so I would starve myself, that always worked! .........not!
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I did the HGC diet and drops before. Lost 30lbs in 5 weeks, then gained it all back. you can NOT live on 500 calories a day.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    I did the HGC diet and drops before. Lost 30lbs in 5 weeks, then gained it all back. you can NOT live on 500 calories a day.

I had a buddy who did HCG as well...his experience was pretty much the same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've done a few...they all worked to drop the weight, but not to keep it off. Reason they tend not to work long term is that they are something your start and then stop at some point...i.e. they're not a diet (noun), they're a diet (verb).

You also don't generally learn about how many calories your body actually needs...calories in/out...portion control...what a serving of something is and looks like, proper nutrition and macro/micro-nutrient content of food, etc. Everything is just sort of handed to you with a fad diet and you're left blowing in the wind when it's all over.

Your diet and fitness profile should be sustainable for life if you want lifetime results, with the only difference between now and maintenance being the number of calories you're consuming...i.e. a deficit now, maintenance later. Equally important, your fitness "lifestyle" should also be something sustainable and should have it's own, independent goals...independent of just calorie burn. You'll be much more likely to stick to a fitness regimen when you have independent fitness goals outside of calorie burn.
  • phumzilesiboza7
    phumzilesiboza7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did the 13day diet for matebolism change, lost 8kgs in 2 weeks, a yr later...its all back with an extra 3kgs!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I also started with the HGC last August and lost 30lb but since than I've lost another 26 the MFP way. =)
  • levicrouch
    Options
    Tried Atkins for about 2 weeks. Couldn't get past the induction period. I should have known better, i really don't like meat that much.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I did this thing called "Bio Diet" once many years ago....it was this juice fast thing, and probably only totaled 500 calories or so a day.. The fruit one wasn't too bad, but there was vegetable juice that, to this day, when I think about it hard enough, I can still conjur the taste and want to gag :sick:

I also tried Metabolife at one point too....and Atkins...

Obviously, none of those 'quick fix' things work (this should be no suprise to anyone here)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I cant count how many diets I tried in my lifetime. I lost on all of them.....and gained it all back and THEN some. I have since been educated. :wink:
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Air Force Diet, Cabbage Soup Diet, Weight Loss Clinic, Slim Fast, Atkins Diet, South Beach Diet, yep all of 'em. With EVERY ONE of them I gained the weight back because they weren't sustainable after the weight loss phase (for me). That's why MFP and eating foods I can live with for the rest of my life, in sustainable amounts is working for me.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I've done a few...they all worked to drop the weight, but not to keep it off. Reason they tend not to work long term is that they are something your start and then stop at some point...i.e. they're not a diet (noun), they're a diet (verb).

You also don't generally learn about how many calories your body actually needs...calories in/out...portion control...what a serving of something is and looks like, proper nutrition and macro/micro-nutrient content of food, etc. Everything is just sort of handed to you with a fad diet and you're left blowing in the wind when it's all over.

Your diet and fitness profile should be sustainable for life if you want lifetime results, with the only difference between now and maintenance being the number of calories you're consuming...i.e. a deficit now, maintenance later. Equally important, your fitness "lifestyle" should also be something sustainable and should have it's own, independent goals...independent of just calorie burn. You'll be much more likely to stick to a fitness regimen when you have independent fitness goals outside of calorie burn.

To add to this, your diet and fitness profile can and should be flexible. What works for you when you are losing the first 25lbs may need to adjusted to get those last 25lbs off. This includes more than just your calorie intake. You may need to change your macros or meal timing up as well as you go along. This is more of diet (noun) mentality, IMO.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    You'll be much more likely to stick to a fitness regimen when you have independent fitness goals outside of calorie burn.

What is an example of an "independent fitness goal?" Something like: "today I biked 1 mile, tomorrow I'm going to go for 1.5?"
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I did the cabbage soup diet when I was like, 19. It was stupid. And I still can't eat that soup mix to this day. :P

I've done the fruit cleanse. It's actually kind of cool as a cleanse, not as a diet, if you like fruit (which I don't anymore).

My favorite fad diet is the one where I eat a little less and exercise a little more.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I did three days of the Atkins fat fast diet, I finished yesterday. While I lost 7 pounds in those three days, weight loss that quickly was not my aim. I needed to break a plateau and I have done that. Would I recommend it? Only if you really are stuck on a plateau and are prepared to feel really bad days 2-3. I know I will regain some of the weight, but it is usual to have a net loss. I was also deeply into ketosis, which is a very good place to be if like me you eat primal/paleo.

I have done Atkins, but I don't consider that a fad, it worked for me, I changed to primal as it's a way of eating I can sustain for life.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Air Force Diet, Cabbage Soup Diet, Weight Loss Clinic, Slim Fast, Atkins Diet, South Beach Diet, yep all of 'em. With EVERY ONE of them I gained the weight back because they weren't sustainable after the weight loss phase (for me). That's why MFP and eating foods I can live with for the rest of my life, in sustainable amounts is working for me.

Ooo I forgot about South Beach! My Ex years back did this and I joined him. It was also stupid. he had me eating ham and eggs everying morning *vom*
    Is it needless to say I just gained weight while with that guy? LOL!

I also used Slim Fast drinks when I was 18-19. At the time they were making non-dairy ones.
    They were Ok since I was on the go all he time and I got a discount on them, but as a diet... not so much.

I also remember using Dexatrim at that time!
    Holy cats....
    I'd go to work and be like *ZZOOOOMMMM !! DO ALL THE WORK!!!!!*

I could not sustain the pills. Once I stopped them I was so tired. But I eventually figured out that if I just ate smaller meals and drank tons of water I'd be good.

I gained weight back when I starting dating a guy with terrible habits (see previous post of mine Lolz)
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You'll be much more likely to stick to a fitness regimen when you have independent fitness goals outside of calorie burn.

What is an example of an "independent fitness goal?" Something like: "today I biked 1 mile, tomorrow I'm going to go for 1.5?"

Yes. and I agree. I started running last year and I loved the challenge - I never ran at all so when I started the C25K, it was very motivating to reach the mini goals (able to run 2 minutes straight, then 3 minutes, etc.) Now I still run, but I am having trouble being motivated. I can run a 5K, I have no desire to run further, lol. And now I exercise simply because I "have to" if you have an independent goal, it is easier to be motivated and feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of your workout that keeps you going even if the scale isn't budging.

Trying to find a new goal for myself outside of running.

Teresa
  • ssboyd2119
    ssboyd2119 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tried south beach and the dr.phil diet a while back, and my mom has done nutrisystem. I would not suggest doing a fad diet at all. As soon as you go back to eating normally you WILL gain everything back..
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    Not a fad diet, just stupidity, but in highschool I ate fat free pringles and junior mints for lunch for a few months. I lost weight, then went on vacation and gained it all back.
    My mom tried every fad ever and watching her made me never want to do any of them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If so, what did you try and what was your experience? Were you able to keep it up long-term?

Yup, did primal.

It was ok, just not sustainable as a lifestyle, some grains have a lot of value. I was also turned off by the community surrounding it, lots of fake science and bacon worship, which was super odd to me.

I did feel good, but got tired quickly when working out, so I've added prudent use of grains and don't really get as tired ever, and I'm nicer to be around.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I tried the MILITARY DIET and it worked gr8t; however, after going "off" the military diet, I gained the weight back :)