Half-Marathon: Wondering if I can do it

Options
Linli_Anne
Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
I want to run a half-marathon. I had originally set my goal race for the Manitoba Half-Marathon on Father's day 2014, but I'm finding that I'm doing really well with my runs, and am thinking about upping the goal race to one that will be this October instead.

I currently run 3 days a week. Sunday is my long slow run, my furthest distance has been 12 KM, with a time of 1:21:47, average pace 6:50 min/km and average speed of 8.8 kph. On these runs I try to run 10 minutes, walk for 1 minute. The other 2 days of the week I do shorter distances, full running averaging with a pace of 6:21 min/km and average speed of 9.4 kph.

Given how my running is going, and that there is 5.5 months until the half-marathon in October, am I being realistic with my goal to do the half-marathon?

Can anyone give me some good articles/websites to read with tips on training, including proper nutrition etc.

For now I am just interested in completing my first half-marathon, not overly concerned with time, although the competitor in me would like to squeek in under 3 hours.

Would also love other tips/tricks/techniques from seasoned runners!

Cheers :-)

Replies

• pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Honestly with that much time you could train from where you are to a full :) I spent 12 weeks going from 5k distance to a half marathon finish last month and I am running 2 more this month. I have a Full in mind for October. Go take a look at Hal Higdon's beginner half marathon plan, it will get you there.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Off to check that out, Thanks!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Here is probably the best thing that any distance runner could read by one of the greatest running coaches ever.

Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf

In addition to training Olympic athletic to win the Gold he trained several 50+ year old heart attack survivors to run sub 4 hour marathons. His method works.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you could totally reach your goal of doing a half this year easily. I too trained for my first 1/2 following Hal Higdon's plan.