Where should I be measuring my waist?

sassyg
sassyg Posts: 393
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been taking it around my belly button, cos that's where my pants mainly sit, so I figured that was my waist! But when I look at pictures of people, their narrowest point is somewhat higher than belly button level.

Taking it in the same place each time I check, so I'm gettng consistent results and seeing some movement, but I'm wondering more for a "heart healthy waist" perspective.

Also for hips, for a waist-to-hips ratio, where is "hips" - is that right on the hip bone? I see it sometimes described as "the fullest part of the seat" which to me means more around my bum...

maybe I'm just a weird shape LOL

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    10350.jpg
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I measure at my belly button, cuz that appears to be my narrowest point.
  • sassyg
    OK so bellybutton = waist? that's roughly where I'm taking waist from, so cool. i must just be eyeballing people wrong ; )

So if my widest point is anywhere near where that image shows, should i still be measuring there, or should i measure my widest point?

It's much much higher, I guess halfway between that tape and that waist tape.

I have quite a small butt for my overall size, iygwim. My widest point is more just below the top of my hipbone. I have a big flabby tummy following 2 kids in 12 months, and it's where it kinda 'hangs' that my widest point is. I guess, it's like I have a muffin top from wearing hipster jeans, but without anything on? Sorry, probably not something you want to be imaging, but I can't think how else to explain. Maybe I should get a picture when I get home this afternoon.
    Now, that's probably not truly my hips, but its not my waist either, which is where I'm getting confuzzled.

Maybe I should just not worry about measurements for ratio until I've gotten rid of the hang?
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    I don't know the heart-healthy answer to the hip measurement. I measure more for my own records and actually measure both my hips (hip-bone) and around the widest part of my bum.

As for the waist, issue, it really depends on how you're built. My bellybutton is nowhere near as high as that image that was posted. The narrowest part of my torso is actually right below where my ribs end, a good 3 inches above my bellybutton.. Just do what works for your body.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    10350.jpg

thanks - very helpful!

My measurements might change now but now I have a new baseline.
  • sassyg
    I don't know the heart-healthy answer to the hip measurement. I measure more for my own records and actually measure both my hips (hip-bone) and around the widest part of my bum.

As for the waist, issue, it really depends on how you're built. My bellybutton is nowhere near as high as that image that was posted. The narrowest part of my torso is actually right below where my ribs end, a good 3 inches above my bellybutton.. Just do what works for your body.

my bellybutton and the top of my hipbones are pretty much on the same line!:huh:

I wonder, if when one has a very flat taut tummy like that, if the bellybutton doesn't Lift" to that level... Then again, I'm sure that picture doesn't have little picture-children running around either LOL

I think I'll get a photo later today - and maybe them someone can draw some lines on it for me
    Would be nice to have a "before" type photo in any case
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    my bellybutton and the top of my hipbones are pretty much on the same line!:huh:

I wonder, if when one has a very flat taut tummy like that, if the bellybutton doesn't Lift" to that level... Then again, I'm sure that picture doesn't have little picture-children running around either LOL

I think I'll get a photo later today - and maybe them someone can draw some lines on it for me
    Would be nice to have a "before" type photo in any case

Yeah my belly button is much lower than the photo so just use the smallest part of your waist (probably a bit under the ribs). I'm sure belly buttons can be found in many locations and not necessarily at the waist line. As for hips, I slide the measuring tape under the flap (2 c-sections here).
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Ugh.... for real? My bellybutton is a good distance away from where I've been measuring. I always thought your waist was your narrowest point, and that, for me, is a good inch to two inches higher than my bellybutton. If not, I am much more apple shaped than I ever thought.
This discussion has been closed.