Chicken in Foil?

Options
jnikitow
jnikitow Posts: 334
We are going camping next weekend for Memorial Day. I have to cook dinner for about 13 people. I have heard of cooking chicken breast with veggies and potatoes in aluminum foil right on the campfire.

Can anyone give me some direction on this? This is my first time really camping. I know for my husband and son, the only veggies they really like are broccoli and cauliflower, so can I use those and do I use frozen?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• GRose
    GRose Posts: 69
    Options
    I've heard of this also but don't know how to do it.

Love your photo!!!
  • amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    I do this a lot, but if you decide to do it all in one packet, it sometimes will end up a bit soggy from the chicken juices. I like to do different packets, like a packet of potatoes, a packet of chicken, then veggies. the veggies I use are fresh, if you use frozen, there will be more juice. Hope this helps.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I did this with girlscouts and it was a disaster. So some helpful hints:

If it were me I would prepare them beforehand and have a cooler just for them.

Cut the chicken in 1 inch cubes or smaller, as do the veggies.

Potatoes take a long time to cook (this is where we ran into a huge problem) so either don't use potatoes, or pre boil cut up cubes.

Make sure the packets are as flat as possible and the openings are up top.

Don't add any fluid because the chicken will provide the moisture for you.

Be careful when removing them from the fire as the juice runs out and can be scalding hot.

Corn on the cob can be cooked right in the husks if you soak them over night it is even better. On the GS trip we took a cob and cut it in 4s and placed 1 in each packet

It was a lot of fun and delicious to eat!!!