Best way to carry water when running.

Options
Hello, runners. I know the different methods used to carry water during runs, but I would love to hear what works for you. I have decided I MUST carry water while I run (I live in a high heat/humidity area) but I don't want to invest too much money until I do the research and find out what works. My runs are usually less than 10 miles.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    camelback
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I used to just drive out and stash a water bottle or two along my route (I usually do an out and back, so I hit one twice).
    I have since bought a Nike fuel belt and am happy with that. I find it comfortable.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I bought a fanny-pack type carrier. It holds a single sports bottle, but also has a couple of zippered pockets for gels/money/cards/keys etc.
  • dbiggs
    dbiggs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This seems to be one of the more costly options. I hadn't previously considered it because my runs are short enough that I only need 8-16 oz of water.
  • dbiggs
    Options
    I was surprised how many of my friends hid water along their route.
  • dbiggs
    Options
    The fanny pack is the direction I'm leaning towards.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This seems to be one of the more costly options. I hadn't previously considered it because my runs are short enough that I only need 8-16 oz of water.

I bought my NIke belt at Winners for like $20. I have seen expensive ones though.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use an amphipod water bottle - so I hold it. I think I paid maybe $20 for it at our local running store. It has a nice shape to it and the handle - so I'm not holding it too tight if I was holding a regular water bottle.

I'm not a fan of running with anything around my waist, so I hold it. It also has a little zipper pouch that could hold a key but I use it for my jelly beans for the long runs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    For anything 16 miles and under, my stomach. :wink:
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I use an amphipod water bottle - so I hold it. I think I paid maybe $20 for it at our local running store. It has a nice shape to it and the handle - so I'm not holding it too tight if I was holding a regular water bottle.

I'm not a fan of running with anything around my waist, so I hold it. It also has a little zipper pouch that could hold a key but I use it for my jelly beans for the long runs.

This is what I do. I think the belts hold more but stuff like that rides up on me no matter what. So I'm happy with the bottle.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I like camelback because the sloshing of the half empty bottle bothers me on a fanny pack. Camelbacks shrink as the water goes out of them, so there is little or no sloshing around. IMO, it's worth the investment.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    camelback....or you could do it like this with big water jugs instead...

1307620002_carrying_2_men.gif