Fear of exercising in a gym after hiatus

MsSarahJoy
MsSarahJoy Posts: 2
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, so.... it's been awhile since I've been to the gym, and I'd like to workout with my partner, but I'm nervous about everything. The equipment, how I look, etc.

Any tips on overcoming that first two weeks of working out with someone?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    What do YOU think when you see someone working out at the gym?

I think a few things, but none of them are negative. I realized that is the same thing others think about me!!

:flowerforyou:
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Everyone is at a gym to improve themselves.

Focus on your partner and don't worry about anyone else around you. Think about why you are there and what you want to achieve, everyone else will soon fade into the background if you get yourself focused.

And just think. Keep it up and in a few months you'll feel great!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    just get in the gym and start working out! if you are still worried about how you look or what other think of you, then you aren't working out hard enough! If turning the work out up a notch isn't working just visualize yourself after a few months of quality gym work outs...it will be worth it! Good luck

Also, do not be intimidated of the free weights section where the 'roid using men usually congregate...free weights are among the best equiptment in a gym and you should use them! If you get overwhelmed...just make sure you work out your large muscle groups in pairs: chest/back, quads/hamstrings, biceps/triceps, abs/lower back and your shoulders and abs. Hitting those groups in that order will make a killer work out!
  • troyn123
    troyn123 Posts: 4
    I'll second the general sentiment: Don't worry about what other people might be thinking, everyone at the gym is there to improve themselves. Once you get going to the gym, it's much easier to keep going!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    I thought this topic was "Fear of exercising in a gym after haircut" and I thought... "cool, there must be an awesome phobia-word to describe that!"

I'm a little disappointed, to be honest, but since I'm now replying, here's what I think about the actual topic: don't worry about it.

When I'm at the gym, I always look at everyone else (actually, this isn't restricted to being at the gym, I always wonder what its like to be other people, and what they're thinking about... but stick to the point). I've never looked at someone and though, "gee, how hopeless that person is... look at that, they can't even run on the treadmill, or lift serious weights..." The only machine that regularly inspires negative thoughts about other people is the rowing machine (most people use this incorrectly, and put their back at risk... I've never even seen a trainer who uses those safely unless they're actually a rower)

Actually, its the opposite. If I see someone with really bad form, it reminds me of when I used to avoid the gym because I didn't know what I was doing, and I will them to improve. If they're really bad and putting themselves at risk, I sometimes interrupt them as politely as possible and point out how they can do it better.

If you really need help overcoming this, then remember this. No one ever died of embarrassment. Heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer... all related to obesity or over-weightedness. Obesity is set to overtake smoking as the leading cause of death in the US. In 2000, FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND Americans died due to obesity. That was 10 years ago. Its gone up.

If you need help using the machines, just go up to the trainer and say this, "Hi... I just joined this gym (or I haven't been to the gym for a while) and I wonder if you or one of the trainers could give me a tour and show me how the equipment works."

They get paid because people are members of their gym. They want you to come back. They're happy to help.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    When I decided to increase the intensity of weight lifting/ try new exercises I you-tubed demos on how to do different things so I would feel confident attempting them at the gym and making sure I was doing things correctly. It definitely helped!!
  • tairui2009
    tairui2009 Posts: 37 Member
    Just do your best and focus on YOU! Things will probably feel a little awkward, but you may be surprised in that things come back much quicker ~ muscles have a keen sense of memory. :-)

You'll be fine!
This discussion has been closed.