Fresh vs Canned Mushrooms

Options
I love mushrooms... and while I do prefer fresh, sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach or fridge and the fresh ones go bad before I can use them up.

I occasionally, but now more so often, have used the canned mushrooms, a whole can (2 servings) is 40 calories, but 780 grams of sodium!!!

I seem to very sensitive to sodium anyway, but I do thoroughly drain and rinse the canned ones, repeatedly, with fresh water, before I cook them.

Just for my own peace of mind, do you think this removes much, if any, of the sodium??? (the rinsing)

Thanks in advance for replies...

Replies

• leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Im sure folks with far more knowledge about this will chime in but I would think it would certainly help, how much I just do not know. Here is what I do know....mushrooms really absorb moisture that is why you really are not even supposed to wash the fresh ones, just brush them off. The other thing I know is my friend has high blood pressure and her doctor advised her to rinse all of her canned veggies before heating them to remove as much of the sodium as possible.
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I don't buy any canned veggies aside from the mushrooms. But I was tired of throwing out half packages of mushrooms every week, lol.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    When I bring home fresh mushrooms (the only kind I will buy) I put them in a brown paper bag in the fridge. They last longer.
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Maybe just buy the loose fresh mushrooms in the produce section rather than the packaged ones?
  • ajennell
    ajennell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Rinsing the caned mushrooms will help remove some of the sodium as the salt is in the water to preserve them,but it won't remove it all. Look in the Asian food isle of your local super market as they tend to carry a larger variety. You can also buy dried mushrooms and soak them in water which will plump them up again, but you'll need to "experiment" to see what works best for you and your tastes.

Good luck.
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I prefer fresh myself, and like you ,always have leftovers. I clean them, slice and throw into a Freezerbag. and freeze them. They can be taken out by the Handful no need to thaw all , and you can add to other meals as needed. I use those for my Spagettie Sauce or Omletts, Pizza or in casseroles.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I love canned mushrooms. I eat them all the time! I do not rinse mine but I do drink tons of extra water when I have them and I had lemon to my water it is a natural diuretic and helps a lot! I can tell because if I do not have the lemon water my feet and fingers get puffy LOL!! enjoy your mushrooms just drink up your lemon water!!!!
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, I am definately going to try them all!!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    how are you storing your mushrooms?

I keep mine in the fridge in a paper bag and they stay good for at least 10 days.

You don't want to store them in plastic (bag/tupperware/etc) as they'll go slimy