Protein Shakes whilst losing weight

Options
Hi guys,

So me and my friend got into a debate today about the benefits and disadvantages of using protein shakes.

I'm 6ft 2, currently weigh 240 pounds (I'm ashamed to say) and I'm doing my best to lose weight. I'm going to the gym 6 days a week, 3 days in a row, in the mornings before work. 1 day I do a chest and arms day, the next I do interval cardio for an hour or so, next day I do legs, back and shoulders.

Now I normally consume about, 15-20g of protein a day through food, but I also drink Protein shakes after my work out and during dinner so I can repair my muscles and just get a big of extra protein in general. Will this help or hinder my weight loss progress?

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories, you should be fine. However, why rely so heavily on protein shakes for your source of protein? 15-20 grams per day through food seems really, really low. I've gotten in 125 today (counting my as of yet uneaten dinner). I did have a protein shake before I worked out because I was ravenous this morning, so take that out, and I'm still at 100 through food alone. if I was you, I'd try to get more protein in through food. But, protein shakes, so long as they fit into your calories, shouldn't hurt weight loss efforts.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Post workout is a great time to down some protein. Whether your protein comes in a powder form or solid form is immaterial. The solid option tends to be more filling, but its more about what fits for you. Post workout is also a good time to down a bit of starch since your glucose levels drop during intense workouts.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will impede your weight loss so long as you aren't having it with whole milk three times a day and going over calories by not budgeting them correctly.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot about them,but I don't think you should have them with dinner. I used to do that and gained a LOT of weight. I would think that it could be coincidence, but I'm not the only person I know that it has happened to. If I have a really great workout, sometimes I will have a protein shake or 8oz of low fat chocolate milk. I know a few people who are really hardcore about their workouts and they drink muscle milk after a workout. The only other time I have protein shakes, is as a meal substitute. If I'm in a hurry of the morning, or I want a mid day snack, I will have 8oz of coffee mixed with chocolate protein powder..no sugar or creamer....and maybe a banana on the side. It's also great if you blend it together and chill it. Also, I only use Whey protein. The research that I have done on it says that Soy protein is more of a fad than of any actual use and suggests whey protein as meal substitutes for weight loss. Hope that helps some.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys - In regards to whether or not I have my protein shakes with milk, I don't. I have them with water. I use http://www.maxishop.com/maximuscle/high-protein/promax
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've lost 58 pounds and always get in a lot of protein. Whether through food or shakes. For my strength training I always have a shake. 200 calories at a time for 22G's of Protein (BSN protein). I fit it into my calories though....

I'm also a runner (120-150 miles a month), so I use a pre-workout before running (NO Xplode, or 1MR-- also with strength training), and usually prefuel before long runs with gatorade and banana. Still... protein after the more demanding runs.