Viibryd - treatment for depression

Options
I am going through some major life changes right now (divorce) and have been to my doctor for some depression treatment. He put me on Viibryd. Since starting the medication 2 weeks ago I have gained 4 lbs. Has anyone else had trouble with gaining weight or losing weight while being on a depression medication? What was your solution? What can I do?

Replies

• eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would really love some input on this.....bump
  • Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I put on lots of weight when I was on Citalopram, but I'm not sure if it was really the drugs themselves, or whether they just made me worry less about eating, if you see what I mean. I think it maybe made me lose weight a bit more slowly when I was really trying, but otherwise, I suspect if was down to my lack of discipline.

If you are being really good about logging and exercising, and things don't change over the next month, maybe go back to the Dr and ask?
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was just switched from Lexapro to Viibryd a little over 2 weeks ago, because it seemed like the Lexapro quit working. I was on it for over 2 months. I actually lost 10lbs while I was on the Lexapro. I am worried about gaining the weight back and not being able to lose any more while on the Viibryd. I have been staying under calories for the most part. I hate going through this. Just one more thing to worry about.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    With the divorce and depression it is really hard to also fit in counting calories and such. Personally, I would focus on you mental health and getting in some exercise. For food, I would just try to maintain a good caloric intake and not reduce. The exercise and balanced meals with protiens and reduced sugars help balance the chemicals in the body and help you feel better. Don't worry about weight or such at this point, but keep doing little things for now. Once you have other things cleared up you might jump in with both feet.

All the best hun!
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I was put on Viibryd, I was specifically told that it would NOT cause weight gain and had very few of the other side effects common in most antidepressants. That being said, all people are different and react differently to medication. Perhaps it isn't so much the new medicine as your body reacting to the stress of you current situation? More importantly, does the Viibryd seem to be helping better than the Lexapro was? Viibryd actually can be given up to a pretty hefty dose (I personally take 40 mg, my life is crazy lol). What dosage did the doctor start you at?

As to how to counter the weight gain... there really isn't much I can think of to do to counter the side-effects besides better diet and more exercise. What is your daily calorie allowance, and how long have you been at that level? Perhaps you need to adjust that for a little bit to kick your body back into gear!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on Viibryd for migraines and she is finding that it is increasing her hunger pangs. She's loading up on protein at her meal to see if it helps.

I hear you about medication side effects. My own has a slew of them. Keep in talks with your doctor. I hope things look up soon.
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ooh the reference to "hunger pangs" made me think about one thing... that medication can cause nausea and such and is typically begun over increments... I remember that I was eating more often because my stomach felt "off" all the time and food seemed to help. It is supposed to be taken with food, but even with that my stomach felt gross for a while afterward.
  • Danagirl28
    Danagirl28 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, and don't pretend to be. With that said, I do have a SIGNIFICANT history of depression and anxiety, and I have also worked with a lot of people who have it. What I have heard / learned: Wellbutrin and Zoloft can both help curb cravings (as in smoking, drinking, etc) and can have that effect on food as well. This doesn't mean you'll lose weight, and it shouldn't be used as a dietary aid. However, it can help increase you energy level, making you feel like being more active, and making you sit around eating less, which can, in turn, help you lose weight... does that make any sense? :-)
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Some do and some don't. This is totally individual though. One person may not gain and someone on the same meds will gain.

I've been on Viibryd for over a year and haven't gained any weight from it.

Stay away from Seroquel. That one is bad for giving you sugar cravings. I was on it and gained 65 pounds over night. I ate only things full of sugar and honestly could have sat in the floor with a five pound bag of sugar and a spoon. The cravings were so intense I couldn't fight them off.
  • UTGraduate
    UTGraduate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am taking just 10mg of Viibryd. Been on it for about 3 months. My libido is now non-existent and I gained 10 pounds. Just started MFP and a gym last week. Fingers crossed....
  • Brzazowsky
    Brzazowsky Posts: 24
    Options
    I don't know if it was the medication but as soon as I started taking Zoloft, I gained weight quickly but it also could have been before I started taking it I had so much anxiety I couldn't eat or I was never hungry.