Do you eat anything before your workout in the morning?

Options
Basically what the title of this post says - if you are a morning exerciser, do you eat anything before your workout? If yes, what and how long do you wait before you start exercising?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Generally no, but if I'm hungry I will. I'm also experimenting to see if eating a little helps me on my run day sand/or helps me be less hungry throughout the day. It might be a packet of oatmeal or just a protein shake, I've only been doing this experiment awhile. I try to wait at least 20 minutes, and I make sure it's light, I don't workout well with a full stomach.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I can't handle solids before my morning runs. I do need coffee because it helps with my lung issues, I have asthma. I've been making green smoothies in my vitamix before running (if I'm going out for 8 -13 miles, for less it isn't necessary). It is hard to have enough time before a run to drink a smoothie and a coffee, so ive been making coffee green smoothies. This is definitely keeping me from getting fatigued at mile 9.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like to have a really strong mug of coffee with 30-40 grams of rapidly absorbed carbohydrates in the form of fruit juice, dried medjool dates, or 2 tablespoons of honey or agave nectar in my coffee. Caffeine stimulates the release of free fatty acids from adipose tissue and the sugar provides energy for working muscles. I wait long enough to use the john as coffee also gets the digestive system moving. Coffee + honey = rocket fuel for me
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,955 Member
    Options
    I work-out at lunch-time....but, I don't eat anything for the entire morning and I weight-lift in a fasted state.

I've (now) been doing this for 7 months and I LOVE IT! I always thought (incorrectly) that I was supposed to "fuel" my work-outs. Now I know that, for me, being in a fasted-state gives me WAY better results!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Nope. I roll out of bed, change into my workout clothes and then go straight down to my basement and get at it!
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I usually don't. I don't work out as well if my stomach is even the slightest bit full, which is one of the main reasons why I prefer working out in the morning in the first place. However, on the weekends, if my workout is a bit later (approx. 10 am rather than 5:30 am), I'll sometimes have a Kind bar or a couple pieces of string cheese.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not most of the time. If I'm hungry it's 1/2 banana, and some G2 gatorade 20 minutes prior.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I typically have an apple pre morning workout then have a protein shake on my way to work.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I roll out of bed, have a small glass of water and work out....then shower...then pig out for breakfast after
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    No I never do if I do an early workout. If it was later I might have a banana with pb and wait at least 45 min.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder mixed with my coffee.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Green tea, water.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Usually just coffee. If I wake up hungry I will have a protein drink. :smile:
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I don't beforehad and thats if Im doing cardio or lifting. I eat straight after....usually protein like hardboiled eggs
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I used to train with food in my stomach then when I went on Intermittent Fasting.. I really liked working out on an empty stomach. I've gone back to eating fairly fast digesting foods like whey, bananas, protein bars before a strength workout, but train cardio days fasted.
  • minnndymae
    minnndymae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't handle solids before my morning runs. I do need coffee because it helps with my lung issues, I have asthma. I've been making green smoothies in my vitamix before running (if I'm going out for 8 -13 miles, for less it isn't necessary). It is hard to have enough time before a run to drink a smoothie and a coffee, so ive been making coffee green smoothies. This is definitely keeping me from getting fatigued at mile 9.

I have to ask, how do you make "coffee green smoothies"?? & do they taste good??! Sounds right up my alley...
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Coffee, some water during and then a protein shake after.
  • codagene
    codagene Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Usually no but if I do it is no more than a cup of Greek Yogurt.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My morning workouts are runs any other workout waits until much later in the day. If it's a race I'll have a banana (or maybe just half a banana) and coffee.

If it's a longer run, then I'll put steel cut oats and some dried fruit in a crock pot over night and have a bowl of it and coffee before heading out to run.

Always coffee though otherwise I might not remember where I'm going, what I'm doing or even my name. Thank god for coffee.