Exercise and Appetite

Options
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone find that when you work out your appettite decreases? In the past I have always found that I'm completely famished but this time I seem to be ok and finding that I'm not even that hungry after working out

I've always been the kind of person that will exercise like a mad woman but not really watch food so I'm trying to do it the other way around, focus on food and sticking to cals and exercising every day.

Thnks

Replies

• avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Depends on the kind of exercise.

Swimming makes me really hungry, specifically for carbs.

If I only do weights,I'm not so hungry that day.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I find Im quite hungry after working out but it doesnt carry on for the rest of the day. I satisfy my hunger straight after working out.

There will be the odd day after lifting though that I will eat all day, so hungry but it doesnt happen after every lifting day
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Running long distance (over 10 miles) makes me ravenous. Two weekends ago I ran 11.5 miles and scarfed down 800 calories in like 10 minutes when I was done (but I burned 1500). :)

Weight training does not do that to me, however,
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If I exercise in the morning before work, then I find I'm not particularly hungry the rest of the day, but if I exercise after work, then when I get home I'm famished.

I've often wondered if it's really in my head-- that is, when I work out in the morning and then go straight to work, I've got things to do and stuff to attend to that keeps my mind off food. But if I head straight home after working out,, then the only thing on my brain is WHAT CAN I EAT?!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I say if you aren't hungry after weight training, you probably aren't' lifting enough. I am ravenous post weight training. But this is just my experience. Technically, you should be hungry after all exercise considering it increase your metabolic rate, which should signal for additional calories.