so confused about pistachios!

Options
Hi! So I just diligently counted out 49 pistachios, as I read that was about a 1 oz serving (and 160 calories at approx 3 calories per nut). However, when I weighed them (in shell), it came out to 2 oz.

Is the 1 oz serving size for in shell or just the teeny green nuts themselves? All over i've read that calorie counts are for IN shell, but no way are there 49 shells in 1 oz...more like 25!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    i think it is for shelled but i could be wrong...without the shell.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    It's shelled.I was confused too when I was on a pistachio kick so I checked a couple different calorie counters.
  • eliz229
    eliz229 Posts: 6
    Options
    whoops! i guess just ate 320 calories then. shame on all the websites that clearly state 1oz yields 49 kernels!

still a bit confused though...isnt a kernel about 3.2 calories? if i ate 49 of them, its about 160 calories...something isnt right!
  • avababy05
    Options
    49 is about 160 calories,That is correct.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    shelled means "out of the shell" I think that's where you're getting confused.
  • eliz229
    Options
    so riddle me this! the pistachios were in an unmarked "snack bag" from Fresh Direct (the grocery delivery service for those who dont know.)

Upon looking at the nutrition info on their website, it says these two ounce bags each contain two servings, and each serving is 170 calories...so now the bag is supposedly 340 calories...yet it only contained those 49 nuts..

Blargh! What do we think???
  • avababy05
    Options
    so riddle me this! the pistachios were in an unmarked "snack bag" from Fresh Direct (the grocery delivery service for those who dont know.)

Upon looking at the nutrition info on their website, it says these two ounce bags each contain two servings, and each serving is 170 calories...so now the bag is supposedly 340 calories...yet it only contained those 49 nuts..

Blargh! What do we think???

I think it's wrong
  • lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 367
    Options
    Mufas. :)
  • avababy05
    Options
    approximatly 1/4 cup or roughly 49 pistachios is 160-170 calories.

Per Wonderfull pistachio company website and the database here,

That's without shells.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    All I know about pistachios is that famous people eat them. BOOM.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine a shell that you don't eat counting
  • eliz229
    Options
    https://www.freshdirect.com/product.jsp?productId=gro_fdsnk_rstsltpstc&catId=gro_fdsckpks&product_view=nutrition

i am starting to think this is wrong! there were definitely 49 shells in there....i counted!!

so agreed that "2 oz. bag" was about 160ish calories?

:)
  • maggiemoonmsrd
    Options
    1 oz of pistachio kernels (without shells) is about 160 calories

There are about 49 kernels in a 1 oz serving

However, 49 in-shell pistachios will weigh more than an ounce because of the shell. 49 pistachios that are in-shell are still the 160 calories (Assuming you're not eating the shell). Plus, it'll take time to take the shells off, so it might just slow you down for some built-in portion control.

49 in-shell pistachios will measure out to about 1/2 cup.

Hope this clears things up.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    approximatly 1/4 cup or roughly 49 pistachios is 160-170 calories.

Per Wonderfull pistachio company website and the database here,

That's without shells.

Yup. I count out 50 as a snack.
  • BarbaraDodge1
    BarbaraDodge1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    4 calories in salted, 3 calories in unsalted-per shelled nut
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Y'all need a food scale. :p