Workout Shoes?????

Options
Hello,

I am looking for some good workout shoes. I have no arch, so my feet are very flat and when I stand straight my ankles turn in toward each other. I am currently wearing Nikes and those shoes are heavy. I am looking for a light-weight shoe, along with a planned purchase of Dr. Scholls. I hear Asics are a great brand of workout shoes, but which kind? I prefer men gym shoes because I wear a size 11/11.5 in womens. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Thanks!

Replies

• ObjectInMotion
    Options
    I went through the shoe thing recently too. I would find a running store in your area if at all possible and get fitted for a shoe. I bought shoes online for a high arch and did all the research. It turns out those shoes were giving me hip/knee issues and when I was fitted, not only did I need a shoe for a high arch, but I had a pronation issue that needed correcting. I would have never known shoes can make that much of a difference but they do and a proper fit and analysis is important. Side note, I'm not a runner and am getting back into the workout game so I think it's vital for all fitness levels.
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    if you're a runner, i suggest browsing through Nike stores.
    i know the legit Nike stores in the cities are probably very expensive and not worth the money if you're just a relaxed, not-training-for-the-next-Olympics exerciser.

i suggest going to the outlet malls and buying some quality nike shoes though.
    i bought nike air for about 55 dollars in chicago. it was a good deal, it was on sale.
    the shoes feel fantastic and they're perfect for running.

but adidas and reebok are fine as well. i've just never had experience with these brands so i tend to stick with Nike.
  • carlielove
    carlielove Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike Free Run, and they're extremely lightweight, I think they're great for running. I think it depends on what kind of workouts you do though! :)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I like New Balance, and the ones that I got are ridiculously lightweight.

Anyway, what's more important is the TYPE of cushioning on your shoes rather than the brand. Since you have flat feet you're very likely to be an overpronator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pODcT55_7zA

Since your workout will very likely involve a lot of cardio on the treadmill (it better be!), you'll want a running shoe. Based on your type of feet, you want "stability" shoes. There are online athletic shoe stores where you can search for that type specifically.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I also have flat feet. You need a stability shoe with a good orthotic arch support. Custom are best but can be very expensive. A good athletic or running store will have a selection of arch supports for you to choose from
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I second going to a running store and getting fitted! I have a very good friend who is a runner with one foot that has a decent arch, and the other foot is flat. As you can imagine, that's pretty difficult to manage! She said they fitted her wonderfully! The first time she went back after 2 weeks and they let her exchange the shoes she had been wearing/running in and get new ones that haven't had a flaw since! Other than that, she likes Asics.

I bought a pair of Avia for $20 in Boscov's and they are SO COMFY. I have back issues and I have zero back pain on my feet all day in them working 2 jobs. I also have a 2nd pair of Avia's that I use for long walks with my dog and they are also very comfy. For the gym, I have this pair of Adidas running shoes that I bought in 08 and have kept meticulously perfect, lol. They don't make them anymore. Oh, I should specify the Avia's I bought were both running shoes!
  • TheBigCoorsLight
    TheBigCoorsLight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find Asics to be the best shoes for me. I ran cross country in high school so when I run, it is always over long distances. The Asics are always comfortable & as long as I only do my running in them, they last a good 8-9 months. I'm currently using some Asics Gel-Nimbus 14 in neon yellow:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H36N3W/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Overall, great shoes!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm an Asics fan. This is great advice |
    |
    |
    V

"Since your workout will very likely involve a lot of cardio on the treadmill (it better be!), you'll want a running shoe. Based on your type of feet, you want "stability" shoes. There are online athletic shoe stores where you can search for that type specifically.
    [/quote]"

I overpronate and find that a stability shoe is very helpful. A running shoe is generally lightweight. The best thing to do is get in to a running store and have them watch you run. Very knowledgeable people who want to sell you shoes, yes, but they want to sell you the right shoe because they want you to come back!

HTH,
    ~Curly
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    sketchers go walk are really light. I wear the slip on ones cause socks bother me but they make a normal shoe type of it also (with laces and the works).