Taking whey protein shakes while doing mostly cardio?

Options
ashleyrg
ashleyrg Posts: 85 Member
My goal is too gain muscle along with loosing weight in the end.

I have just started my 60 day challenge and back onto logging my foods and have came across the question of taking whey protein while doing cardio and a bit of weights. At Goodlife they have the "20 min circuit" while i switch it up daily with what muscle i will be working out, so usually two machines a day with doing 3 sets and increasing it each week. I workout 5 times a week and usually focusing on intense cardio and a few weights like i have stated.

My questions is will this help with loosing fat while building muscle? Will it be pointless if im just doing intense cardio and not much weights?

Advice please :)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It's just protein and if you needs some then fine, use whey. Personally when someone is a deficit I would suggest whole food that comes with many other nutrients, (micro) that we need when we're reducing and delivering less nutrition to the body due to deficit's, but that's just my slant on it. Anyway, your probably not going to build much actual muscle fiber in deficit, but extra protein will help maintain the muscle you do have, when again were deliberately forcing the body to find the amino acids from protein for function and repair and from any source it can, and if we don't it will take it from our muscle, organs and bone.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    When you are doing cardio, you are still using muscle, and burning fat. So of course you would want to have as much protein as you can get to repair those muscles, even though you arent lifting weights. Just make sure you are always doing a combination of strength training and cardio if you want to lose the weight (which by your picture it doesnt seem like you have a lot to lose), and gain muscle.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat--circuits 2x a week and running 3x. It may be a good idea to have that whey drink because you do want to preserve that muscle mass while on a cut, and protein helps with that. The drink also helps with reducing muscle soreness, I've found--I mix it with a little coconut juice and water, or Gatorade and water (the coconut juice is a better source of potassium). Good luck!
  • ashleyrg
    ashleyrg Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help :)
  • cpingriff
    cpingriff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am Looking to start using Whey protein I have ordered some anyone have any advise?? I am looking to lose weight - 172lbs to be precise I go to the gym 3 times a week currently and walk on the other days. I have lost 22lbs since the start of the year currently without it.

Cheers :)