high protein low carb

Options
Is anyone doing the high protein low carb plan? I have been doing it since October and lost 70 pounds in 6 months. I went back to eating more carbs this past month and now have not lost any weight. Now Im trying to go back to the high protein but would like to add more healthier carbs, does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Replies

• eaaronm24
    eaaronm24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Mac_MFP
    Mac_MFP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mate

G'day. I'm also on the high protein-low-carb approach to weight-loss. I use proteins to build-up my calorie intake and to help with my gym workouts. I'm in week four and I'm down 5kg.

The proteins I use include tuna (very low carb-protein ratio), diet cottage cheese, eggs, chicken breast, meats, fish, dairy etc. My cholesterol has dropped and so have the cm.

I found the information on the following website useful: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php

I hope that is of some use...?

Mac
  • kmbuelna
    kmbuelna Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't forget sweet potatoes, brown rice, and puffed rice cakes. All good complex carbs!
  • marthacandothis
    marthacandothis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are the best sources of carbohydrates. Are you eating plenty of those?
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of veggies for carbs.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's because protein has a higher themic value than carbs. You can lose weight on maintenance just on switching over to an atkins-like approach. You're basically calorie restricting without knowing it.
  • papafondo
    papafondo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same here! I'm shooting for under 100g of total carbs a day, with absolutely no sugars or refined/processed carbs. I get everything from veggies, very little from fruits.

I'm sticking to things like cottage cheese, eggs, tuna, beef, chicken, pork, and peanut butter as sources of protein. Can't really account for any drop in weight yet, but I'll keep you posted.

So far it's been great. I don't crave breads and sugars like I used to, and I feel stronger, more alert, more present and focused.

BTW, congrats on losing 70lbs! Keep it up!

28243614.png
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    brown rice, quinoa, oats, wheatberries, (makes an awesome salad). Indulge in some yummy fruits and vegetables, avocados, have a tomato slice, treat yourself to a banana. But treat the fruit carefully, the carbs will add up fast, but its nice to build them into your maintenance life.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Are you going to eat high protein low carb for the rest of your life ?
    Eat a well balanced clean diet and you will be a lot better off
    45 % protein
    35% carbs
    20% good fats
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's because protein has a higher themic value than carbs. You can lose weight on maintenance just on switching over to an atkins-like approach. You're basically calorie restricting without knowing it.
    Not really. There's a very small thermic difference between carbs and protein, not anywhere near enough of a difference for it to have any kind of impact on overall TEF. You would need to drastically cut carbs, and drastically raise protein without changing fat at all in order to have any effect on TEF at all. The initial weight loss from switching from higher carb to low carb is due to water loss from glycogen depletion, you still need to knowingly cut calories in order to lose fat, regardless of the macro breakdown you choose to follow.
  • Mac_MFP
    Mac_MFP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Loads. It's strange that I'm actually eating more than I was before I started dieting; quality foods instead of rubbish.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I simply get pissed at the amount of calories that carbs take. I always regret it later, because I think of all the other things I could have eaten had I chose low cal carbs such as veggies instead of bread, etc.

I eat tons of hard boiled eggs, egg whites, tuna, salmon, chicken, tilapia, cottage cheese, Fage.

When I want pasta, I eat low GI pastas, or tofu noodles (just be sure to rinse, drain, and dry fry them first).

I eat spinach nearly every day, lots of veggies, fruit- fresh or frozen.
  • esaran
    esaran Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi- I have been doing exactly this kind of diet since 3/28 and have lost 23 pounds so far. There is a great website called lowcarbfriends.com with like 4000 recipes- I found a 3 carb pizza that is to die for!! I am really loving this- I devised my own plan which is a combo of medifast and Atkins- not so extreme and I am really satisfied on it. I don't count cals but I tend to be around 1000 or less per day. Good luck and Keep up the good work!! You have trained your body to burn fat instead of carbs so you have to be careful with the carbs or it will go back to burning them first and that will halt your weight loss progress.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • prettypinksparkles
    Options
    I was reading today that high protien and low carbs for an extended time can be dangerous and can lead to low potassium levels so make sure you are taking a potassium supplement!
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i'm doing that too!!

the only healthy carbs you can eat are the ones that either loaded with a generous - but not overwhelming - amount of fiber.
    whole grains > white/refined grains obviously.
    also choose whole wheat.
    make sure when you buy bread, the first ingredient is wheat flour - NOT enriched wheat flour or anything along those lines.