What do I say?

Options
I started a May Move Your *kitten* Challenge for my Facebook friends and Family, I am hoping it will help and many will join, but two people I want to join so bad is my sister and brother in Texas, they both are obese (he looks to be about 380 and she looks to be about 230-250) and I am so afraid for their health. I msgd my brother and haven't gotten a response yet. But I don't know what to say to my sister, I love her so much but I messed up our relationship in the past because of my stupidity and drugs and alcohol had a lot to do with it. Now she doesn't really think highly of me and I guess it makes me scared to approach her because I don't want her to be like "what are you trying to say, I have a weight problem?" I just don't know what to say.... She is a very, I know more than you kind of person.....

Replies

• soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think you have to wait for them to ask for help. I think if they are not ready, or want to make changes they will take your invite the wrong way. I would rather not push this type of issue especially with the history you have with your sister.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you make it an event and send the event invite to everyone with a standard note like "May Move Your *kitten* Challenge! Friends and Family help me stay motivated in May and lets do this together!" or some other broad type message nobody has to feel singled out. If you make it more about you it may not go over as badly as singling people out.
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you make it an event and send the event invite to everyone with a standard note like "May Move Your *kitten* Challenge! Friends and Family help me stay motivated in May and lets do this together!" or some other broad type message nobody has to feel singled out. If you make it more about you it may not go over as badly as singling people out.

I followed your advice, hopefully it helps and works.... Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think you have to wait for them to ask for help. I think if they are not ready, or want to make changes they will take your invite the wrong way. I would rather not push this type of issue especially with the history you have with your sister.

this!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I followed your advice, hopefully it helps and works.... Thanks

Glad you did this rather than approached her directly. Even the closest of family members might get offended if you singled them out, and if you guys have had issues in the past, I'd be doubly cautious.

People don't not know they are overweight, and they won't change until they want to. Trying to make them before they are ready will just strain the relationship.