swimming

I have never been a really good swimmer but as time goes by I get a little braver and can swim in deep water but I tend to need to have my own space or I can get scared pretty easy.

I can't swim under water due to be scared to death of water going up my nose. I have learned how to blow bubble with my mouth so thinking of getting a nose plug and trying to swim under water. I have actually held my nose with my hand and swam under water but can't go far like that.

I have a heart rate monitor and I am getting a really low burn for it. I was in the pool for 30 minutes and the burn was less than 150 calories. I always thought swimming was a high calorie burn. I tend to swim after already working out in zumba or running.

I feel tired. I feel like I am working hard but it doesn't even seem to raise my heart rate.

As it gets warmer I would like to swim more. Is there any tips on what to do to raise the calorie burn? Would learning how to swim under water make the burn higher?

Replies

• Do you swim breast stroke or front crawl?
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    I swim nearly 4 miles a week and my heart rate doesn't get very high either. Maybe 120 but generally more like 90-100. (my resting is 56-60).
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,762 Member
    Butterfly! Seriously, that stroke is a massive workout, but probably not one for a beginner swimmer.

I would suggest signing up for lessons which will improve your technique, speed and calorie burn, not to mention your confidence in the water.

If you're terrified of water up your nose, try exhaling through you nose while swimming underwater - water can't get in if air's coming out.
  • Schninie
    Schninie Posts: 35 Member
    I have never been a really good swimmer but as time goes by I get a little braver and can swim in deep water but I tend to need to have my own space or I can get scared pretty easy.

I can't swim under water due to be scared to death of water going up my nose. I have learned how to blow bubble with my mouth so thinking of getting a nose plug and trying to swim under water. I have actually held my nose with my hand and swam under water but can't go far like that.

Oh my good god! You have just entered my brain and wrote down exactly how I feel...!!! How did you do that? I totally relate to the first to paragraphs...!!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    I don't get much of a burn swimming. I have to do mine with my 1yo so I end up doing the side stroke.... whatever it's called.

I try to do my serious exercise on dry land and just enjoy my time in the water.