Chronic cardio is forcing your body to kill you

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hey bro, I saw some bro-science.

Is there any scientific data supporting that cardio is forcing our bodies to self destruct?

If not, then it's all BS bro-science, and you should be embarassed for promoting that crap.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Seems like an endorsement for Cultfit to me.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Tl:DR

By the title and assuming its coming from cross fit, I would assume crappy form and dropping on an olympic barbell on your face is a higher risk than cardio.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

Reminds me of~

A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."
    And for plenty of good reasons, since:
    it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
    it is a major component in acid rain
    it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
    accidental inhalation can kill you
    it contributes to erosion
    it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
    it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
    Forty-three (43) said yes,
    six (6) were undecided,
    and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.

Everything can kill us can we move on now? Cool.
  • hpilon27
    hpilon27 Posts: 43
    Options
    I just wasted a couple of minutes of my life reading this crap.

Yep.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I just wasted a couple of minutes of my life reading this crap.

Amen!
  • bluflu2003
    bluflu2003 Posts: 12
    Options
    Interesting that palaeo/primal diet people can get palaeoanthropology so wrong.

It's believed that Homo erectus ran the equivalent of marathons in order to hunt meat. Running/cardio does *NOT* equal being chased by a lion!!!

Here's how homo erectus probably hunted... (some homo sapiens hunter-gatherers hunt this way, only with much more sophisticated weapons, which would mean that Homo erectus would have had to run longer as they only had rocks and pointy sticks as weapons, so would have found it a lot more difficult to inflict an injury on an animal it was hunting from a distance.)

You find a herd of animals, and start chasing one of the weaker ones. It runs away, and you can't catch it because humans can't run fast enough. (and you think if a lion started chasing a human they'd get away? LOL no. A human can't outrun a lion. The best chance it has against a lion is to fight it and kill it with a spear or for the other humans to intervene and throw rocks to chase the lion away). The animal escapes, but Homo erectus can track it down, following footprints and so on... it finds where the animal is hiding/resting, and chases it .... tracks it... chases it... tracks it.. chases it... (alternating jogging and sprinting for hours, in other words...) in modern Homo sapiens hunter-gatherers who have projectile weapons such as throwing spears, bows and arrows etc, this hunt lasts hours and they run the equivalent of a marathon or more. Homo erectus would have had to run longer to compensate for the lack of weapons other than stones and pointy sticks. This kind of hunting in modern hunter-gatherers is done at midday in the intense heat of the savannah, because humans can stay cool much more effectively than other mammals, due to having very little body hair and sweating over the whole body. The animal eventually is chased to the point that it dies of heat exhaustion, while the human has managed to stay cool. Homo erectus lived on the African savannah, so would also probably have hunted at midday.

This explains why humans have much less hair than other mammals and also why we're so good at endurance cardio. The fact we can run marathons is due to this. We evolved as long distance endurance runners and as persistence hunters. The fact that people can continue to do so much cardio while eating very few calories, is because this is how early humans hunted, so the body evolved to carry on doing lots of running even while the body starved (up to a point, because the body can only take so much starvation before breaking down) in the hope that running would lead to finally catching an animal and getting a decent amount of fat and protein to eat.

If there's an increased level of heart disease in people who run marathons and do loads of running, I'd question whether they have accounted for the fact that so many people do so much cardio while not eating properly, and those people are confounding the statistics. Maybe marathon runners should eat meat after they finish, so their body thinks they're succeeding at hunting and not failing.

The idea that "when you run long distances your body thinks you're being chased by a lion" is silly though. A lion would catch a human within a minute. If you're running long distances, your body thinks you're hunting.

^^^ THIS. Amen.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    In response to this topic, I am going to train lions using Crossfit. There will be no escape!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Ask an Olympic marathoner to do a pull up.

Ask a power lifter to run a marathon. Or a gymnast for that matter. Or an Olympic swimmer.

Why can't people just agree there are different types fitness? This shouldn't be a difficult concept considering we're all supposedly individuals. Is a guy who can do one pull up (or even 50 for that matter) but can't jog for more than 5 minutes more fit than someone who can't do any pull ups but runs marathons? Also, I'm curious as to why cardio didn't kill the 70 year old runners who ran in the last 5K I did?
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Maybe marathon runners should eat meat after they finish, so their body thinks they're succeeding at hunting and not failing.

I've seen races where they give you a beer at the end. If they changed that to a beer and a BURGER, I'd run as many races as possible!

Have you seen the Krispie Kreme runs? You eat a dozen donuts in the middle of a 5 mile race.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That article was interesting if only for the idea that people MIGHT NOT need the extreme fitness levels they aspire to today. I have often thought that people who live much of their lives at one extreme (obese), simply go to another extreme (super fit). It's still obsessive behavior....just in another direction.

It all begs the question..."Just how fit does modern man need to be?"
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Something's gotta kill you. Running, crossfit, obesity, whatever. Pick your poison. ;^)

amen, haha
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great sales pitch for crossfit.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    that was f-ing stupid..........
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options

It's believed that Homo erectus ran the equivalent of marathons in order to hunt meat. Running/cardio does *NOT* equal being chased by a lion!!!

Here's how homo erectus probably hunted... (some homo sapiens hunter-gatherers hunt this way, only with much more sophisticated weapons, which would mean that Homo erectus would have had to run longer as they only had rocks and pointy sticks as weapons, so would have found it a lot more difficult to inflict an injury on an animal it was hunting from a distance.)

You find a herd of animals, and start chasing one of the weaker ones. It runs away, and you can't catch it because humans can't run fast enough. (and you think if a lion started chasing a human they'd get away? LOL no. A human can't outrun a lion. The best chance it has against a lion is to fight it and kill it with a spear or for the other humans to intervene and throw rocks to chase the lion away). The animal escapes, but Homo erectus can track it down, following footprints and so on... it finds where the animal is hiding/resting, and chases it .... tracks it... chases it... tracks it.. chases it... (alternating jogging and sprinting for hours, in other words...) in modern Homo sapiens hunter-gatherers who have projectile weapons such as throwing spears, bows and arrows etc, this hunt lasts hours and they run the equivalent of a marathon or more. Homo erectus would have had to run longer to compensate for the lack of weapons other than stones and pointy sticks. This kind of hunting in modern hunter-gatherers is done at midday in the intense heat of the savannah, because humans can stay cool much more effectively than other mammals, due to having very little body hair and sweating over the whole body. The animal eventually is chased to the point that it dies of heat exhaustion, while the human has managed to stay cool. Homo erectus lived on the African savannah, so would also probably have hunted at midday.

This explains why humans have much less hair than other mammals and also why we're so good at endurance cardio. The fact we can run marathons is due to this. We evolved as long distance endurance runners and as persistence hunters. The fact that people can continue to do so much cardio while eating very few calories, is because this is how early humans hunted, so the body evolved to carry on doing lots of running even while the body starved (up to a point, because the body can only take so much starvation before breaking down) in the hope that running would lead to finally catching an animal and getting a decent amount of fat and protein to eat.

If there's an increased level of heart disease in people who run marathons and do loads of running, I'd question whether they have accounted for the fact that so many people do so much cardio while not eating properly, and those people are confounding the statistics. Maybe marathon runners should eat meat after they finish, so their body thinks they're succeeding at hunting and not failing.

The idea that "when you run long distances your body thinks you're being chased by a lion" is silly though. A lion would catch a human within a minute. If you're running long distances, your body thinks you're hunting.

I am not a fan of the whole crossfit thing, but it is pertinent to note: the hunting methodology you describe isn't the only or even the most logical one to have occurred. There was likely alot of sneaking up on prey, of lying in wait for prey, of using snares and traps, of driving prey into an ambush. And historical man would have done alot more load bearing work carrying possession and what not too. None of it is so very cut and dried.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Kill it before it kills you! :wink:

This ^
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    articles like this and posts like this are the reason i find crossfit insufferable
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

*drool*

Your smarts are so sexy!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i am of the opinion that high intensity anything is better than long drawn out steady anything in terms of fat loss. But i don't have any scientific articles or theories to back that up. It's just what I gathered over the last few years obsessing over this shiznit. But i also don't think a long steady state run is gonna kill you either. I want to be strong, powerful, and have endurance like a gazelle...so I lift weights, I do high intensity exercise (xfit style or HIIT), and I run long distances. I also stretch because being able to bend over is important to me.

also, surfing is fun.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    A new groudbreaking study came out today!

It concluded that living is detrimental to your health.

The only cure is obvious.....