Reducing starch while maintaining calories

Hi. I'm currently on. 40/30/30 diet and find it quite difficult to reach my protein goals as the only meat I eat is chicken, however I do manage this by using whey shakes when needed. Around 1300-1400 cals a day, weighing 126lb.

I am going on hols in 6 weeks and would like to lose fat fast, around 7lbs. I've read that cutting carbs/ starch can do this, but what macros should I aim for? And how do I do this without reducing calories too much?(I work out unite intensively so do not want to into starvation mode). Is it just a case of eating loads of chicken?! Lol
Thanks

Replies

• badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Cutting back on carbs DOES help, but it can be tough to maintain. I'm type II diabetic so I have to keep my carb intake down. Ideally I should be eating no more than 120 g of net carbs/day, preferably 30g-15g-30g-15g-30g, three meals and two snacks/day. "Net carbs" means that you can subtract fiber grams from your total carb grams to get to that 120, since fiber is not digested: So if I've eaten 140g carbs in a day, but 20g of that were fiber carbs, I'm okay.

I try to get 100g of protein/day. I add the equivalent of two egg whites to my morning egg, eat more fish (lower in fat, higher in protein for equivalent serving), 99% fat-free turkey breast (I get mine from Costco, but it sounds like you're from GB?) and occasional whey protein shake. When I do have carbs I try to use whole-grain, high protein grains like quinoa. Fat-free yogurt is another good protein source.

If you've done the math (100g protein x 4 cal/g = 400 cal, 120g carbs x 4 cal/g = 480, 400+480 = 880, 1300 - 880 = 420 cal, 420 cal/9 cal/g fat = 46 g fat), you'll realize that this leaves you with a lot of fat grams! Enjoy your avocados...