Spin class advice plz... Thx

Options
2»

Replies

• Liz18492638
    Options
    I didn't like my first class but now I LOVE it. Try and stick it out for at least 2 classes. I don't wear padded shorts or use a padded seat and I've never had comfort issues. It's a hard seat but as long as it's adjusted properly you shouldn't have any major issues. Being a tall water bottle- make sure it's not too wide so it can fit in the drink holder. Bring a sweat towel too!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    All of the replies are awesome and if you follow them you'll have a great time. I would really like to stress that you should go at your own pace for the first class and maybe even the second. I had no idea that it would be such an intense workout so I tried at first to keep up with everyone else and almost didn't make it the whole class. Don't up the resistance as much as she says at first. Take it easy and let your legs work up to it for the first couple of classes. You'll be at full speed in no time!! Oh, and the seats. Can't stress how uncomfortable and painful that seat can be, at least at first, but then it does get better and you don't notice it. I still think about getting a gel seat every now and again, but I'm too lazy to go get one!! lol
  • csch79
    csch79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get your feet firmly strapped into the cages. You don't want your feet to slip off. You will probably see that a lot of people in the class will have bike shoes that let them clip onto the pedals instead of using the cage and strap. I invested in shoes about a month after starting to spin.

There will be a brake on the bike. Usually it is part of the resistance knob and you just pull or press it. If for some reason you need to stop quickly use the brake. Don't just try to use your feet to stop the wheel if you are going fast. I've seen people try it and either hurt themselves or even fall off the bike. Try out the brake before the class starts just so you can see how it works.

The first few minutes will feel pretty easy and you will be tempted to just crank up the resistance as the instructor tells you to. I did this my first spin workout and could not finish. I went too hard too soon. You definitely want to use resistance in the class but don't kill yourself in the first 10 minutes and not be able to finish the entire class. If you like spin it won't take too long before you are cranking it up just like the instructor.
  • cybergaluk
    cybergaluk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I survived lol.
    Thanks soo much for all the great advice it really helped me get through it.
    Got there early and spoke to instructor (he was fab). He sorted out bike seat, moves etc.
    I borrowed a pair of padded shorts and just pedalled my heart out.
    LOVED it...
    Bring on next week for class 2..... xxx
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I survived lol.
    Thanks soo much for all the great advice it really helped me get through it.
    Got there early and spoke to instructor (he was fab). He sorted out bike seat, moves etc.
    I borrowed a pair of padded shorts and just pedalled my heart out.
    LOVED it...
    Bring on next week for class 2..... xxx

let me know how you feel come tomorrow morning