DISAPPEARING FOOD???

Options
I have found what appears to be quite healthy bean curd puffs at my local asian supermarket .. BUT... when adding up all the macros weight seems to disappear, question mark

So the whole thing weighs 180g and says its 106 cal (about 450kJ) and this is the beakdown
Carbs - 1g
Fat - 7g
Sat fat - 1g
Protein - 10g
Which adds up to 18g total....sooooooo...wheres the other 162g??????

Is it just water or something?? Or is the packet lying to me (probably imported) and theres more calories in it than that??

FInd a similar thing with several bean-curd based products at the asian store

Someone please help!!! I want to eat them but am concerned there is more in them then i expect???

Replies

• tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    Awww nobody knows....sad face
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    That's actually 116 calories, and your confusing weight with a caloric value, not the same thing.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm not at all familiar with the product, but the total calories from the nutritional breakdown is approximately equal to the labeled calories. Either the remainder is water or something else with no measurable calories or there is more than one serving in the package.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

So the whole thing weighs 180g and says its 106 cal (about 450kJ) and this is the beakdown
    Carbs - 1g
    Fat - 7g
    Sat fat - 1g
    Protein - 10g

180g total, and 18g per 106 cals....sounds like there are 10 servings per container.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Given that:
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories

Carbs= 4cal
    Fat= 7x9 = 63cal
    Protein= 10x4 = 40cal

That adds up to 107cal so the calorie count is accurate for the nutritional information given.

My guess is the rest is fibre.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Given that:
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories

Carbs= 4cal
    Fat= 7x9 = 63cal
    Protein= 10x4 = 40cal

That adds up to 107cal so the calorie count is accurate for the nutritional information given.

My guess is the rest is fibre.
    Looks like you missed the dreaded 1 g of saturated fat.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I assumed the saturated fat was included under fat
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have found what appears to be quite healthy bean curd puffs at my local asian supermarket .. BUT... when adding up all the macros weight seems to disappear, question mark

Carbs - 1g
    Fat - 7g
    Sat fat - 1g
    Protein - 10g

Is it just water or something?? Or is the packet lying to me (probably imported) and theres more calories in it than that??

FInd a similar thing with several bean-curd based products at the asian store

Someone please help!!! I want to eat them but am concerned there is more in them then i expect???

Because it is made up of more than just carbs, fat and proteins. The product also contains fiber and water (most likely the majority of the weight), just to name a few. What you listed are just the macros that our bodies derive energy from (calories) and they are the default macros tracked on this site since it's purpose is to track calories.

Another good example would be watermelon. Check out what they weigh per serving and you'll see that those macros make up very little of its overall weight. Hope that answered your question (if that's what you were asking).
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    Hahahaha thanks guys....cant believe my maths was so horrible! Quite embarrassing given i studied extension maths and medicine :P

Thanks though!