Low Carbs - 80 to 100?

Options

Replies

• Fleshgodful
    Options
    Just wondering how many carbs are considered as low carbing.
    I just find it so hard to keep to less than 80 a day.

What do you think please?
    In addition, many low-carb diet participants are encouraged to supplement their lack of carbs by consuming almost unlimited amounts of high-fat, cholesterol-laden foods like bacon. It's not a healthy lifestyle.
    Fat and cholesterol aren't bad for you. You need dietary fat and dietary cholesterol doesn't directly affect blood cholesterol.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options

In addition, many low-carb diet participants are encouraged to supplement their lack of carbs by consuming almost unlimited amounts of high-fat, cholesterol-laden foods like bacon. It's not a healthy lifestyle.
    Fat and cholesterol aren't bad for you. You need dietary fat and dietary cholesterol doesn't directly affect blood cholesterol.

http://www.dietscam.org/basic/myths.shtml

"Myth: High-protein/low-carbohydrate diets are a healthy way to lose weight.

Fact: The long-term health effects of a high-protein/low-carbohydrate diet are unknown. But getting most of your daily calories from high-protein foods like meat, eggs, and cheese is not a balanced eating plan. You may be eating too much fat and cholesterol, which may raise heart disease risk. You may be eating too few fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, which may lead to constipation due to lack of dietary fiber. Following a high-protein/low-carbohydrate diet may also make you feel nauseous, tired, and weak.

Eating fewer than 130 grams of carbohydrate a day can lead to the buildup of ketones (partially broken-down fats) in your blood. A buildup of ketones in your blood (called ketosis) can cause your body to produce high levels of uric acid, which is a risk factor for gout (a painful swelling of the joints) and kidney stones. Ketosis may be especially risky for pregnant women and people with diabetes or kidney disease.

Tip: High-protein/low-carbohydrate diets are often low in calories because food choices are strictly limited, so they may cause short-term weight loss. But a reduced-calorie eating plan that includes recommended amounts of carbohydrate, protein, and fat will also allow you to lose weight. By following a balanced eating plan, you will not have to stop eating whole classes of foods, such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables—and miss the key nutrients they contain. You may also find it easier to stick with a diet or eating plan that includes a greater variety of foods."

I realize this is not true in everyone's case as there are some medical reasons for low-carb diets; however for the vast majority of low-carb fad dieters, this isn't the case...they're just after a "qucik-fix."
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Personally, I wouldn't recommend low-carb diets; they all tend to make participants tired and moody. In addition, many low-carb diet participants are encouraged to supplement their lack of carbs by consuming almost unlimited amounts of high-fat, cholesterol-laden foods like bacon. It's not a healthy lifestyle.

Personally, I try to eat between 120g-150g (sometimes more) of carbs/day. I'm pretty active with walking/cycling so I need the fuel.

Actually, weighing 322 pounds made me moody and tired. The blood glucose roller-coaster I was on made me moody and tired.

My macros are set to 20% carbs which is 65 total grams per day. I usually end up between 30-60 total grams carbs (not net) for the day. The majority of my carbs come from vegetables and nuts, with a little dairy thrown in. I avoid grains completely and strictly limit fruits and legumes.

I walk/jog/cycle/use the elliptical/do 3-4 Zumba classes per week/swim and lift, so I make sure to get plenty of fat and moderate protein in my diet for fuel

And my lipid panel is near perfect.

Unhealthy? I sure used to be! Switching to a LC/HF lifestyle has changed that.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I realize this is not true in everyone's case as there are some medical reasons for low-carb diets; however for the vast majority of low-carb fad dieters, this isn't the case...they're just after a "qucik-fix."

People who are after a quick fix are most likely going to fail regardless. I don't understand taking a stand against or for low carb diets for other people. Low carb has been proven to be awesome for some people and terrible for others.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts guys. Lots of info to think about there but I will just add that the reason I am doing low carbs is because my weight has been stalled for nearly two years and when I started this at the beginning of this year I was delighted to find my weight going down at last! ..I can assure you I am def not moody and cranky! ( others might not agree! :wink: )
    Being 78y.o. and Db2 and rather disabled the whole agenda is rather stacked against me.
    As regards the idea that the weight will immediately go back on,,, that can happen when you follow ANY diet regime so I think anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves! I've done the whole caboodle over my many years so I've been there, done that and got the T shirt!! :laugh:
  • Herohorse
    Herohorse Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi! I am following my trad/ alt. med doctor's reccommendation and aiming for 90 grams in a day. That is what she recommends for weight loss. I am not facing any ill effects and I have done it for a few months.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

http://www.dietscam.org/basic/myths.shtml

"Myth: High-protein/low-carbohydrate diets are a healthy way to lose weight.

Fact: The long-term health effects of a high-protein/low-carbohydrate diet are unknown. But getting most of your daily calories from high-protein foods like meat, eggs, and cheese is not a balanced eating plan. You may be eating too much fat and cholesterol, which may raise heart disease risk. You may be eating too few fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, which may lead to constipation due to lack of dietary fiber. Following a high-protein/low-carbohydrate diet may also make you feel nauseous, tired, and weak.

Eating fewer than 130 grams of carbohydrate a day can lead to the buildup of ketones (partially broken-down fats) in your blood. A buildup of ketones in your blood (called ketosis) can cause your body to produce high levels of uric acid, which is a risk factor for gout (a painful swelling of the joints) and kidney stones. Ketosis may be especially risky for pregnant women and people with diabetes or kidney disease.

Tip: High-protein/low-carbohydrate diets are often low in calories because food choices are strictly limited, so they may cause short-term weight loss. But a reduced-calorie eating plan that includes recommended amounts of carbohydrate, protein, and fat will also allow you to lose weight. By following a balanced eating plan, you will not have to stop eating whole classes of foods, such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables—and miss the key nutrients they contain. You may also find it easier to stick with a diet or eating plan that includes a greater variety of foods."

I would classify that as propaganda.:smile:
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think everything depends on the person and their body response. I do low carb because of thyroid issues but it doesn't mean I flood my diet with high fats just replace grains and bread with vegetable carbs and I still eat lean meats.
  • vegemite_girl
    Options
    I do "carb back loading' with great success, basically it means you ear 30g of carbs in the evening for 10 days to 'shock' the body. The 10th day you eat 150gm to 200gm carbs between 6pm and 8pm, you can include a dessert like frozen yoghurt then back to 30g of carbs for 6 days a week the 7th 150gm to 200gm carbs between 6pm and 8pm, then stay on the 6 days of 30g, 7th day150gm to 200gm in the evening.

High vegetables 1 1/2 to 2 cups, no more than the back of my fist size of protein, 1200 calories a day, with HIT and weight training 5 days a week.

Don't eat the first 2 hours of getting up, your body produces HGH (human growth hormone) and a hormone called gherlin during the night which burns fat while you sleep. Eating immediately in the morning, particularly carbs stop this hormone production and therefore interferes with the body burning fat.. Exercise during that 2 hrs and have a breakfast with protein in it at the 2hr mark. I get up at 5am to do this before work.

I have a thyroid problem too, it's the only effective way I've found to lose weight. My husband averages 500gm a day weight loss using this with only cardio for 20min exercise, no weights. I'm building muscle, my loss is not so obvious "dam it!" :) but its coming off steadily.

It's not for everyone but it's what is recommended for people who have 'stubborn' fat from 'yo yo' dieting and for weight lifters whose bodies are confused by 'bulking' and 'leaning' all the time, 'yo yo'ing'.

Eat clean to stay lean :)
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    80-120 seems to be my personal sweet spot. Not for weight loss, but for how I feel.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I do "carb back loading' with great success, basically it means you ear 30g of carbs in the evening for 10 days to 'shock' the body. The 10th day you eat 150gm to 200gm carbs between 6pm and 8pm, you can include a dessert like frozen yoghurt then back to 30g of carbs for 6 days a week the 7th 150gm to 200gm carbs between 6pm and 8pm, then stay on the 6 days of 30g, 7th day150gm to 200gm in the evening.

High vegetables 1 1/2 to 2 cups, no more than the back of my fist size of protein, 1200 calories a day, with HIT and weight training 5 days a week.

Don't eat the first 2 hours of getting up, your body produces HGH (human growth hormone) and a hormone called gherlin during the night which burns fat while you sleep. Eating immediately in the morning, particularly carbs stop this hormone production and therefore interferes with the body burning fat.. Exercise during that 2 hrs and have a breakfast with protein in it at the 2hr mark. I get up at 5am to do this before work.

I have a thyroid problem too, it's the only effective way I've found to lose weight. My husband averages 500gm a day weight loss using this with only cardio for 20min exercise, no weights. I'm building muscle, my loss is not so obvious "dam it!" :) but its coming off steadily.

It's not for everyone but it's what is recommended for people who have 'stubborn' fat from 'yo yo' dieting and for weight lifters whose bodies are confused by 'bulking' and 'leaning' all the time, 'yo yo'ing'.

Gnar
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb but mostly because I spend most of my calories on foods high in protein and fat. They make me feel fuller. When I did WW years ago, I didn't eat low carb at all. I remember being hungry all the time. I would eat that 35 calories bread every day, diet crackers, 100 calories packs, tons, of fruit, etc...... Now, I am eating full fat foods like cheese, nuts, egg whites, and whole eggs, etc... and really am not hungry too much! I do eat a lot of vegetables and your occasional fruit. I do have 1 meal where I eat whatever I want and that includes carbs. However, I do a lot of exercise too to balance things.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I find any day under 200g carbs is fairly low for me.

Inb4 insidious weight gain on the daily
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I always aim for under 200g a day, but even that can be hard sometimes. And I am gluten free...

I just love rice, bananas, grapefruit and vegetables so much! A banana is like 35g carbs :/
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    anything under 250 grams of carbohydrates is low..you should be getting at least 300:)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    For myself, "low carb" means around 100 give or take. That's what I aim for on rest days.

ETA: I feel good when on my low carb days. I eat my fat/protein requirements and it's all good. Moody and *****y is already in my nature so I'm not going to give that a second thought, lol.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Gnar

losing 3.5kg a week? Sounds nice - I guess it depends on how much you have to lose though. I did 1200 and it kick started my loss a bit, but now I eat closer to 2000 (1600 net) and it's much better and I am gaining muscle** whilst still losing a little.

I think the carbs thing depends on each individual, I always have carbs + protein after workout as this is best for muscle repair, but I would only have one 'serve' of straight carbs (rice/gluten free pasta) a day at most. (but this week I am off counting so have been eating more hehe)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Anything under 100 is low carb IMO.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    carbs are needed for serotonin synthesis. no carbs no serotonin = cranky people.

There are a LOT of other food substances that are needed beside carbs for serotonin synthesis. Magnesium is essential for its production and since about 85% of us are magnesium deficient, it is no wonder that America has been called "Prozac Nation".

As for low vs. lower carb. I never go above 150 grams of carbohydrate per day and I am well and losing weight. But then I have blood sugar issues at levels higher than that. I routinely stay between 60 to 120 grams per day, (I eat more on my heavier exercise days and less on my light days). But then I am lightly active the rest of the time. I'm not exactly sedentary but certainly nowhere near as active as I was in my younger days. If someone is heavily muscled and very active, they are obviously going to NEED a lot more carbohydrate than what I eat. But, since the majority of adults do not fall into that category (and especially women do not) the amount of carbs in the standard diet is a recipe for fat gain. For an obese nation, carbohydrate restriction makes sense. Very few are willing and able to do the exercise and weight lifting that warrants the high amount of carbs that the standard diet contains. And women, because of the effect of estrogen, are especially prone to weight gain on a high carbohydrate diet.
  • sue2328
    sue2328 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Personally, I wouldn't recommend low-carb diets; they all tend to make participants tired and moody. In addition, many low-carb diet participants are encouraged to supplement their lack of carbs by consuming almost unlimited amounts of high-fat, cholesterol-laden foods like bacon. It's not a healthy lifestyle.

Personally, I try to eat between 120g-150g (sometimes more) of carbs/day. I'm pretty active with walking/cycling so I need the fuel.

this so annoys me - please do not comment on something you haven't tried
    I have been low carb /high fat since Christmas - I have lost weigh; reduced my blood pressue;cholesterol levels and blood sugars - so what's not healthy?
    I have not felt so well in years - went out last night and was the first on the dance floor and last to leave it (at 54 I was also the oldest person there) I was driving to work the other day and found myself laughing out load for no apparant reason - strange possibley, but definitely not tired and moody.
    I do not think this is a diet for everyone - but as a T2 diabetic it is the only one to work for me. I do not feel hungry or deprived of food - I do not see this as a temporary diet to lose a bit of weigh - this is it for life. The benefits in how I feel and look far outweigh any restrictions.

Oh and I have been dieting on and off for years - and I always put the weight back on regardless of whichever plan I was following.

Try it - if it works for you, great, if not then try something else - But please don't knock what you don't know about