Damaged metabolism (Help!)

Options
Lexandrea
Lexandrea Posts: 56 Member
Well, I've been dieting for a long time now and it has turned into some kind of ED. I also workout a lot but been slacking for awhile now and just sitting most of the time due to no energy and being much weaker. I've lost a lot of my muscle and have done damage to my metabolism and my hormones. I've had two other account before this one in which my lowest weight was 89Lbs...I've also lost my period for months and months now and my hair falls out daily. My hips are now uneven and so are my shoulders because of working out too much...they were never like that before this fitness and dieting obsession. :frown:

I tried to "recover" on my own and eat more healthy foods while lifting heavier, but it didn't work. My energy levels dropped so I ended up not working out but still ate more than I was when I was 89Lbs. I also stopped tracking what I was eating because I thought it would help me recover, but it only made it worse so I made this account. I wanted to see how much I needed to lose this fat I've gained that took a short amount of time to gain, and to see how much I'm eating....again. Which leads to the vicious cycle once again. :grumble: :cry:

I now weigh 95Lbs of pure fat! That may not sound like a lot, but believe me, I do not look like I weigh 95Lbs. My body shape has really changed, and I hate it. I can't suck in my belly anymore because of the fat I've gained on top of my very small and weak muscles. I have a belly I've never had before, saddlebags I've never had before, arm and armpit fat I've never had before, loves handles, hips, saggy butt, ect, ect. I'm guessing it took around three weeks or less to gain the fat...

My question is: How do I repair a damage metabolism? I know muscle burns more, even at rest, but I can't rebuilt my lost muscles with this ED I have....it won't let me eat more because of my fear of gaining even MORE fat since my metabolism cannot burn the food off like it use to... :cry: I already tried eating more while lifting heavy and I gained fat. Not one tiny bit of muscle at all, or strength. Do I just keep adding more each week and slowly eat more while doing whatever I'm currently capable of doing for strength training? I take short walks, too....22 minutes since that's how long my route takes..I timed it.

You can read my profile for more information if you'd like....Thank you.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think you need to speak to a Doctor. No one on the internet can really address all your issues and addressing one in isolation is not way to go.
  • Lexandrea
    Options
    I think you need to speak to a Doctor. No one on the internet can really address all your issues and addressing one in isolation is not way to go.

I forgot to mention that I'm already getting help, but the ED clinic I'm going to isn't saying anything yet...it's been three weeks now...I've never been to one of these before. I already went to my parents about this, but I'm getting impatient with my Doctor and the clinic...I'm going crazy. I'm terrified of going and what will happen and what they will say, but i know this is help...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Look up reverse dieting for competition bodybuilders. They go from extremely low body fats 4% back up to their off season weight.. depending on the person could be go back up another +10% body fat. You generally want to add calories slowly back until you hit a normal calorie range (maintenance?) If you're going to start resistance training you're going to HAVE to eat otherwise your muscle with auto-cannibalize and instead of looking leaner you'll look flabbier. I'd suggest adding 4g of protein and 4g of carbs every week until you hit a normal bmi. During this time you can slowly start an exercise program of incline walk / body weight exercise and then as the weeks go along make the exercises more intense because you're getting more calories every week.

Sidenote: I upped my calories and I started losing body fat while gaining muscle... less calories doesn't always mean more weight loss. I agree with these other people, but they also seem to forget the simple fact that it's easier to take the same advice from a "peer" than it is someone else. You're young and you just have to keep reminding yourself that food is an energy source not something that automatically makes you fat.

You might find Furious Pete interesting. He suffered an ED when he was younger and was hospitalized. He know body builds as a hobby and has a YT channel dedicated to breaking food eating challenges... I'm not suggesting you do the same :P but maybe you'll find some inspiration.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Being on MFP and surrounding yourself with weightloss advice isn't going to help you.

Focus on getting better mentally and your body will follow, not the other way around. Listen to your doctor and the clinic.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I would certainly go to another clinic. You will need counseling to fix your relationship with food and also a nutritionist. I would think (not an expert) you will need to fix that part first before worrying about muscle building. If you do not have enough nutrition in you...you will not be able to rebuild muscle.

Try another clinic

Best of luck!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Other than what you are already doing (seeking medical help) I would suggest perhaps working for some charitable organization on a part-time basis. In the end, loving others is the whole point in life--what our bodies look like is not important at all. But without health we will not be able to serve others as well as it we were strong and healthy, which you should be at your age. So rebuilding your health needs to be a secondary focus. Concentrating on the positive (feeding your body nourishing food and appropriate exercise) is better than focusing on the negative feelings that you have expressed here. You are not fat by any means, but I am sure you have been told this many times. I would ignore what you see as fat and be happy with every little bit of progress in getting stronger. It would likely be a good idea to give your scale away and ignore your measurements. Since you are the one who has damaged your health, you have the power to do what is needed to bring your body back to health. You CAN do it. I have prayed for you. :heart:
  • Lexandrea
    Options
    Thank you, everyone who has replied. It's very hard going through this and I'm going through a rough time with gaining this fat...(even more than what I started with! :cry: :frown: )
  • Lexandrea
    Options
    I would certainly go to another clinic. You will need counseling to fix your relationship with food and also a nutritionist. I would think (not an expert) you will need to fix that part first before worrying about muscle building. If you do not have enough nutrition in you...you will not be able to rebuild muscle.

Try another clinic

Best of luck!!

I can't look for another clinic since we're waiting on this one suggested by my Doctor. but if it takes any longer, I might ask my parents to call the Doctor's office and ask what is taking so long and if I can go to another place.
  • Lexandrea
    Options
    Look up reverse dieting for competition bodybuilders. They go from extremely low body fats 4% back up to their off season weight.. depending on the person could be go back up another +10% body fat. You generally want to add calories slowly back until you hit a normal calorie range (maintenance?) If you're going to start resistance training you're going to HAVE to eat otherwise your muscle with auto-cannibalize and instead of looking leaner you'll look flabbier. I'd suggest adding 4g of protein and 4g of carbs every week until you hit a normal bmi. During this time you can slowly start an exercise program of incline walk / body weight exercise and then as the weeks go along make the exercises more intense because you're getting more calories every week.

Sidenote: I upped my calories and I started losing body fat while gaining muscle... less calories doesn't always mean more weight loss. I agree with these other people, but they also seem to forget the simple fact that it's easier to take the same advice from a "peer" than it is someone else. You're young and you just have to keep reminding yourself that food is an energy source not something that automatically makes you fat.

You might find Furious Pete interesting. He suffered an ED when he was younger and was hospitalized. He know body builds as a hobby and has a YT channel dedicated to breaking food eating challenges... I'm not suggesting you do the same :P but maybe you'll find some inspiration.

Thank you
    I sent him a message on Facebook on his fan page and 'Liked' it. See if he can give me some pointers.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Watch this video here for help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1DsZMNfNw
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Not what you want to hear, but bulking is the cure to damaged metabolism.

Keep the gains slow-moderate, and bust your hind end in the weight room to keep them as clean as possible.

But the scale MUST always be going up. Within a few months your metabolism will largely have returned to normal and you can cut off the extra fat gain, usually quite easily since you are in the right place mentally following bulking.
  • Lexandrea
    Options

Keep the gains slow-moderate, and bust your hind end in the weight room to keep them as clean as possible.

But the scale MUST always go up. Within a few months your metabolism will largely have returned to normal, and you can cut off the extra fat gain, usually quite easily since you are in the right place mentally following bulking.

I personally don't think I need anymore fat on my body than there is now to fix my metabolism....I need muscle, and I shouldn't need stored body fat in order to get it.. =/ I'm not sure how to safely add more and more calories without gaining anymore too much, too fast...I'm hoping the clinic will tell me how....and help me...
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options

But the scale MUST always go up. Within a few months your metabolism will largely have returned to normal, and you can cut off the extra fat gain, usually quite easily since you are in the right place mentally following bulking.

I personally don't think I need anymore fat on my body than there is now to fix my metabolism....I need muscle, and I shouldn't need stored body fat in order to get it.. =/ I'm not sure how to safely add more and more calories without gaining anymore too much, too fast...I'm hoping the clinic will tell me how....and help me...

In order to gain muscle, you need to feed your body. It is unrealistic to think you can evenly swap body fat for lean muscle without adding extra calories. Your first priority should be to reset your metabolism. Once you do that, you can work on building muscle.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

watch the videos that have been provided....
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a metabolism reset right now. And my metabolism is already repaired in great shape after years of being depressed. I got it tested recently and it's at 1701! So I researched all the ways to boost your metabolism and found out I'm already doing most of them, LOL.

I have to run now but tonight after work I'll post on this thread what I have done to repair my metabolism.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Sounds lke you burned your adreanals out from severe dieting and execissive exercise. Have your doctor check your harmone lvls and adreanals.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

Watch these.......as hard as it might be your first step should be to repair your metabolism......
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    If your hair is falling out it sounds like you have nutritional deficiencies especially magnesium and the good fats you find in fish oil and evening primrose. It also sounds like you do not have enough % of body fat. We need a certain amount of fat in our bodies to be healthy. I am glad you are seeking help from professionals. They are there for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • tino124
    tino124 Posts: 25
    Options

came to ****ing post this.

THIS. THIS. THIS.