Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

To gym or not to gym... Advice Needed

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to lose weight for a long time. In the past 3 weeks I ate as healthy as I could and I worked out more often than usually and I lost 1 kg. Right now I'm overweight, at 4'11 and 138lbs, and I really want a change.

I considered joining the gym, and let me explain why I need your opinion to make a decision:

Perks:
- The gym is amazing
- They have great classes (zumba, spinning, etc)
- A friend of mine is considering joining it with me
- It's not as expansive as I thought (because I get a student discount, but notice that I hate spending money and I'm not in a great financial situation)

Problems:
- The biggest problem here is that I'm traveling in July and August, and I won't be able to go to the gym. That means I'd be losing weight for 2 months (and paying to do so) and then for two months after that I wouldn't workout as often, and there's a chance my eating won't be as clean... So I might gain back what I lost?
- The second issue is that May and June are months with many tests, 3 incredibly important exams and a family event that will take a lot of my time, so I'm afraid I'll be more stressed than usual, and maybe I won't go to the gym as often as I should.

Do you think I should just invest in the gym, go for it for these two months, even though I'm especially busy and I'll have to stop?

Or should I just keep losing weight at home, with a good diet and some cardio here and there, and wait until September when I can join and *stay* in the gym?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    You will lose weight by eating properly, rather than by exercising. Going to the gym is great, and I think it'll help you with the stress of exams etc, but it's not going ot be the main cause of your weight loss.

Do they have a pay monthly option? Can they freeze your membership while you're travelling?
  • meredithgomez
    meredithgomez Posts: 33 Member
    Yes, I talked to them and they were super nice and said that I could just pay for May and June, take a break, and come back in September without any additional fees. I'm just scared I may waste all the money by gaining back the weight, or not losing at all...
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    You could hold off on the gym until after you're back, but that DOESN'T mean you can't work out regularly. The first thing is to get your diet in check, that's 80% of weight loss. Next, find some at home stuff you like that you'll do regularly. Blogilates.com has a monthly calendar of workout videos to do, you might like that. Checkout nerdfitness.com as well. There's tons of videos on the internet with all kinds of workouts. You could do something as "simple" as walk/run for 20-30 minutes 3-4 days a week and do squats, crunches, planks, push-ups, lunges and leg lifts 3 days a week, and look and feel great, combined with diet, of course. A bonus of waiting on the gym is that if you start an at-home routine now, you'll be more likely to stick with it in July and August. I definitely wouldn't just do "cardio here and there", but I think it's ok to wait to join the gym.

edited: Just read your last post, Going for just May and June would be fine. Why be scared of gaining the weight back? If you don't go in May & June and you don't lose or you gain, and then you gain more in July and August, you'd be worse off anyway. There's no reason you can't get in a good workout in July and August without access to the gym. I know eating can be hard when not at home, but you can make it work, even with indulgences.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Without wishing to sound too harsh, you are the only person who can control whether it is a waste of your money by gaining the weight back! Even if you don't lose any weight intially you will be fitter and thus healthier.

I am assuming you are still fairly young - as a wise old 43 year old I would have to say " never NOT do something because something MIGHT happen"!! Just go for it.
  • tenintwenty
    tenintwenty Posts: 92
    I don't understand your rationale that you might waste money by gaining the weight back. Your gaining weight is presumably independent of whether or not you join the gym and lose it in the first place. So alternately, if "gaining weight" is inevitable, you will end up heaviest if you don't loseany to begin with. Also, maybe all the hard work at the gym will inspire you to keep your habits in check and keep the weight off when you aren't able to go.

Since the gym said they will give you that two months free anyways, I think your arguments sound more like you're trying to talk yourself out of it than anything. You are worth an investment in your health and happiness. Don't talk yourself out of it, or find ways to rationalize against healthy changes you want and sabotoge yourself.
  • meredithgomez
    I really agree with all of you when you say that diet is the key. As for exercise, I've been jogging for 30 minutes or doing some workout videos (I've tried Blogilates and Fitness Blender).

However, working out at the gym is more exciting, specially because of the classes they offer, since I tend to go easy on the workout videos.

I'm now starting to believe that, gym or no gym, I have to focus on eating right AND I can't go back to bad habits in July and August. I have to make sure I workout in those months too, and I can't stop following a healthy diet just because I'm on vacations.
  • meredithgomez
    I think your arguments sound more like you're trying to talk yourself out of it than anything. You are worth an investment in your health and happiness. Don't talk yourself out of it, or find ways to rationalize against healthy changes you want and sabotoge yourself.

I can promise you I was super excited about the gym, and I want to go, I really really do. The biggest factor for me here is money, I'm a student and my parents would be paying for it, if I don't get results in two months (and I don't believe *a lot* will change in such a short period) I will feel like I'm wasting their money.
  • tenintwenty
    tenintwenty Posts: 92
    I think your arguments sound more like you're trying to talk yourself out of it than anything. You are worth an investment in your health and happiness. Don't talk yourself out of it, or find ways to rationalize against healthy changes you want and sabotoge yourself.

I can promise you I was super excited about the gym, and I want to go, I really really do. The biggest factor for me here is money, I'm a student and my parents would be paying for it, if I don't get results in two months (and I don't believe *a lot* will change in such a short period) I will feel like I'm wasting their money.

Even if you don't lose a ton of weight from two months in the gym, if you put in work, that's plenty of time for noticable change in your level of fitness, which will improve every area of your life. Your parents will not think that an improvement to your life is wasting their money. That's just your own weird negative self-talk. It sounds like you're afraid of failure more than anything. There is no way to fail this other than just not going for it, so go for it!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Don't waste your money. You wouldn't go. Just buy a nice pair of walking shoes, and walk an hour a day, and track your calories.
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Go for a walk for 1 hour a day, listen to some music and just take time to yourself!
  • kitchen0nfire
    kitchen0nfire Posts: 22 Member
    I'm going to REALLY honest with you...

You don't go to the gym just when you want to lose weight, it should be constant! Whatever exercise you chose (running, bicycle, gym, etc...) should be worked into your weekly schedule as part of a healthier lifestyle, especially after you lose the weight.

If money is an issue, do your own exercises. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/ has a great array of printable exercises with and without equipment.

And like everyone else has said: diet is key. At first, eat everything you would normally eat, fats and sugars and everything, but just cut 300 or 400 cal out of your daily intake (which is what myfitnesspal.com is for...). After a week or two, start thinking healthy: replace a burger with a wrap, a candy bar with almonds, ice cream with frozen yogurt, etc.

Everyone has they own weight loss pace, so don't compare yourself with anyone else. Especially if you're a student, a healthier lifestyle is a must. I have been going to college for the past 2 years but have only started my "diet" and exercising in January, and I feel better than ever. I haven't lost much because of my thyroid medication being off, but I feel much better now and I actually have been able to jungle working part time and going to school full time without the mental breakdowns.

Have fun!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member

Instead of having that be a source of anxiety, have it be a source of motivation. Too tired/stressed/busy to go? Sorry, you have to anyway otherwise you're wasting the 'rents money. Simple, right? If you have to, set reminders on your phone and/or computer to pop up every day (there may even be apps for that). Or even print out a bunch of motivational sayings (like your profile pic) and post them on your walls and fridge.

And yeah, there's no need to lax off on the healthy eating and exercise while not at home. It's tougher to stick with your regimine but you have to make a plan ahead of time and commit to sticking with it as best you can. I took a family vacation with cousins and an aunt who eat horribly and still managed to get plenty of activity and eat well enough so that I managed to lose 2 pounds at the end of the week! Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of temptations and pressure from them to eat certain things because "it's fun!" (so much wrong with that...smh) and I allowed myself a few small indulgences but it still worked out fine in the end because I stuck to my plan 90% of the time.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    a diet or reduction in calories will make a smaller version of yourself

If you want to lose FAT and change your body composition you need to hit the gym and lift weights the more lean muscle you have the faster your metabolism will burn calories.

A restricted calorie intake will help you lose weight but losing weight equates to muscle bone water and fat. Our goals should be to lose fat and become fitter and healthier.

Build a new and better lifestyle rather than a temporary date unless you want to yoyo for years to come.

And yes you can do strength training out of the gym at home in a hotel wherever, there's plenty of things on the internet and youtube to watch.

Good luck
  • KD12321KD
    KD12321KD Posts: 19 Member
    I have a really stressful job and I rejoined my gym 2 months ago. I am so glad I did. It helps so much with stress relief and helps me sleep, I wish I had thought to do it during my exams last year but I had a 2 1/2 hour commute to my University (each way! argh!) so time was a major issue.

I would also say that if you are paying for gym membership and provided it is relatively close distance-wise you are more likely to go workout than just doing something at home. You are also more likely (I would say) to work out longer as if you are at home the temptation can be just to do a bit then watch tv! You could also revise in the gym if you wanted to and combine activities!

Just my view, but you did ask!
  • kitchen0nfire
    kitchen0nfire Posts: 22 Member
    a diet or reduction in calories will make a smaller version of yourself

If you want to lose FAT and change your body composition you need to hit the gym and lift weights the more lean muscle you have the faster your metabolism will burn calories.

A restricted calorie intake will help you lose weight but losing weight equates to muscle bone water and fat. Our goals should be to lose fat and become fitter and healthier.

Build a new and better lifestyle rather than a temporary date unless you want to yoyo for years to come.

And yes you can do strength training out of the gym at home in a hotel wherever, there's plenty of things on the internet and youtube to watch.

Good luck

AMEN
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    I think it depends. Are you joining the gym to help you lose weight or to get your body in better shape? (There is a difference.)

I joined a gym to just try to tone everything up to get in better shape. My husband joined it too later on.

To me, the food you eat is more important to losing weight than exercising. I'm finally to the point though that exercising may help me lose the last 90 pounds, but again, exercising won't mean a thing if I'm not eating right.

To me, joining a gym had more to do with getting more fit, rather than losing weight.

My 2 cents worth....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Hi everyone!

I've been trying to lose weight for a long time. In the past 3 weeks I ate as healthy as I could and I worked out more often than usually and I lost 1 kg. Right now I'm overweight, at 4'11 and 138lbs, and I really want a change.

I considered joining the gym, and let me explain why I need your opinion to make a decision:

Perks:
    - The gym is amazing
    - They have great classes (zumba, spinning, etc)
    - A friend of mine is considering joining it with me
    - It's not as expansive as I thought (because I get a student discount, but notice that I hate spending money and I'm not in a great financial situation)

Problems:
    - The biggest problem here is that I'm traveling in July and August, and I won't be able to go to the gym. That means I'd be losing weight for 2 months (and paying to do so) and then for two months after that I wouldn't workout as often, and there's a chance my eating won't be as clean... So I might gain back what I lost?
    - The second issue is that May and June are months with many tests, 3 incredibly important exams and a family event that will take a lot of my time, so I'm afraid I'll be more stressed than usual, and maybe I won't go to the gym as often as I should.

Do you think I should just invest in the gym, go for it for these two months, even though I'm especially busy and I'll have to stop?

Or should I just keep losing weight at home, with a good diet and some cardio here and there, and wait until September when I can join and *stay* in the gym?

You are way over thinking this AND setting yourself up for self sabotage already ..as in this sentence - "That means I'd be losing weight for 2 months (and paying to do so) and then for two months after that I wouldn't workout as often, and there's a chance my eating won't be as clean... So I might gain back what I lost?".

Join the gym, have fun, enjoy. When your July August break comes up - reaffirm your commitment that this is a lifestyle and figure out how to stay fit while traveling (and on a gym break). People work around obstacles like this all the time.