Replies

• healthfulnow
    healthfulnow Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    How many people get them when they walk? Run? What stretches do you do to avoid them? I have been stretching the same way for months but the last two weeks I walk more than 15 min before my shins start to feel like they are on fire.
    What can I do?

I used to get shin splints if I ran on pavements, so much so, I was unable to jog outside at all and did all my training on a treadmill (splints never seems to happen on the TM) or on grass, grass was good because it has quite a lot of give in it but unfortunately the weather in the UK put paid to training on grass much of the time because it would end up all boggy due to the rain.

Everything changed when I had my running gait analysed and was advised on Saucony Progrid CS2, which I purchased. I stuck Sorbothane insoles in them for good measure and off I went. Everything seemed okay and I run roughly 15 to 20 miles per week, outside on the pavements. I do not stretch beforehand, nor afterwards come to think of it.

Ironically, those very first pair of trainers that I bought that enabled me to run outdoors, are now on their last legs, I have just one run left in them before I will stop using them for training. Do you know, I cannot bear to throw them out and have decided to keep them and use them for gardening or something - I have grown too fond of them :laugh: