Any musicians on here?

Options
chocolateandvodka
chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
Just wondering. if you are then tell us what you play, how long, and who your influences are.

me: keys, about 17 years, informally though - i never learned to read notes beyond basic music theory. i dabble in a few other instruments though like acoustic guitar, violin and percussion and i sing.
influences: musically - Clint Brown, Israel Houghton, Evanescence, Barlow Girl, Keith Urban etc. (i play by ear, thus the broad range of sounds)
vocally: Pink, Francesca Battistelli, ?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've played piano for 10 years but don't have a piano since I moved out so I haven't regularly played in awhile. I've played guitar for about 8 years, taught myself. I'm actually playing & singing "Grow Old With You" by Adam Sandler (from the Wedding Singer) in a wedding first Saturday of June!! I've been singing since as long as I can't remember. I've also written over 200 original songs and even had a couple gigs last year but nothing really came of it.

PS - I love BarlowGirl!! I played "Never Alone" on the piano & sang it for a competition when I was a teenager. Such a fun song to play.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Guitar. I've been playing for about 6 years. I play with a group about every two weeks at a local bar.

I don't write music or anything, just play and do some improv soloing to the blues. (And some scripted soloing like Comfortably Numb and such.)

We play classic rock, southern rock and the blues. (I'm in Louisiana, lol, our crowd loves it.)

Personally, my favorite artists are Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Clash, The Smiths, Styx (just saw them live - awesome) etc. I like new stuff too, Sarah Bareilles, Pink, Letters to Cleo.... But I've gotta go back to my classics pretty regularly. :)
  • tleigh
    tleigh Posts: 58
    Options
    I play clarinet and saxophone (have played alto, tenor and baritone as needed). I started playing clarinet 15 years ago, then picked up the sax about 5 years later. For what I play I am definitely a jazz fan...my biggest influence was my high school band teacher who also played the sax, and is the one who introduced me to jazz.

I love to sing, but am horribly out of practice and don't have as much control as I used to.

Miko, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Francesca!! Arielle, Barlow Girl is pretty awesome too!
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Guitar and Vocals. I started to play guitar when i was 14.. and taught it myself, so i am surely way behind anyone who learned it in a school. I went over acoustics, electric, bass all of them have their benefits :) I play whatever comes to my mind and fits into my mood.

Vocals i do since kindergarden, i had a great singer who was a friend gave me free private lessons. I also gave singing classes about 2 years to children and adults, mostly in groups. I used to be a soprano, mostly gospel and other heart-music but like to sing everything. In the last 4 years i did not do much because of several reasons, mostly depression, so my voice is totally out of training. But i got my new guitar strings yesterday so i will be doing more again.

I kind of wrote songs, but only with simple guitar chords and they are not really good - the typical 16 year old heart pain stuff *laughs* Since then i didn't write anything.

I used to have piano lessons but not for long, i know where i find which note on the keys but that's it *laughs*

Inspiration is everyone, everything actually. People, Nature, sounds, thoughts, stories...
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    Does an aspiring one still count? Or what about a digital one? I can play some mean drums on Rockband for my xBox 360 ;)

I've owned my guitar going on 5 years now, but certainly haven't been playing it that long unfortunately. Took lessons there in the beginning but finances cut that short. Now it just sits there in the corner staring at me every time i walk past it. I find myself getting discouraged pretty easily when i try to play, which i know is soooo counter-productive. I've tried to self-teach by playing tabs and stuff, but it seems i learn quicker if i see someone else do it, and then i try to reproduce that same thing. Only problem there is that no one wants to sit down with me, and help me out short of me paying for more lessons. *sigh*

Just like trying to lose weight i guess. You get so accustomed to a certain routine, and it becomes very difficult to break once you are into it full swing.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a family full of musicians. When I was a little girl my family and I would play at bluegrass festivals (I sang) and when I was 10 I started playing the clarinet and piano. In HS my band director decided I should play the trombone for the marching band.I played keyboardsand sang in a cover band for a while. I have also played sax in a jazz band, and I can strum a few decent chords on a guitar, but never got good at it due to an incident that involved my left middle finger and a door. Thankfully I can still play every other instrument, but it is very diificult for me to press on guitar strings with that finger, so I just play around with it for fun at parties. I still play the clarinet in a community band and this summer I will begin singing in a choir at my temple. I love music! And my influences are extremely varied, I have a wide range of musical interests from classical composers tojazz to pop to world music. My favorite slacker radio station however is the Indie channel because I really appreciate unique talent that doesn't fall into any prescribed genre.
  • nevin_brown
    nevin_brown Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wasn’t going to respond to this post because it doesn’t appear to be fitness related; however, it is music related so I couldn’t resist.

My primary instrument is guitar and I’ve been playing for approximately a long time. I also play drums, bass, and a little bit of piano. These are also “long time” events, although not as long as the guitar. I’ve been singing since I was in grade school. Although I do play with a few people once or twice a month my primary musical collaborator is myself. I write and record my own music to distribute how I want to whom I want, and hope to never give that up.

It is hard for me to identify influences because I do not believe the music I write sounds like the people I enjoy most. My favorite band of all time is the Beatles. My favorite female solo Artist is Tori Amos. My favorite mail solo Artist is Sting. I did go through a period where I listened to and enjoyed a lot of Phish, Steely Dan, Rush, and Yes, although probably not all at the same time.

When I do get together with others it is more about improvisation and finding a nice groove that we can all feel connected to until we wear it out by playing it too long.

I think that about wraps it up. Thanks for creating a spot for me to ramble a bit.
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have my first violin recital next weekend and I've only been playing about 8 months....yikes! I've played piano for about 21 years and used to teach lessons to beginners as well. I used to play electric bass guitar in a rock band (also taught lessons, briefly). I am good at the flute yet despise the instrument. To kill time, I also love to play Beatles song on my acoustic guitar. I used to play tenor sax, but haven't in a long time. I also dabble in other reed instruments, harmonica, trumpet, etc... I need to learn how to play drums, but have never officially learned though I do have a drum pad. I figure I would take to like a fish in water because I am always tapping away and picked up a lot when in the band. I used to sing and be in all of the choirs back when I was in school, but singing always gave me stage fright, ironically enough. I remember I had a solo for a state competition in high school and that was like Terror 101. Sorry, for rambling.....I love to talk about music. I am a complete nerd for theory and composition as well.....
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm a musician. I can't professionally call myself a songwriter because I haven't had anything published yet, but its what I do.
    Piano Guitar and vocals and anything I can pick up and blow pluck or strum. I don't think you are allowed to advertise on here by I have a myspace page and a reverbnation page if anyone wants a listen just PM me. Or google "Zerendipity" I'm the first one that comes up!! for some reason???

Music is amazing I live for it. Well that and a few cheeky beers at the weekend. Currently studying partime for my degree so I can teach in schools.

Ben
    :)
  • crlujan
    crlujan Posts: 59
    Options
    Hiya. I play bass, drums and guitar. In that order of preference. I started out with the guitar, then moved to bass, then picked up the drums.
    I'd say that bass is my main instrument. Upright and electric. I did alot of upright playing here in the Bay Area Jazz scene. But my true love is playing funk/soul on the electric bass. I'm actually trying to get a few sessions together to finally record an album.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow musicians! I love music more than anything! I am fortunate to teach vocal music to kids in 6-12 grades at a small middle school/high school in Iowa. I love to sing! I was a vocal performance and music education double major in college. I have been singing since I was able to. I started my "formal" music career learning and playing the violin- since 3rd grade (I'm now 25). My orchestra teacher inspired me to pursue a career as a music educator. I also play piano and have learned an array of different instruments. My musical taste tends to vary- but I usually go back to my roots of classical and choral music a my main influences. I also really like classic rock, hip hop, r & b, jazz, and even pop! :) Yay for finding other music people on here! Nice post!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Guitar for over 18 years (started a few months before I turned 16), and I took organ lessons in the 7th grade....yeah, my sister took guitar lessons at the time and two years later we switched and I haven't looked back.....guitar is my favorite....I'm a lead guitarist for a cover band that is still reforming

I have many of the typical guitarist influences: Metallica, Alice in Chains, Zeppelin, Pantera, Disturbed, Godsmack, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, etc, but my all-time favorite band is Tool....not just because of the guitar arrangements, but no one sounds like them. And yes I definitely like his side projects.....more A Perfect Circle as opposed to Puscifer
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Drums, Harmonica.

Michael Shrieve, Fito de la Parra are my inspiration on drums.

On Harmonica, the greatest influences are William Clarke, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown and Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Oh yeah. I sing, but I sound just like I look. I sound a lot better in a smoke filled bar after YOU'VE had a couple drinks.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of instruments I play well: piano & flute (playing piano for 21 years, flute for 15)
    a couple I'm learning:accordion & bass guitar (accordion for 2 months bass sporadically for 6 years)
    and a couple I have but really really suck : clarinet & guitar (yeah... I've had the clarinet for 3 years and the guitar for 8 but that doesn't mean I've learned how to play them well)
    :laugh:

Right now I'm focusing on learning to play the accordion. It's nuts. I love it. My influences are Gogol Bordello and Eastern European folk music. :smile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not a musician, I'm just a guitar player. Long time, self taught and just playing with folks. Mediocre on guitar, can play the basics on bass, decent vocals, better after a little liquid courage.

I have a big rich deep baritone - bass voice,,, until noon. By the evening I lose the bottom 1/2 octave and my voice is average at best. On days I'm going to play with the gang I try to rest the voice until playtime and that seems to help. Anybody else experience this?

Influences - great songwriter/singers. John Prine, Mellencamp, Radney Foster, Willie, Merle, James McMurtry. I'm beginning to try to write and working on learning more theory, we'll see how it goes.

My wife is a passable pianist and getting started on fiddle & mando,,, I can't wait 'til she's ready to play in front of people. I've always had a fantasy about a hot fiddle player and she's halfway there! :laugh:
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm a pianist. I play for my church and the local choir. I taught piano for seven years but realized I was terrible at it and quit.

I've been playing since I was around 7 years old and just never stopped. :) Originally I played primarily by ear but after training I play mostly by sheet now and wish I COULD play by ear again.

I am in the process of learning to play guitar but I find it difficult (OW OW OW OW). Haha. Although i will say translating piano sheet music to guitar is pretty darned easy. Now if only I could figure out the chording. Yikes!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    WOW. thanks for all the responses everyone! couldn't resist to replying to a few of the things that jumped out at me while readin through the list here...
    1 - i forgot to mention that i am a songwriter also. as for publishing, that's kind of my fault. i've received an outstanding offer but have been moving very slowly and cautiously on it since i'm a bit new.
    2 - bluegrass!!! i saw someone mention singing with a bluegrass band as a child. my uncles had a bluegrass band and now and then they get together and we have a singfest. love it. i'm not a fan of "mainstream" bluegrass but i could listen to my uncles for hours. (i'm a bit biased)
    3 - music can be fitness related - dance dance revolution counts as exercise, and when you're a serious drummer you can burn a ton of calories in a concert lol. i guess you can do that on a lot of instruments lol.
    4 - i am also self-taught, but i am constantly looking for ways to improve.
    5 - currently i play and sing for my church, teach a bit and am basically the assistant music director there. love staying busy with music.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've played piano for 10 years but don't have a piano since I moved out so I haven't regularly played in awhile. I've played guitar for about 8 years, taught myself. I'm actually playing & singing "Grow Old With You" by Adam Sandler (from the Wedding Singer) in a wedding first Saturday of June!! I've been singing since as long as I can't remember. I've also written over 200 original songs and even had a couple gigs last year but nothing really came of it.

PS - I love BarlowGirl!! I played "Never Alone" on the piano & sang it for a competition when I was a teenager. Such a fun song to play.

Yay you decided to do it? :D So much fun!!

As for me I just sing, but my boyfriend is a drummer :)
  • maemccoy
    maemccoy Posts: 7
    Options
    What a talented bunch!!! That is great! I play 1950s style honky tonk and western swing music. Guitar & Vocals.