Steamcooker, to buy or not to buy?

Options
meidie1980
meidie1980 Posts: 267 Member
Can anyone please tell me what you think are the pro's and/or con's of having a steamcooker.
(Obviously i am thinking of buying one ;) )

I wanted one for a couple of years now, but am afraid it's one of those things that won't be used
after a wile.

Do you still use yours, and if you do what do you all cook with it?

Thank you♡

Replies

• WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Can anyone please tell me what you think are the pro's and/or con's of having a steamcooker.
    (Obviously i am thinking of buying one ;) )

I wanted one for a couple of years now, but am afraid it's one of those things that won't be used
    after a wile.

Do you still use yours, and if you do what do you all cook with it?

Thank you♡

I have one that I use once a week to make my rice. It steams veggies as well but I don't use it for that purpose.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I steam a lot and have for years, but I use one of those collapsible metal baskets that fans out like a flower opening. It fits in a few pans for various sizes of cooking. I also have a double boiler insert for one of my large sauce pans that gets a lot of use. If it is convenient to steam and you like steamed veggies, shellfish or other such things, a steamer might be a good purchase. But I would get the cheap basket insert first and see if it gets much use. You may decide (like me) that you don't really need a dedicated steamer.
  • awilson4130
    awilson4130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a steamer and it's my FAVORITE appliance! I use it at least 2 or 3 times a week to steam my veggies. You can also cook rice, fish, and chicken in it as well. super easy to use, just throw it in there, set the timer and walk away. Clean up is really easy too. I would be really bummed if something ever happened to my steamer.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have one, but to be honest it does not get used that often. I prefer to cook rice on the stove-top and I kind of go it spurts where I will use it for a while, then it sits gathering dust for months. Summer I seem to use it more with all the fresh veggies,.
  • 42lovekjh
    42lovekjh Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a steamer and it's my FAVORITE appliance! I use it at least 2 or 3 times a week to steam my veggies. You can also cook rice, fish, and chicken in it as well. super easy to use, just throw it in there, set the timer and walk away. Clean up is really easy too. I would be really bummed if something ever happened to my steamer.

Ditto!! I've had and been using one for maybe 20 years and love it!! It's so easy to use, food turns out great consistently, and obviously a healthy option for cooking! The stainless steamer baskets are fine if you don't want to buy one but the appliance itself (mine is a rice cooker / steamer) is the bomb and small price for big investment.
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a Tupperware one. It only costs like $20! I steam all of my veggies in it! They taste soooo much better! I use it about 2-3 times a week. And it doesnt take to much space! (It goes in the microwave)
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The main factor in how much you use it will probably be the way the steamer is designed, if there are a lot of bits to it and nooks for food to get trapped and hard to clean you will hate it. Personally I don't use a steamer although that's partly because I share a house with others and counter space is at a premium. My favourite kitchen appliance is the slow cooker.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    We got ours as a wedding gift and I LOVE IT! I use it about twice a week, sometimes more often. I use it to steam veggies like broccoli, carrots and zucchini or to cook rice. It's very useful if you have a small stove and kitchen like I do.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    I've been considering a purchase. Can anyone recommend a model that they currently use? I'd really like to be able to steam veg and chicken or fish as well as rice and other grains.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly steaming my rice and veggies. I have two separate steamers though. I have a rice steamer that I use for basmati rice, brown rice, wild rice and quinoa, and then I have a stove-top stock pot with a steamer basket on top that I use for all of my veggies: green beans, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower. It's awesome! My only issue with it is that it doesn't fit in the dishwasher, so I have to wash it by hand. *grin* This is the stovetop kind I have made by Tramontina:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-3-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Steamer-Double-Boiler-Stock-Pot/5902718
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    I've been considering a purchase. Can anyone recommend a model that they currently use? I'd really like to be able to steam veg and chicken or fish as well as rice and other grains.

I have one like this one (mine is a slightly older model)... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-8-Cup-Rice-Cooker-and-Food-Steamer/19756394. I have used it to to steam fish and veggies, but I mainly use it to cook whole chickens or chicken breasts, etc. depending on what is on sale. It is very basic but really all that I need.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm constantly steaming my rice and veggies. I have two separate steamers though. I have a rice steamer that I use for basmati rice, brown rice, wild rice and quinoa, and then I have a stove-top stock pot with a steamer basket on top that I use for all of my veggies: green beans, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower. It's awesome! My only issue with it is that it doesn't fit in the dishwasher, so I have to wash it by hand. *grin*

Very good point! I have to wash the baskets for my rice cooker by hand but still think it is worth it. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You wanted to know about steamer use over time. Well, I've had those fan-out steamer baskets that go in a pot since the 1970s when I first lived on my own. I used it a lot through the early 80s. Then I got a microwave. A covered dish of veggies with a little water sprinkled on them steams as well as a steamer and is quicker. The little fan-out thing is around here somewhere but it is more likely to be moved out of the way for me to grab something else than to be used. If the microwave died, however, it would see use again.

I cook rice in the oven.
  • meidie1980
    meidie1980 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies♥

I think i will get one tomorrow. one of the ones with 3 layers and a rice insert is on
    offer now and i will have a go at it !