Cleansing shakes

ladypitek
ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
I was wondering if any of you have tried IsaGenix or similar "cleansing" products? I have a couple of friends that started using the product independently of each other and both have had amazing results in both their bodies and (possibly psychosomatically) their energy levels. I wasn't sure if these results were temporary and they would gain the weight back once they stopped the shakes, or if this is legitimately a healthy and nutritious way to slim down.

Replies

• WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    I was wondering if any of you have tried IsaGenix or similar "cleansing" products? I have a couple of friends that started using the product independently of each other and both have had amazing results in both their bodies and (possibly psychosomatically) their energy levels. I wasn't sure if these results were temporary and they would gain the weight back once they stopped the shakes, or if this is legitimately a healthy and nutritious way to slim down.

I don't want to burst your bubble on this but cleansing products are "lose weight fast" schemes from marketers. The best way to slim down is what I am sure you have probably heard before: knowing the amount of calories your own body needs to lose weight (eating in a deficit), a good exercise regiment and drinking plenty of water. The last one being one of the main factors to cleanse once body from toxins and other stuff.
  • ladypitek
    No bubble burst here, that's why I was asking! I am just really curious how my one friend is gaining muscle mass from this stuff when she's not working out at all. I wasn't looking for any quick fixes, so far I've done really well with just watching what I eat and exercising more and I'm ok with the slow and steady route if it gives me maintainable results. I just didn't know if this was a safe or healthy way to help give me a little boost.
  • WhoButME28
    Your original post made me respond to it due to a Instagram picture that I saw recently speaking about this very topic of cleansing. In a nutshell it basically stated that people don't give their bodies enough credit for its own way where it "cleanses" the system daily through proper diet and exercise.

One major issue I have with cleansing, as a whole, is that a lot of those programs require for the individual to basically fast for most of the day. In doing so you're basically depriving your body from all of the macro nutrients (protein, fats, carbs).

Everybody's body is different. Personally I can only account for that same slow and steady approach that has brought you results as well.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    I am just really curious how my one friend is gaining muscle mass from this stuff when she's not working out at all..

Your friend isn't gaining muscle from this. Especially without working out. Food intake will not result in muscle growth.

And the cleanse.. waste of time and money. The whole Isagenix thing is crap.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    No bubble burst here, that's why I was asking! I am just really curious how my one friend is gaining muscle mass from this stuff when she's not working out at all. I wasn't looking for any quick fixes, so far I've done really well with just watching what I eat and exercising more and I'm ok with the slow and steady route if it gives me maintainable results. I just didn't know if this was a safe or healthy way to help give me a little boost.

Your friend is not gaining muscle mass from a shake and no workout. There is no way. She may be losing some fat so her muscles show more, but she is definitely not gaining mass. If that were possible, the BB world would be all over that *kitten*, and I'm sure my husband would have a huge tub of it. :)
  • WhoButME28

Your friend is not gaining muscle mass from a shake and no workout. There is no way. She may be losing some fat so her muscles show more, but she is definitely not gaining mass. If that were possible, the BB world would be all over that *kitten*, and I'm sure my husband would have a huge tub of it. :)

#Facts !
  • ladypitek
    I can only go by what I see and the girl has never worked out a day in her life; she gets angry if a walk is longer than 3 blocks and I don't warn her in advance LOL And somehow she now has clearly defined abs and biceps. It's just very perplexing. As far as the proteins/fats/carbs all that stuff is in the shakes. I wasn't interested so much in the cleansing aspect as the fact that I have a very low calorie goal and find it difficult to get the nutrients I need within that limited number of calories. I thought maybe a supplement like this would help in that regard. Most vitamin supplements contain gelatin or shellfish, neither of which I will injest so I have been lookign for an alternative.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    I can only go by what I see and the girl has never worked out a day in her life; she gets angry if a walk is longer than 3 blocks and I don't warn her in advance LOL And somehow she now has clearly defined abs and biceps. It's just very perplexing. As far as the proteins/fats/carbs all that stuff is in the shakes. I wasn't interested so much in the cleansing aspect as the fact that I have a very low calorie goal and find it difficult to get the nutrients I need within that limited number of calories. I thought maybe a supplement like this would help in that regard. Most vitamin supplements contain gelatin or shellfish, neither of which I will injest so I have been lookign for an alternative.

I would hazard a guess that she is losing body fat which in turn is making her existing muscles show through. You can't gain muscle in a calorie deficit.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Unneeded.

Your body does a decent job of cleaning and maintaining on its own.

Just start eating clean and cut out processed foods if you are concerned about consuming toxins and chemicals...

I'd personally look into juicing if you want a natural way to get nutrients. If you wont take vitamins, taking a powdered cleanse supplement isn't something you should be considering either.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    3! 3 fad diets! AH AH AH AH HAAAAAAA!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    3! 3 fad diets! AH AH AH AH HAAAAAAA!

just laughed so hard
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    cleanses are marketing schemes. the body has nothing it needs the aid of any product to help it cleanse itself. as much as they make it sound, we're not all walking around storing toxins in our system. Imagine if we did?!

and i hate hearing "well its so i can start fresh" you can do that today if you want without a cleanse that deprives your body of fat, carbs and protein. :/
  • ladypitek
    cleanses are marketing schemes. the body has nothing it needs the aid of any product to help it cleanse itself. as much as they make it sound, we're not all walking around storing toxins in our system. Imagine if we did?!

and i hate hearing "well its so i can start fresh" you can do that today if you want without a cleanse that deprives your body of fat, carbs and protein. :/

I wasn't interested in "cleansing," that's just the category in which they put the shakes. And again, this brand also happens to have fat, carbs, and protein if you look at the nutritional info. I just really want to get all the nutrients I need and stay within my calorie goals for the day!! No I haven't been persuaded to spend $300 a month on powder!! hahaha I just want to make sure I'm getting all my vitamins without actually taking a vitamin...unless you guys know some really good VEGAN multivitamins??
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    I just want to make sure I'm getting all my vitamins without actually taking a vitamin...unless you guys know some really good VEGAN multivitamins??

Yes, Juice Plus+ is whole food nutrition from 25 fruits and vegetables. JP+ is organic, non GMO, and NSF certified.
    It has a food label on the bottle, NOT a supplement label on the bottle.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

then why do we need a cleanse before a colonoscopy, if our body never needs help? not gonna get into a big fight about this, because I don't really care, but I'm curious if those are marketing schemes too?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member

then why do we need a cleanse before a colonoscopy, if our body never needs help? not gonna get into a big fight about this, because I don't really care, but I'm curious if those are marketing schemes too?

You are also asked not to eat for an extended period of time. Has nothing to do with filtering out toxins. Has everything to do with the doc wanting to look at a colon that's not full of poop.

ETA: Preventative procedures to stop/detect colon cancer is not in the same category as a company promoting cleansing to rid the body of toxins.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

You are also asked not to eat for an extended period of time. Has nothing to do with filtering out toxins. Has everything to do with the doc wanting to look at a colon that's not full of poop.

ETA: Preventative procedures to stop/detect colon cancer is not in the same category as a company promoting cleansing to rid the body of toxins.

exactly. most cleanses have you on a low calorie diet for the duration as well, and the goal is to clean out your digestive tract + colon. poop particles etc that don't get expelled can ferment and cause buildup of less-than-pleasant things, so what's wrong with cleaning yourself up every now and again even if you don't have to get a colonoscopy?
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member

I could be wrong, but a "cleanse" before a colonoscopy is specifically irradicate your guts out of any poop in a very short time period (usually 24 hours before the test) so they are able to view your colon better...

But it's not because your body cannot do itself...
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234

Since I've had one I classify it as a flush not a cleanse! The Doc wants you squeaky clean for when he rams his camera up your . . . . . . to take pictures!
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member

exactly. most cleanses have you on a low calorie diet for the duration as well, and the goal is to clean out your digestive tract + colon. poop particles etc that don't get expelled can ferment and cause buildup of less-than-pleasant things, so what's wrong with cleaning yourself up every now and again even if you don't have to get a colonoscopy?

But poop is still IN your system on a "cleanse" in the sense of a "cleanse" that you are talking about.... not the same at all as a laxative drink hours before a colonoscopy. The analogy is just not the same at all.

...btw...I dont think a cleanse, as what you are talking about is a bad thing...but it's also not a necessary thing, either.