New Runner - Looking for Running Shoes Advice

Options
nickip91
nickip91 Posts: 20 Member
Hi All,

I am currently on W4 of the C25K program and loving it. I definitely want to continue running!

I feel that I need to get some decent shoes, particularly as I seem to be getting shin splints. I don't really want to spend over £100, so any suggestions of (UK) retailers and brands of shoes would be greatly appreciated.

If by luck anyone who reads this is based in Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire and can recommend a local retailer, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys :) x.

Replies

• ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Go to somewhere like Sweat Shop or Runner's Need (or one of those shops) and get a proper gait analysis done. Get them to fit you for shoes so you know which brand/model to buy and then go and buy the same thing on the internet for less :)

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/stores
    http://www.runnersneed.com/store/content/fcp-content

Is worth getting the insoles customised though. It really makes a difference with my shoes as they are properly customised and have the right support.

TBH if ANYONE recommends a pair of shoes without doing a proper analysis of your gait, run a mile!!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Find a running store if possible and get fitted. otherwise, I know Brooks has a fit guide for their shoes, and I think it was runnersworld.com had a "shoe finder" feature after you answered some questions.
  • mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner also. I went and got fitted for shoes at a running store. After they analyzed the way I ran, they brought out several different pairs of shoes that they though might be good for me. After trying them all on, I ended up with a pair of Brooks GTS 12's. I love them. But everyones feet are different!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Do not be afraid to spend money on quality shoes. The shoe should be about the fit not about the price. But, a tip for what I do. I usually end up getting fitted and then buy online or go to a discount shoe store and see if they have them there. Here in the states we have stores called Rack Room Shoes, and a lot of times I can find the shoes I just got fitted in for a fraction of the price.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Do not be afraid to spend money on quality shoes. The shoe should be about the fit not about the price. But, a tip for what I do. I usually end up getting fitted and then buy online or go to a discount shoe store and see if they have them there.
    I couldn't agree more...your feet are one of the most important things to take care of. Even though it sucks, spend more if need be.....and make sure you're wearing the right shoe for you.

I got fitted at a running store, then found them for a lot less on roadrunnersports (dot com). Not sure if they deliver to the UK, but worth checking into.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Do not be afraid to spend money on quality shoes. The shoe should be about the fit not about the price. But, a tip for what I do. I usually end up getting fitted and then buy online or go to a discount shoe store and see if they have them there.
    I couldn't agree more...your feet are one of the most important things to take care of. Even though it sucks, spend more if need be.....and make sure you're wearing the right shoe for you.

I got fitted at a running store, then found them for a lot less on roadrunnersports (dot com). Not sure if they deliver to the UK, but worth checking into.

^^^^ Exactly... if you have the right shoes you are less prone to injury. SweatShop in the UK did my ones. The bonus with Sweatshop is that if the shoes are wrong or you start having problems you can take them back for up to a month afterwards regardless of how many times you have used them.

I find that having the paid so much for the shoes makes me run as well because I dont want to have wasted the money :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Another vote for getting fitted for shoes.

Go to a running specialty store and get the shoes that are right for you.
  • annahlotr
    annahlotr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Getting fitted for shoes has made my life a lot easier.

I went to a running specialty store, and they worked around my issues and found four pair that would work, then I walked a while in each pair to figure out which one would be best. I spend way too much on my shoes, but it's less than paying for another injury.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I cannot stress this enough to people go get fitted and spend the money. I made my husband go get fitted and he doesn't even question me now.

I can almost guarantee you wont have shin splints anymore..the right shoes are SO Vital to your running.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There's an Up and Running shop in Aylesbury. I used to live there and they were very good when I first needed trainers fitting.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    not located near you, but best advice is to find shoes that fit your arches.

For me, only a few work, most are too narrow as i have wider feet than most. Nike air running shoes (more specifically, air agitates and shox) are wider and flatter in the middle so they work for me. Almost all other brands like aesics, adidas, etc. are narrower in the middle and I can hardly run a mile before my feet hurt.

Some things to keep in mind when choosing.
  • AliBuffer
    AliBuffer Posts: 9
    Options
    I just bought ASICS Noosa Tri 8s and am obsessed. I have a wider foot and they fit great and are extremely airy- both in the fit and in the material. The bright colors give you great visibility, as well

Highly recommend! ????