Does anyone else PREFER going to classes?

Options
I am one of those fitness class people- I prefer them to working out by myself in the cardio/weight room. I also find that I am more likely to work out if I have a class to go to- with a specific time and time frame. Right now I have a Zumba class 2x per week and I love it. The rest of the week I am squeezing in some cardio on the machines, strength training (LOVE strength training) and taking evening walks with my 8 year old son, but I have a hard time getting motivated to go. Just wondering if there's anyone out there like me.

-Kendra

Replies

• three36love
    three36love Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba class! I've done many Zumba DVDs at home, but nothing beats going to class. I definitely work out harder and push myself more when there are other people around. Plus it's just fun and I've met tons of friends this way.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I would definitely prefer to attend classes but currently I don't speak/understand the native language of the country I live in well enough to go to any.
    DVDs at home get boring and it's easier to give up if you are having a tough day!
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I would not work out if I did not have the aqua classes to go to. I HATE working out, but I hate being ovewrweight more.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see if there are any MEN that prefer classes. It seems women like classes and men prefer to do their own thing. During prime time at my gym all of the women are in classes (Spin, Zumba, Yoga, Body Pump etc) or on cardio machines, its RARE that you see guys in the classes, spin gets maybe 1 or 2 guys.

I will note that member is only $19.99 at my gym, but $39.99 if you want classes (and they throw in tanning and guest passes) - so in that respect women are generally paying more to go to the gym since they are the only ones to care to take advantage of the classes.
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love classes. I go to classes on Mon/Tues/WEds that are weight lifting type of class. Weds is also Water Zumba class so I work out for two hours that night. I want to add in a Zumba class on Friday/Saturday but regular zumba really seems to twist my knees.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see if there are any MEN that prefer classes. It seems women like classes and men prefer to do their own thing. During prime time at my gym all of the women are in classes (Spin, Zumba, Yoga, Body Pump etc) or on cardio machines, its RARE that you see guys in the classes, spin gets maybe 1 or 2 guys.

I will note that member is only $19.99 at my gym, but $39.99 if you want classes (and they throw in tanning and guest passes) - so in that respect women are generally paying more to go to the gym since they are the only ones to care to take advantage of the classes.

My DH goes to more classes than I do! One of the instructors at our gym is a man, and so DH goes to a circuit class taught by him, as well as the BodyPump and Spin classes that we attend together.

I like the social aspect of classes, as well as the fact that they probably motivate me to work harder than if on my own.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    group classes are geared towards women.. hence a significant amount of women are in classes. I do Body combat for cardio. I love Nike Training Club, which is geared to those who are alreadying working out and want to take it to the next level. There are more guys in Nike class.

Otherwise... Weight floor and run... I like my own music.
  • bjune5
    bjune5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    YES this is me! I love going to different classes to keep it interesting. Also, there are about 5 of us who have become close and attend the classes together. When one misses a class, we get on them if they don't have a good excuse (work, kids, etc.)
    I don't slack off in a class. Everyone sees you! :smile: On a machine it is hard at times to keep that level of intensity for 45 min. And it gets boring.

I do work out at home once or twice a week with DVDs or the treadmill if I need to add more exercise to my routine that week
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I love taking TRX and a few other classes at my gym. I tend to thrive and push myself harder when there is structure and someone pushing me. Plus the social and support aspect of it makes it even more enjoyable.