Honey v Blue Agave?

Options
Joshacham
Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
I read an article the other day that says blue agave is better than honey. I use honey for my pancake in the morning and I know there's a ton of a sugar in honey. This article said blue agave has less sugars and is sweeter than honey so I was interested to try it out. Grabbed some yesterday, tried it out and it's two scoops of okay. I prefer honey, for sure, but I started to compare their nutritional facts against each other and they're 99.9% the same! The only difference would be total fat, blue agave has 5% and honey has 6%. As I'm typing this, I am having my breakfast with blue agave and I'm not too thoroughly pleased with the "sweeter taste." :grumble:

Is there any other benefits to blue agave over honey that I should know to put up with the taste or should I just say fork it and stick with honey without any regard? :huh:

Replies

• jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    There's fat in honey and agave? Did you mean carbs (or sugars)?

Anyway, here's what I understand. The biggest health claim for agave is it's lower glycemic index. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as honey sugar-wise. One possible knock against it: it's mostly fructose, and supposedly very similar to HFCS.

I bought some to sweeten my homemade vanilla yogurt, thinking that the more neutral taste would be better than honey or even cane sugar. I found the taste to be kind of meh. More problematic: both my husband and I had "intestinal discomfort" after eating it (just a small quantity in the yogurt). This seems to be a problem for some people. All in all, I'm not a fan.

On pancakes: maple syrup all the way!
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    There's fat in honey and agave? Did you mean carbs (or sugars)?

Yes I did. I was going from memory and completely blew it. :laugh: If my honey has fat I might have to find a new brand.

Oh boy... I really don't need some intestinal discomfort today. :embarassed:
  • Joyce0123
    Options
    I recommend you below an other site about Is a Agave better than Honey and extremely helpful and well explain.
    - See more at:
    http://www.liveyourlifenaturally.com/is-agave-better-than-honey