Should Trainer Ask Health History?

Options
bjune5
bjune5 Posts: 70 Member
Hello All!
I’ve been doing group training sessions for the last 6 months with a trainer. I started getting meal plans from her about 1 month ago.
My trainer never asked me to complete a health history questionnaire or did an interview. Shouldn’t the trainer have done this?
Should I offer my health history? I have borderline diabetes and I have thyroid issues (due to the fact I don’t have a thyroid:wink: ).

Thanks!

Replies

• WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    I’ve been doing group training sessions for the last 6 months with a trainer. I started getting meal plans from her about 1 month ago.
    My trainer never asked me to complete a health history questionnaire or did an interview. Shouldn’t the trainer have done this?
    Should I offer my health history? I have borderline diabetes and I have thyroid issues (due to the fact I don’t have a thyroid:wink: ).

Thanks!

I'm not a personal trainer but I'd assume that would be one of the first things I'd want to know about a client of mine especially if I am going to the lengths of creating a custom meal plan for them. Just my two cents.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My coach asked me all about my health and fitness before we started and then did a fitness/mobilty/strength test and built me a program from there. It gave me a lot of confidence knowing they knew what they were talking about.
  • christy7322
    christy7322 Posts: 31
    Options
    Absolutely! This was one of the first things my trainer asked, it took an hour for us to go through the health assessment and physical assessment.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Um, yes. There are a lot of trainers who just hand out the same plan to everyone, and some will even shamelessly call it "customized" because maybe they plugged in your height and weight to get your calorie allotment (but probably didn't). They are bad trainers, and you shouldn't give them money. Run!

(edit: or speedwalk, or bicycle away as fast as you can, depending on your personal level of fitness and health history. :wink: )
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I would think at the very least they'd want to know of asthma, heart problems, injuries, etc. Also, unless your trainer is also a registered dietician or a certified nutritionist, I, personally, would not take nutrition advice from them, or at least take it with a large grain of salt, especially if you are borderline diabetic.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Yes. He just thinks of you as a paycheck if he didnt care enough to ask.