BBQ's :/

xxxaxlroseloverxxx
xxxaxlroseloverxxx Posts: 17
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
hey!
does anyone have any good tips for keeping the calories down at a BBQ???
we will be BBQing all day... but i dont want to let my diet slip... iv already substituted my Cider for vodka and diet coke... anyone have any other tips??
x

Replies

• mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    If are hosting it do a fruit and veg platter and avoid the chips and dip. If you have a choice do a grilled chicken breast instead of a burger. Eat the thin buns intead of the regular ones, grill LOTS of veggies. I LOVE grilled veggies.

If you are going to one then bring a fruit/veg platter and snack on that :) Have fun. We have a long weekend here in Canada and we will be doing ALOT of BBQing also.
  • How about BBQ'ing vegetable kebabs? I like having peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and I add small pieces of beef onto the skewers. They taste lovely and are always good when we do BBQ's.
    Hope you get some healthy ideas from this forum.
    X
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    If are hosting it do a fruit and veg platter and avoid the chips and dip. If you have a choice do a grilled chicken breast instead of a burger. Eat the thin buns intead of the regular ones, grill LOTS of veggies. I LOVE grilled veggies.

If you are going to one then bring a fruit/veg platter and snack on that :) Have fun. We have a long weekend here in Canada and we will be doing ALOT of BBQing also.

I agree

The thin bun ideas are a very good idea.......along with the chicken breast and loads of fruits and veggie

Personally I would just make it my cheat day.....lol......More power to you girl

Have fun
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Stay away from chips, breads, tater salads, coleslaws (heavy mayo stuff).

Go for grilled chicken, lean steaks, turkey burgers, green salads, veggies spears. (Oh and water)

You'll do fine, just keep your eye on the prize (no not the burgers!!).

Just a side note: Vodka is better served being mixed with Sprite Zero. (IMHO). :tongue:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Grilled squash is awesome, a little EVOO and garlic... mmmmm

Hummus and veggies

If you're cooking, maybe make up some Texas/Cowboy Caviar (http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=texas caviar).... good with lettuce wraps!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    stay away from the mayo based sides and if you do protein make sure it is a lean cut. If you are going to have a burger think about doing it with out the bun. Grilled veggies are really tasty so fill up on those.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    I agree with miqisha about calling it a cheat day. I have been enough diets in my life time to know that when you start denying yourself foods around you that others are enjoying you start to resent your diet and things go downhill from there. Survey the options, make smart ones, but if you really want a burger... have a half one. Load it with lots of veggies and try to skip the cheese. As for the alcohol, make yourself drink one water between each beverage.

I am sorry I didn't see how long you have been at this, but it doesn't take long for your body to take over and help you make good choices.

What about getting a relay race going or a game of tag to get in some exercise and burn off some of those extra calories as well?

L
  • thisemmabites
    thisemmabites Posts: 117
    Well I'm impressed with anyone who can hold out on the yummy side dishes. Myself.. well. Even if I semi behave at a bbq, I'm looking at 1,000 cals. I keep track of EVERYTHING that I put in my mouth, whether I use a text message, or just write it down on some paper. I go for the veggies and fruit, but I still eat my favorites. Even if it's only two tablespoons worth. I eat slowly so I can feel when I'm stuffed. Sometimes ya just gotta have a lil bit a this and a lil bit a that, ya know?!
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    I agree with all of the other posts,I would add to enjoy yourself first and foremost,keep up with what you do have so that you can plug it into MFP tommorrow and if you do go over a little no big deal you have the rest of the weekend to tighten the belt so to speak.Also if the opportunity presents itself get you a good 3 or 4 hundred calorie burn before you go that will give you a little more wiggle room.

I party and BBQ quite frequently and I'm loosing 2 to 3 lbs a week,these are definitely keys to my success this far.

Best wishes and have a blast!
  • thanks guys! all amazing tips :) im sure it will be great tomorrow... im going to try and be good... but might have the odd nibble... am planning on walking up a hill the day after to burn off anything i may have put on :)
    think the best option is to have fun and not to be too strict.. else i wont enjoy it!
    THANK-YOU ALL! :) x x
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    thanks guys! all amazing tips :) im sure it will be great tomorrow... im going to try and be good... but might have the odd nibble... am planning on walking up a hill the day after to burn off anything i may have put on :)
    think the best option is to have fun and not to be too strict.. else i wont enjoy it!
    THANK-YOU ALL! :) x x

Uphill both ways? :)
This discussion has been closed.